Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a difference a year makes
I've said it before, but it is almost stunning how little excitement there is so far for the 2017 season.  I know the first preseason game was dull, and we never play many in that game.  But, last season, we were talking Super Bowl coming out of camp.

And it is not even in just Minnesota, I live in Dallas, and besides the suspension of Ezekiel Elliot, there is little buzz on a team that is sure to be playoff bound, even without Elliott.

So, what's up? Has America been saturated and even burned out with too much football coverage?  Or, is it just the last days of summer?

Dallas had been hit with several other suspensions as well for this year... their D which outplayed expectations last year is really thin now. Plus they likely regard Dak's rookie season as a bit flukey.

As for the Vikings, we went from the dizzying rush of 5-0 to watching the OL disintegrate and the coach go blind and our vaunted D pull a complete no-show vs. Indy and missing the playoffs.  Fast forward to July and our new $58 million LT injures himself the first TC practice and the OL and run D look like crap yet again in the first preseason game.

Some teams' fans wait for the other shoe to drop.  Vikings fans wait for the other piano.

I'm still hopeful about the season, but I perfectly understand the skepticism coming along with the hope.

Quote: @Tom Moore said:
I've said it before, but it is almost stunning how little excitement there is so far for the 2017 season.  I know the first preseason game was dull, and we never play many in that game.  But, last season, we were talking Super Bowl coming out of camp.

And it is not even in just Minnesota, I live in Dallas, and besides the suspension of Ezekiel Elliot, there is little buzz on a team that is sure to be playoff bound, even without Elliott.

So, what's up? Has America been saturated and even burned out with too much football coverage?  Or, is it just the last days of summer?
I thinks its a bit of both, but I also think in the fans of Vikings the disappointment of last year is to fresh in everybodys minds.  its not just the uncertainty with the offense,  IMO its also very much about the defense as well.  I dont buy the excuse that the defensive failures last year were a result of the offensive failures and getting left on the  field to long.  They got exposed and I need to see that they can stop the run,  many teams were able to make plays on our D early to extend drives and IMO that is what led to the mid/late season fatigue as much as the offense simply not putting points up.  The offense moved the chains last year.. they just couldnt score points.

but yeah,  to much NFL in the week.  I am ready for the season to get started, but I think they are over saturating season with the thursday games.  ( I dont even really like the sunday night or monday night games.)

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Tom Moore said:

I thinks its a bit of both, but I also think in the fans of Vikings the disappointment of last year is to fresh in everybodys minds.  its not just the uncertainty with the offense,  IMO its also very much about the defense as well.  I dont buy the excuse that the defensive failures last year were a result of the offensive failures and getting left on the  field to long.  They got exposed and I need to see that they can stop the run,  many teams were able to make plays on our D early to extend drives and IMO that is what led to the mid/late season fatigue as much as the offense simply not putting points up.  The offense moved the chains last year.. they just couldnt score points.

but yeah,  to much NFL in the week.  I am ready for the season to get started, but I think they are over saturating season with the thursday games.  ( I dont even really like the sunday night or monday night games.)
I definitely agree that the NFL is over saturating the season with the Thursday night games.  At first I liked the idea of another night to watch the NFL, but the play on Thursday nights has been absolutely atrocious.  You can tell the players and coaches are just not ready for that fast of a turnaround.  That and the majority of the TNF games are shitty matchups anyway.  And last but not least, there are at least a couple of weeks during the season that I forget to set my fantasy lineups by Thursday and due to injuries, bye weeks, etc. it screws me over somehow.

I do enjoy the games on Sunday and Monday nights though.

As to the enthusiasm (or lack of) surrounding the Vikings this year, I think a lot of people really bought into the preseason hype and then the 5-0 start last year, and then of course in total Viking fashion it all fell apart again.  I think people are tired of getting too invested in the team this early in the year, and there are valid concerns that a lot of the issues that led to the collapse last year have not been fully addressed.

