Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Payton/Saints will move forward with Hill over Bridgewater
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I don't think that Taysom Hill is a franchise QB if you apply the normal definition. I think the Saints picture more of a dual QB situation which very well may include Bridgewater. They negate Hill's swiss-army knife versatility when he is solely the QB. You need another guy for him to play off of. 
Don't know how that can happen. Again, if I'm reading their salary structure right, Brees cap hit whether he plays or not is at least $21M. How do you absorb that and pay Teddy the kind of contract that he will almost certainly command on the open market? Maybe there's something I'm not considering, but if you're Teddy I think you just won the lottery.

By choosing the backup job in New Orleans over the starting job in Miami, he was able to put 5 games of good football on film, show the league that this 27 year old former Pro Bowl and Rookie of the Year QB is once again healthy in a year when there are at least 10 teams looking for an answer at QB. 

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
The moral of any story about Teddy Bridgewater is you better not say anything bad about his abilities.

I can't wait for him to get a chance to play a full season and shows one way or another how good he is or could become.
Agreed. I think we all like Teddy here, I'm just not as high on him as a potential starter as some others. Its all good. 

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
The moral of any story about Teddy Bridgewater is you better not say anything bad about his abilities.

I can't wait for him to get a chance to play a full season and shows one way or another how good he is or could become.
Well he was 5-0 this year as a starter and in case you missed it, he did start an entire season and was 11-5, won the division and was a fluke missed FG from winning a playoff game, so I am pretty sure he has already proven himself and that will show when a team signs him to be their starter soon.  

In regards to the Saints, just another sign of what garbage the franchise is.  I am sure they talked to him about taking over for Brees which was a factor in him choosing to stay there.  I look forward to seeing them play Mr. Gadget.  Coming in and surprising the defense a play or two a game is much different than having a team game plan around you.  

13 career pass attempts and Hill turns 30 in August. 

This idea/plan makes no sense to me. Seems like complete BS.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HillTa00.htm

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
I don't think that Taysom Hill is a franchise QB if you apply the normal definition. I think the Saints picture more of a dual QB situation which very well may include Bridgewater. They negate Hill's swiss-army knife versatility when he is solely the QB. You need another guy for him to play off of. 
Don't know how that can happen. Again, if I'm reading their salary structure right, Brees cap hit whether he plays or not is at least $21M. How do you absorb that and pay Teddy the kind of contract that he will almost certainly command on the open market? Maybe there's something I'm not considering, but if you're Teddy I think you just won the lottery.

By choosing the backup job in New Orleans over the starting job in Miami, he was able to put 5 games of good football on film, show the league that this 27 year old former Pro Bowl and Rookie of the Year QB is once again healthy in a year when there are at least 10 teams looking for an answer at QB. 
The Saints are not afraid to kick money down the road on their key players so they can still open up some significant space through bonus restructures and voidable years. They also have about $70M coming off the books in 2021 even though they'll need to sign Kamara (trade candidate) and Rankins. They still should be really motivated them to move some money into 2021. They also could resign Bridgewater on a short-term deal with 2 voidable years to lower the cap hit to about $5M in 2020 while still paying him market rate. Cap manipulation at its finest. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

The Saints are not afraid to kick money down the road on their key players so they can still open up some significant space through bonus restructures and voidable years. They also have about $70M coming off the books in 2021 even though they'll need to sign Kamara (trade candidate) and Rankins. They still should be really motivated them to move some money into 2021. They also could resign Bridgewater on a short-term deal with 2 voidable years to lower the cap hit to about $5M in 2020 while still paying him market rate. Cap manipulation at its finest. 
Maybe Teddy Bridgewater really is a sweet innocent man-child like some of his fans believe - because if he agrees to sit behind Brees for another year, he's naive and it's going to cost his career. By staying with the Saints in 2019, he proved his knee was recovered and he can play - a year ago, teams may have doubted both and so maybe he didn't receive great offers. But what does he show the league by sitting behind Brees (with the sideshow of Hill) in 2020? That he's afraid his body can't hold up for 16 games, or that he doesn't feel he can produce on a team without great offensive weapons? Or that he believes Sean Payton's BS??

Step up, Teddy, take the wheel somewhere. A quarterback gets too close to 30 and everyone starts believing he's a career backup.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Maybe Teddy Bridgewater really is a sweet innocent man-child like some of his fans believe - because if he agrees to sit behind Brees for another year, he's naive and it's going to cost his career. By staying with the Saints in 2019, he proved his knee was recovered and he can play - a year ago, teams may have doubted both and so maybe he didn't receive great offers. But what does he show the league by sitting behind Brees (with the sideshow of Hill) in 2020? That he's afraid his body can't hold up for 16 games, or that he doesn't feel he can produce on a team without great offensive weapons? Or that he believes Sean Payton's BS??

Step up, Teddy, take the wheel somewhere. A quarterback gets too close to 30 and everyone starts believing he's a career backup.

Teddy will not be on the Saints in 2020. It's about as close to impossible as impossible gets.