Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capers now on board
Maybe Cappers is a bridge between Zim Jr taking over full time DC?

Regardless, another strong coach added to the staff. 3-4 looks with Barr and Hunter on the edges could be quite productive. Line would be dependent what kind of 3-4 we run. Big fatties to play two gap or guys who can get upfield in a one gap.

J-Ville plays tough Defense. 

Capers knows Rogers.

Hiring former Head coaches ,IMO, is smart. They get it.  

Thank God he's not young. I've seen two whippersnappers get outcoached by geezer HCs in 3 straight Super Bowls. There's no substitution for experience. 

Little shout out to the Wilfs for shelling out for another coach...

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
It is curious ain't it.
We just keep adding older ...err...experienced minds while other teams look to add youth and new ideas.
We will see what it adds up to. Is he really not interested in anything more or does nobody want Dom for more then this?  I think he won't have much influence on game plans. A role more maybe like looking for tendencies of an opponent then reporting to the boss.
I dont know, if you look at the "youth/new ideas movement "over a period of more than 16-24 games, more often than not their figured out. And figured out by old/experienced coaches and school of thought. 

I know that Capers has been around for a long time, but I thought he was a liability in Green Bay and adding a 3-4 mind to the defense is a peculiar move. He should at least offer some different ideas for the defense & I really don't have any interest in using a 3-4 front as anything more than a change of pace, especially given our questionable DT talent. I do appreciate the Wilf's being willing to spend money to bring in experienced coaches as advisers, but I'm unsure how Capers really fits into things.

There was a time a few years ago when we batted around the idea of using a hybrid 43/34. Or a 43 under with a Leo. Maybe that's Zimmer's idea for keeping the defense competitive after it loses a handful of players. So what would that look like?

The only player on the team capable of being a two-gap nose is Joseph. It's possible Jaleel could do it with a few more pounds. The two OLBs are clearly Barr and Hunter. The inside backers would likely be Gedeon and Wilson. The 5-tech is where it gets hard. Jalyn Holmes is probably better suited as a 5-tech than he is at 3-tech. But that's about it. Maybe Armon Watts and Stephen. But the rest--Odenigbo, Weatherly, Mataafa--are ill fits in that scheme IMO. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
There was a time a few years ago when we batted around the idea of using a hybrid 43/34. Or a 43 under with a Leo. Maybe that's Zimmer's idea for keeping the defense competitive after it loses a handful of players. So what would that look like?

The only player on the team capable of being a two-gap nose is Joseph. It's possible Jaleel could do it with a few more pounds. The two OLBs are clearly Barr and Hunter. The inside backers would likely be Gedeon and Wilson. The 5-tech is where it gets hard. Jalyn Holmes is probably better suited as a 5-tech than he is at 3-tech. But that's about it. Maybe Armon Watts and Stephen. But the rest--Odenigbo, Weatherly, Mataafa--are ill fits in that scheme IMO. 

Agree, MB.  Green Bay ran Capers' D for 8 years and never could find an adequate left side compliment to Matthews but he had good interior linemen.  You need OLB's that can move like crabs and some real studs on the interior line to avoid getting gashed by the run.

Mufasa might work as an ILB...

The Dom may sprinkle in a few wrinkles of a 3/4 look but I'd be shocked as hell if this is a pre-cursor to an all out shift in scheme. 

I think he's hired cause he needed something to do for a year or so...

Or maybe Zimmer wants to get out of the defensive weeds a bit and be more of a HC than DC?  Ok, that's not entirely what I meant but you know what I meant...

I can't recall a coaching staff where there are as many cooks in the kitchen as Zimsu has put together - on both sides of the ball.

The optimist says "great, loads of experience!"

The pessimist says "too many cooks spoil the broth & give each other black eyes"