Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Payton/Saints will move forward with Hill over Bridgewater
Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reported today that Saints coach Sean Payton believes that Hill is ready to become the Saints’ franchise quarterback as soon as Brees retires.

Since this is Glazer, I believe it. I think it says a lot about Teddy, IMO. He's beloved from a person standpoint, a lot less so from a NFL QB standpoint. 

If the Packers only realized what they lost.... Wink

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reported today that Saints coach Sean Payton believes that Hill is ready to become the Saints’ franchise quarterback as soon as Brees retires.

Read more: http://vikinghorn.proboards.com/thread/11041/taysom-teddy#ixzz6CQTnakiW

Since this is Glazer, I believe it. I think it says a lot about Teddy, IMO. He's beloved from a person standpoint, a lot less so from a NFL QB standpoint. 
I don't think it says anything about anyone. I think if this is even true, which I doubt, then it's more about smoke and maneuvering than anything else. Hill is a RFA (read: tied to a draft pick). So talking him up is in their best interest. What's more, there's no possible way to keep Bridgewater and Brees. So if Brees decides he wants to come back, they HAVE TO let Bridgewater go. Zero choice. Another reason to talk up Hill. 

Sure, it's possible that the Saints are ready to change their entire offense and play run and shoot. The NFL does seem to be trending that way. But keep in mind a couple of things. Hill isn't young. He's the same age as RGIII. Didn't play a single game where he completed more than ONE pass. And when Brees went down, the QB who came in and won 5 games for the Saints was Bridgewater, not Hill. But suddenly Hill is their QBOTF? Man, I hope so. 

I hope it's true. They can become irrelevant again. Watch Teddy go somewhere else when they think he stays and then Brees retires. I would totally laugh my ass off. A bunch of fans were saying on Twitter that they want him over Brees. A few gadget plays and they have a QB. Yeah right whatever.

If I'm the Dolphins, I take a hard run a Teddy and use those 3 firsts to build an offense around him...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
If I'm the Dolphins, I take a hard run a Teddy and use those 3 firsts to build an offense around him...
That wouldn't be my tactic. Not sure what Teddy brings that Fitzpatrick doesn't. Draft a QB. Its not like you'd stop building an offense for any QB. What it comes down to is how an organization feels about Bridgewater. You might be right, that could be what they do. And I wouldn't bag on it. I just think IF the Saints aren't enamored enough with Teddy to keep him, that says something. Maybe the Glazer story is planted or just false. But that's not usually the deal with Jay Glazer. 

I'm very interested to see how it all goes down. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Read more: http://vikinghorn.proboards.com/thread/11041/taysom-teddy#ixzz6CQTnakiW

I don't think it says anything about anyone. I think if this is even true, which I doubt, then it's more about smoke and maneuvering than anything else. Hill is a RFA (read: tied to a draft pick). So talking him up is in their best interest. What's more, there's no possible way to keep Bridgewater and Brees. So if Brees decides he wants to come back, they HAVE TO let Bridgewater go. Zero choice. Another reason to talk up Hill. 

Sure, it's possible that the Saints are ready to change their entire offense and play run and shoot. The NFL does seem to be trending that way. But keep in mind a couple of things. Hill isn't young. He's the same age as RGIII. Didn't play a single game where he completed more than ONE pass. And when Brees went down, the QB who came in and won 5 games for the Saints was Bridgewater, not Hill. But suddenly Hill is their QBOTF? Man, I hope so. 
I think this is the correct answer.  I think they know Brees is coming back for a
year, and that Teddy is going to need to get a starting job and a starting
salary somewhere.  They can keep Hill
around for another year for a manageable cap amount.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
That wouldn't be my tactic. Not sure what Teddy brings that Fitzpatrick doesn't. Draft a QB. Its not like you'd stop building an offense for any QB. What it comes down to is how an organization feels about Bridgewater. You might be right, that could be what they do. And I wouldn't bag on it. I just think IF the Saints aren't enamored enough with Teddy to keep him, that says something. Maybe the Glazer story is planted or just false. But that's not usually the deal with Jay Glazer. 

I'm very interested to see how it all goes down. 
All it says is that the Saints can't afford Brees and Bridgewater together. They just can't. Even if Brees retires, his cap hit in 2020 is $21M. Saints can't pay that and give Bridgewater the contract that he's going to command. Because of kicking the can down the road with Brees they've put themselves in a position where they have only one choice: If Brees is going to cost you $21M whether he plays or not, you might as well let him play. 

I don't think that Taysom Hill is a franchise QB if you apply the normal definition. I think the Saints picture more of a dual QB situation which very well may include Bridgewater. They negate Hill's swiss-army knife versatility when he is solely the QB. You need another guy for him to play off of. 

The moral of any story about Teddy Bridgewater is you better not say anything bad about his abilities.

I can't wait for him to get a chance to play a full season and shows one way or another how good he is or could become.