Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a difference a year makes
The hockey hangover took longer than usual to wear off. Training camp helped but I am still waiting to see more from the OL and Shurmur's offense. The run defense still has work to do. Plus we are only on the 2nd preseason game so it's still quite vanilla. And there are other things going on in my life right now.

Quote: @"A1Janitor" said:
Over the years, little things bother me.  And they accumulate to make the NFL less worthy imo.

1.  The fucking refs are horrible.  And the NFL hasn't cared enough to fix it. 

2.  Thursday night football - I do not watch this shitty product unless the Vikes play.  And if they play and don't show up - I am pissed. 

3.  European games.  Fuck off making my team fight travel and jet lag because you are trying to figure out how to make more money. 

4.  Roger Goodell.  Fuck him and his inconsistent rulings.  For a man caring about the NFL brand - we get inundated with gambling and beer commercials.

5.  Goddamn rule changes.   For instance - neutralizing a great kick returner by eliminating kickoff returns.  And constantly changing interfence rules.  

6.  Bullshit calls away from a play that nullify a good play.  Look - if a holding call doesn't influence a play - why do this?  Especially knowing they don't catch legit penalties on every play. 

7.  Screwing with the draft.  I have lost some interest in the draft and football ever since they changed it to Thursday night and Friday night to make money.

8.  Parity sucks - especially for consistent losers every year.  

9.  Politics.  Fuck you Kap.  

Classic. Number 9 is a winner!

I think football is dying a slow death. Or at least morphing into something that older fans don't enjoy as much. A friend of mine texted me literally yesterday to ask if I watched ESPN anymore: a staple program on our college TV sets 10+ years ago. When I told him not really, he said not to bother, and then echoed almost to a T what I've complained about forever about NFL Network. He went on to say it's just daytime TV for casual sports fans. Instead of scores, upcoming games, and play breakdowns, it's current events, the "state of the league", and shit like "mascot wars" that'll attract kids.

The same is true for football. The actual game itself gets lost in the commercial hype for the season and the discussions about refs, rule changes, teams moving, etc. 

And for the most part, I'm fine with not paying attention yet. I check in here occasionally to make sure none of our starters blew a knee out, but I can wait until kickoff for the first game. When the games are on, I'm strapped in and hooked, but by and large I view football as more of a communal thing now where I get 10-15 people over for drinks and food and to bullshit with one another for a full Sunday. 

I'm excited, but more for that than anything else. I know we're not gonna win a Super Bowl this year, but I'm happy with 16 games and possibly one or two more in January if we're lucky.

I think some older fans (not old, older) have kind of pushed themselves away over the years. Millennials that I work with seem more engaged/enthused/less jaded??

That said, I'm a boomer and still a season tix holder, least while I can afford it lol! The other hard, cold reality is that this is a team that loses more than wins in their recent history.

Football fatigue and world fatigue are also factors for me...I haven't watched a game outside of the Vikings since - I cant remember when. 

Quote: @"Tom Moore" said:
I've said it before, but it is almost stunning how little excitement there is so far for the 2017 season.  I know the first preseason game was dull, and we never play many in that game.  But, last season, we were talking Super Bowl coming out of camp.

And it is not even in just Minnesota, I live in Dallas, and besides the suspension of Ezekiel Elliot, there is little buzz on a team that is sure to be playoff bound, even without Elliott.

So, what's up? Has America been saturated and even burned out with too much football coverage?  Or, is it just the last days of summer?
Agree.  For me, I'm tired of the emotional roller coaster so I'm taking a more tempered approach.  I can't wait, though - it will be a fun season as usual.

As for Dallas, I'm thinking Dak does not see the same numbers, or defenses as last year.  Maybe a slight "down" year (not sure you can call a sophomores second year down from only one year of sampling) from his rookie, ala sophomore slumpish.

I think sports are just taking more of a backseat to real
life right now.  It seems like global
events are just stealing a lot of the attention and making sports not seem very
important.

A lot of good reasons cited and they all contribute, but I think the biggest is pretty straightforward:

August 2016: Coming off 11-5 season, a 4-game improvement from prior year, beat our archrival to win division, hosted a playoff game and came close to winning it, opening a new stadium.

August 2017: Coming off 8-8 season, a 3-game decline from prior year, beat by Packers near end of season and twice by Lions, finished 3rd in division, and finished with a 3-8 slide that included only 3 wins - never 2 consecutive - since early October.

We were watching a bad, losing team the last three months of last year. No consistency or predictability. Think of the Colts game: they were 7-6 going into it, at home, winnable opponent, in control of having a winning season and possibly making the playoffs - and the Vikings put forth no effort and got routed. Still no explanation for that loss which ended hope of salvaging the season. So why would fans get excited over the same players and same coaches telling us it's going to be better now?

I have hope - really - but until they put some wins and consistent play on the field, I won't be certain this isn't a poor team or maybe one the rest of the league has figured out how to handle at will. But if they get off to a nice start, like 4-2, the enthusiasm will come back quickly.

I've been wanting them to take that damn Viking statue down in front of the stadium and refuse to be a fan until then.  :p

Sports in general is an opportunity to escape from everyday work/family/politics issues.  NFL football has gotten overly political, legal, and too much "air" is being sucked out of the game.  Furthermore, the electricity felt at a home game is there when a stadium is FULL.  The costs of going to an NFL game have hit the "I can't afford this anymore" level, and too many games are played in less-than-full stadiums.

So I'd cite politics, non-football/legal conversations & tarnish, and costs as three cancerous reasons.

Another is simple demographics.  Baby Boomers were the generation that drove mass adoption in sports like tennis, golf, raqcuetball, skiing, and honestly now are driving the growth in the funeral industry.  Boomers can probably afford $800 tickets on the 30 yard line at US Bank Stadium more than Millennials, but there is nothing like Youth to fuel passions.

Millennials (there are more Millennials than any other demographic bulge right now...they are fueling the Craft beer growth, for instance, and are more interested in other "things" than previous generations), are part of a generation that has welcomed Soccer moreso than football, for instance.

Also, you can't ignore the college football machine...if you blow your wad traveling to a big college rivalry game on Saturday, it makes Sunday's professional competition pretty lackluster in comparison.  There are those who would clearly say that the college football product is a better product, with intangibles, such as greater unpredictability, players who compete for the love of the game instead of a big paycheck, and illogical passion for their alma mater (or chosen college fave).  

I have other thoughts, but as consumers, we have choices, and with so many alternatives, and so much divisiveness even in the core of the sport (not saying the NFLPA is wrong, but don't crap in your nest, for God's sake), it's not really difficult to come up with a laundry list of reasons why the bloom might be off the rose.