Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could The Vikings Trade Diggs This Offseason?
https://thevikingage.com/2020/02/06/coul...iggs/quote

30th in pass attempts
$58 million of a ~$200 million cap tied up in Cousins, Thielen, and Diggs

Remembering back to the days of Robert Ferguson and Bobby Wade, I'm not crazy about moving a talented but obvious diva, but man, how can you make a strong case for keeping him?  Especially in light of his desire to be gone?

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
https://thevikingage.com/2020/02/06/coul...iggs/quote

30th in pass attempts
$58 million of a ~$200 million cap tied up in Cousins, Thielen, and Riggs

Remembering back to the days of Robert Ferguson and Bobby Wade, I'm not crazy about moving a talented but obvious diva, but man, how can you make a strong case for keeping him?  Especially in light of his desire to be gone?
I know at least one guy that will.

LInk's not working. Did Diggs say something? 

https://thevikingage.com/2020/02/06/coul...ade-diggs/

Does this one work?

Nothing really new from Diggs other than a few more cryptic tweets.

Of all the Playoff Teams which ones didn't want to establish an effective rushing attack early and often? Kansas City. Maybe Houston or New Orleans? I'd argue that all three wanted to but just didn't have the personnel.

The percentage of money vs. the cap tied up in the passing attack will change by the end of those contracts. Minnesota paid them when they had to bjt those combined deals will be less than the next big QB extension and say retaining 1 good WR.

What you're really complaining about is the lack of innovative ways to involve both Diggs and Thielen. That has been on the OCs. Every team wants to establish the run to make it easier to throw. So it's not the philosophy. 

The problem has been when the run isn't working and Play Action is less of a threat because of it why can't Diggs and Thielen take over? Because D-Flopper and Stefanski didn't have a plan. Well, D-Flop had like 30 plans and could never commit to any of them. Kevin's Plan B was try more Plan A.

Kubiak is not some hotshot kid that thinks he knows it all. He's earned his scars. And he'll have schemes ready to implement to crank up the passing game when the Vikings can't run it.

So why limit what he can do by trading Diggs? Now 32 teams will double Thielen. And can still double either Rudy or Irv. Who's going to take advantage of that? Bisi? Nice kid, more of a possession receiver. Draft Pick? Deep Class but if you end up with another Treadwell you're screwed. Free Agent? Would need to be a Tier 3 guy.

It's not the run-first philosophy or the contracts that are the problem. It's piss poor Pass Protection and highly questionable playcalling. This offseason hopefully fixes the former, Gary Kubiak fixes the latter.

I'd trade Diggs to move up and take Ceedee Lamb or Jeudy if they were there. I'd bet the farm both of them are the next couple of elite receivers in the NFL

I, for one, would not be too sad seeing him go.  Same with RB's.  Universities graduate dozens each year.  Put the money into linemen that can be with a team for a decade.

I think it's something to consider, especially given that this is mostly a run-first, two tight team. And we'd get a lot for him--probably get a 1st and a 3rd, which is tempting. Also arguing for it is the fact that while Diggs is one of the most talented receivers in the league, he struggles to get targets in this offense. I think I read he was the 38th most targeted receiver in the NFL. If that's all he's going to get in this offense, you might as well throw a journeyman out there.

The argument against is that Thielen and Cook become less effective, it only shaves about $5M from our cap, and Rick and Mike are in the last year of their contracts. So it's not in their best interest to trade a star for a draft pick. Without a commitment, those two will want to field the best team possible in 2020, not 2022. 

Quote: @Ralphie said:
I, for one, would not be too sad seeing him go.  Same with RB's.  Universities graduate dozens each year.  Put the money into linemen that can be with a team for a decade.
THIS THIS and maybe a little more of THIS!

We need to build from the lines out,  DE is pretty set,  we are sorely needing a nose and 3T,  and OL is definitely on the wish list at all positions.   The notion that we should be looking at skill positions when the lines are not set is premature and unfortunately has been the direction of this team far to often.   After O an D line,  look at QB and LB,  then to the DBs and WR/RB... oh and just so Rick doesnt have complete withdrawls... letting him grab a special teamer every other year in the 6th or 7th rounds.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
I'd trade Diggs to move up and take Ceedee Lamb or Jeudy if they were there. I'd bet the farm both of them are the next couple of elite receivers in the NFL
So create a need where there wasn't one before and then burn the 1st Round Pick to backfill the need you created. Meanwhile, there are still needs for OT, OG, 3T and CB. Safety to, potentially. 

If Maroon is right and Diggs brings a 1st and 3rd you are really only realistically getting 1 pick cuz you need the other to replace him. That just doesn't seem like enough to make it worth it IMO.