I think we're more educated now as fans and less patient for bullshit than ever and that's really what preseason football is: meaningless. Everyone knows it. Wake me up when Thursday night football kicks off the season in September. The online media over hype is becoming so blatantly obvious now and we are saturated. The school year kicks off also in August for families and people try to get in last of the summer vacations in. 

Someday the NFL will get smart and reduce preseason games, reduce frequency of commercials: all it does is provide devastating injuries to teams before the season even begins and frustrate fans with the ridiculous amount of advertising the viewer is subjected to. I expect NFL ratings to be very mediocre again this season compared to what they've had in the recent past. They'll have to make less revenue by improving the viewing experience if they don't want a constant, incremental erosion of TV ratings.

Over the years, little things bother me.  And they accumulate to make the NFL less worthy imo.

1.  The fucking refs are horrible.  And the NFL hasn't cared enough to fix it. 

2.  Thursday night football - I do not watch this shitty product unless the Vikes play.  And if they play and don't show up - I am pissed. 

3.  European games.  Fuck off making my team fight travel and jet lag because you are trying to figure out how to make more money. 

4.  Roger Goodell.  Fuck him and his inconsistent rulings.  For a man caring about the NFL brand - we get inundated with gambling and beer commercials.

5.  Goddamn rule changes.   For instance - neutralizing a great kick returner by eliminating kickoff returns.  And constantly changing interfence rules.  

6.  Bullshit calls away from a play that nullify a good play.  Look - if a holding call doesn't influence a play - why do this?  Especially knowing they don't catch legit penalties on every play. 

7.  Screwing with the draft.  I have lost some interest in the draft and football ever since they changed it to Thursday night and Friday night to make money.

8.  Parity sucks - especially for consistent losers every year.  

9.  Politics.  Fuck you Kap.  

Quote: @A1Janitor said:
Over the years, little things bother me.  And they accumulate to make the NFL less worthy imo.

1.  The fucking refs are horrible.  And the NFL hasn't cared enough to fix it. 

2.  Thursday night football - I do not watch this shitty product unless the Vikes play.  And if they play and don't show up - I am pissed. 

3.  European games.  Fuck off making my team fight travel and jet lag because you are trying to figure out how to make more money. 

4.  Roger Goodell.  Fuck him and his inconsistent rulings.  For a man caring about the NFL brand - we get inundated with gambling and beer commercials.

5.  Goddamn rule changes.   For instance - neutralizing a great kick returner by eliminating kickoff returns.  And constantly changing interfence rules.  

6.  Bullshit calls away from a play that nullify a good play.  Look - if a holding call doesn't influence a play - why do this?  Especially knowing they don't catch legit penalties on every play. 

7.  Screwing with the draft.  I have lost some interest in the draft and football ever since they changed it to Thursday night and Friday night to make money.

8.  Parity sucks - especially for consistent losers every year.  

9.  Politics.  Fuck you Kap.  

So...tell us how you really feel?  But, I couldn't agree with you more.

I actually think there is a lot more to it than just the goings ons of the world of football.

I have the least preseason enthusiasm I can recall since maybe the Steckel era.   Probably some of it is just long term burnout as this team never provides any real payoff for fandom.  It gets you excited then kicks the legs out from under you every time.  

And I just see another 8-8 type year coming because among other things, Tony Sparano is Zimmer's apparent blind spot (no pun intended, coach) and without a competent o-line I see another mediocre season.

Quote: @comet52 said:
I have the least preseason enthusiasm I can recall since maybe the Steckel era.   Probably some of it is just long term burnout as this team never provides any real payoff for fandom.  It gets you excited then kicks the legs out from under you every time.  

And I just see another 8-8 type year coming because among other things, Tony Sparano is Zimmer's apparent blind spot (no pun intended, coach) and without a competent o-line I see another mediocre season.
Ouch - how could anyone get their zest back after Steckle.  He was horrid.