Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could The Vikings Trade Diggs This Offseason?
Quote: @FSUVike said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
I'd trade Diggs to move up and take Ceedee Lamb or Jeudy if they were there. I'd bet the farm both of them are the next couple of elite receivers in the NFL
So create a need where there wasn't one before and then burn the 1st Round Pick to backfill the need you created. Meanwhile, there are still needs for OT, OG, 3T and CB. Safety to, potentially. 

If Maroon is right and Diggs brings a 1st and 3rd you are really only realistically getting 1 pick cuz you need the other to replace him. That just doesn't seem like enough to make it worth it IMO.
well you will also pick up a shit load of cap space as well as hopefully a player that is happy to be here and isnt going to be social media cryptic about his desire to play for the Vikings.

5 million is a shit load of cap space? No wonder you hate Kirk's contract so much lol

If we're reflecting on how little he is used for what he's getting paid...

I want to know why he was extended in the first place - then Thielen - then Cousins brought in - to run THIS offense?! How much money do you need into the passing game to rely on a rookie offensive coordinator and a 2nd round RB you aren't going to want to pay anyway?

I mean, take just a step or two back in time past justifying moving Diggs because we're 30th in attempts - how the hell did we ever get to this point? It bothers me thinking about how shit our passing game recently was - to have Diggs emerge and get paid to continue doing it - to have Thielen get paid - then bringing in Cousins - and being right back where we were with all of them here!

Then promoting Kevin Stefanski and having the offense go 30th in passing attempts. I don't understand how Irv Smith is on the Kyle Rudolph career trajectory. I don't understand why Kyle doesn't run more routes (except, he's getting older and older). I want to pull my hair out contemplating how dis-coordinated it all really is.  

I want to pull my hair out because you guys are right - we don't need to pay for that shit if we aren't going to use it. We absolutely should be utilizing all of our WRs more. Usually you give extensions and pay players for what they are going to do on the field, not what they have already done. We've paid dudes and have gotten some pretty disconnected, directionless results.

Pretty much all of this went right down the drain this season with Dalvin. And more hair pulling; a lot of us don't want to resign him at a high price tag. So after resigning and spending so much money on the passing game, our offense now went through a lucky 2nd round pick who nobody wants to pay. What are we doing? How does all of this calculated, planned out shit from the front office culminate in that?

What would make far more sense if you did go down this road would be to trade Diggs for a LT and a mid-round pick. Deep Receiver Class. Maybe near-historically deep. You get a Starter and you use the mid-round pick to get Diggs' replacement without hurting another area of need like 3T or CB by burning an early pick on a WR.

I'm betting Minnesota will use a 4th or the earliest compensatory pick on a WR anyway. Too good a class and you need someone to push Bebe off the team. 

5 million is a shit load of cap space? No wonder you hate Kirk's contract so much lol
how do you figure 5 million?  his base is 10.9 with another 600k in roster and workout bonuses.  At most that first rounder would likely cost around 3 million as I doubt you will get anything higher than a mid first rounder (if that even)  and that doesnt say you would have to replace Diggs with that first rounder either you could use our 2nd on a WR or even our 2nd first rounder and bring that 3 million down  more.

and for the record,  I hate most all QB contracts because so few are worth even close to what they are making in relation to what they do for the team.

When we are $12 million in the hole, it looks like a lot.

$5 million this year but with a rookie deal vs Diggs it would be more in years two and three which would help get other guys. I'm not anti Diggs at all, just frustrated with his production in the playoffs given he's our #1 and we saw what other #1's produced in the postseason.

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
If we're reflecting on how little he is used for what he's getting paid...

I want to know why he was extended in the first place - then Thielen - then Cousins brought in - to run THIS offense?! How much money do you need into the passing game to rely on a rookie offensive coordinator and a 2nd round RB you aren't going to want to pay anyway?

I mean, take just a step or two back in time past justifying moving Diggs because we're 30th in attempts - how the hell did we ever get to this point? It bothers me thinking about how shit our passing game recently was - to have Diggs emerge and get paid to continue doing it - to have Thielen get paid - then bringing in Cousins - and being right back where we were with all of them here!

Then promoting Kevin Stefanski and having the offense go 30th in passing attempts. I don't understand how Irv Smith is on the Kyle Rudolph career trajectory. I don't understand why Kyle doesn't run more routes (except, he's getting older and older). I want to pull my hair out contemplating how dis-coordinated it all really is.  

I want to pull my hair out because you guys are right - we don't need to pay for that shit if we aren't going to use it. We absolutely should be utilizing all of our WRs more. Usually you give extensions and pay players for what they are going to do on the field, not what they have already done. We've paid dudes and have gotten some pretty disconnected, directionless results.

Pretty much all of this went right down the drain this season with Dalvin. And more hair pulling; a lot of us don't want to resign him at a high price tag. So after resigning and spending so much money on the passing game, our offense now went through a lucky 2nd round pick who nobody wants to pay. What are we doing? How does all of this calculated, planned out shit from the front office culminate in that?
ask the coach.

Khalil, Elf and Bradburry... all OL first round picks and only one of them have worked out (so far). Yeah let's trade a known and proven player and get picks... create a need at WR. Then use the two picks (we may get) to draft an OL player and hope he works out and also use the "other" pick to draft another WR to hopefully fill the void created by trading Diggs. Arent we a few years removed from trying to find WR 3? Let's start all over after all Bisi can become WR 2

I might think twice about trading away Diggs. Part of it could depend on how durable Thielen is. Hammies can be tricky but hopefully he doesn't have any lingering issues.