Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Michigan football
Well, at least being a Cubs and Vikings fan isn't quite as bad as it used to be.

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@IDVikingfan said:
@Purplewhizz said:
I don’t understand how they were ranked 14?  With 3 losses.
SEC bias?  Yes, in my book.
I was referring to Michigan
Oops, thought you were talking about Auburn...  My bad.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@comet52 said:
The program should quit pining for past glory and accept that it's just going to be good not great.
Here's the thing about Michigan: its a fairly prestigious academic institution. Way more so than Ohio State. Their standards for admissions are higher. They shouldn't be able to recruit at the levels of a Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama, etc for that reason. I think sometimes national expectations by the media exceed what they can actually consistently do. The program, as you mention, had more prestige back in the day but the powerhouse football schools were a smaller group then.

Michigan is indeed a damn fine academic school. However it is significantly easier for athletes to be admitted to schools. They do not have to meet the same requirements as traditional students. I read an article last recruiting season that stated being a scholarship athlete is the equivalent of an added 200 points on your SAT. Ill see if I can find that article but it blew me away.

As a fellow Vikings and Wolverines fan, I understand. I spent yesterday switching between Minnesota/Auburn and Michigan/Alabama. Eventually I settled into the Michigan/Alabama game because apparently a certain familiar pain is what I have become accustomed to.

I'm originally from Michigan (decided against attending Michigan in favor of a different engineering school, but still consider Wolverines sports a favorite). After stints in a couple of other states, I moved to Minnesota in '98 and immediately fell into the heartbreak Vikings season.

Thank goodness there is life outside of football. But, I understand!

Unfortunately, it's become a blue blood country club, politically correct, entitled culture at Michigan. Beyond that the game has passed Harbaugh by, and the  administration doesn't dare make the necessary change, due to marketing, PR challenges of admitting that Jimmy isn't God, and has topped out as a 9-10 win coach.

Most of all they fear making another face plant move ala Brady Hoke or Rich Rodriguez, while they are still raking in the dump trucks full of cash. They have a lazy slob at the athletic director's position who is afraid to make an informed decision, and actually put the work in to finding a solution to paying top 5 national money for a perennial top 20 team.

Meanwhile in Minnesota...