Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What'll happen with Teddy?
I would love for him to come back as our backup.  

I would also love for him to get a starting gig anywhere and win a super bowl. 

I have nothing but love for him. 

I think he’ll get paid $20M+ by some team this offseason.  He’s good enough to be some teams
starter.  I can’t imagine he’ll be
backing up Brees or any other high priced QB next year.  Brees is obviously better than him until he’s
not, so I think they’d rather take Brees, 1 year at a time, over Teddy until he’s
shot as he’s markedly more likely to get them a SB win.

I think he needs to go to a team that has an offensive guru and/or skill position players to unlock his potential (aggressiveness?). 
I don’t think Teddy’s dumb.  I
think he’d take less to go somewhere that will maximize his production, but it
would be hard for him to turn down a legit starters pay to be a backup
somewhere else.

I think New Orleans is the clear front runner and Tampa Bay
would be my second choice.  I think it
would depend on what’s up with Brees in 2020.

Chargers is an interesting idea. First off, because Teddy is really good. But secondly because his personality might help them attract more of the LA market that has been apathetic towards them so far. Bolts marketing could spin a Bridgewater/Ekeler/Allen-led offense as the plucky underdogs of LA pretty easily.
Panthers also makes sense to me. If they want to move on from Cam then they need somebody else. Most fanbases would embrace Teddy before they'd go for Rivers or whoever else is out there.

Ironically, Teddy sitting on the bench in New Orleans while he watches Brees get all these records both helps and hurts his case for staying there. On the one hand, Brees isn't slowing down so Teddy isn't getting to play. On the other hand, Brees is a walking talking example of how QBs can play into their 40s. Teddy is only 27. If he's happy where he is, there's not a huge rush.

Miami would be a good fit...especially if they aren't solid on any of the QBs not named Joe Burrow...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Miami would be a good fit...especially if they aren't solid on any of the QBs not named Joe Burrow...
I can't see him going to Miami considering he turned down a starting job with them to be a backup in New Orleans. A decision that now looks brilliant in hindsight.  

Quote: @A1Janitor said:
I would love for him to come back as our backup.  

I would also love for him to get a starting gig anywhere and win a super bowl. 

I have nothing but love for him. 

Our backup? I know you're mostly just expressing your fondness for Bridgewater, but - am I the only one who thinks quarterback selection is THE critical factor on which the Wilfs are evaluating Spielman? And if so, does he impress them by drafting Teddy, then letting Teddy walk, betting on another expensive veteran QB, but then bringing Teddy back and essentially saying, "Guess I was wrong - again! - but trust me this time"...??
Not to mention we would have about $50M tied up to have Cousins and Bridgewater both on the roster next year.

He should take the money wherever it is to start because this is the best chance at a big payout he has ever had and might not see such a chance again.

Quote: @comet52 said:
He should take the money wherever it is to start because this is the best chance at a big payout he has ever had and might not see such a chance again.
I think this year money will play a bigger part than it did last year. That's not to say he won't still choose a good org to go to. He should have his pick of the litter. 

Brees isn't throwing deep because he can't and hasn't been able to going back to 2017. Zimmer knew it and has been scheming with that in mind.

With as many games as Teddy started, and without the arm strength issue to compensate for, I find it dubious that a Coach of Payton's caliber wouldn't try to add the deep threat dimension. Ginn is still there as well as some young guys that can get deep.

I watched 3 of Teddy's starts and I saw a healthy version of the same guy we saw in Minnesota. He'll go deep on occasion but 95% of the time his fist instinct is short to intermediate. And there's nothing wrong with that. 

My preference will always be for guys who look deep to intermediate and then take the short pass when needed. Cousins is by no means perfect on that regard but he sure as heck looks deep way more than Teddy.

It's a philosophical thing. Chunk plays equals less plays you need in a drive to get a score. Which equals less chance of a drive-killer like a TO, sack, penalty or negative yardage play. Mike Zimmer prefers to bend and not break on Defense instead of attacking because he believes your Offense will make that mistake more often and kill drives instead of scoring. 

My personal preference is to attack on at least one side of the ball. Kirk takes shots. And deeper shots with better spin, trajectory and placement than Teddy. But he's not reckless with it like Case was, who seemed to have an aversion to taking 5 free yards on a checkdown to a wide open RB in the flat.

I still root for Teddy but he's a better fit for teams like Buffalo that are conservative on Offense and attack on Defense.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I can't see him going to Miami considering he turned down a starting job with them to be a backup in New Orleans. A decision that now looks brilliant in hindsight.  
I think there's an entirely different front office and coaching staff now. Home town and zero income tax might be a good draw. Plus Flores had a great second half of the year.