Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boone Injury Opens a Door?
Boone has a great attitude. If he played as well as he talks, he'd be an all pro. He now has some time in the system and the new blocking scheme should help him a bit. I can't remember if this is his contract year, but if so, I expect better play from him. Kind of sad to hold out hope for an average performance! 

It's been my experience that no matter how bad one of our starters is playing, theu guy behind him is worse. I have yet to see an injury improve this team. Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but there have been mulitple instances of losing a starter to injury, some fans and posters get excited the the replacement is going to be so much better but he's always worse. 

Quote: @twgerber said:
Geez - I don't think Boone is really that bad.  I think he is avg and that's Ok.  I mean look what he has had next to him at LT.  Makes it a lot harder for him to play great.
True, but remember, he was brought here as part of the annual effort to "help Kalil" (Fusco moving to LG was supposed to be the solution in 2015, Boone in 2016). Kalil was beyond help, but my point is that Boone was brought here as a relatively high-priced free agent and both he and the staff had the expectation that he could, at a minimum, hold his own (if not boost the LT next to him). I agree with you that he is average, not terrible. But we might be able to get average from Sirles or someone else for less than Boone's cost.

Quote: @NoGoingBack said:
It's been my experience that no matter how bad one of our starters is playing, theu guy behind him is worse. I have yet to see an injury improve this team. Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but there have been mulitple instances of losing a starter to injury, some fans and posters get excited the the replacement is going to be so much better but he's always worse. 
recently,  Diggs  wasnt a starter until what week 5 that year?  I am sure he was likely the better player all along,  but it took an injury IIRC for him to see the field and then he flew... for a while.   I am sure that there are others as well.

Boone was having a good camp. The game againest the Bills he didn't have a great game.
Are we going to try and pick somebody up off waivers or are we going to keep who we have on the OL?
Another question with the injuries we already have, will we keep 9 or 10  OL on the roster.
I think after the Seahawks game we will have a good idea who is going to be center.

Who gets the start for Boone? Nick Easton, Pat Elflein or Sirles

Easton is my bet.

Easton> Boone...

I want to see Sirles at LG but I doubt it happens until Reiff is back at full go.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@NoGoingBack said:
recently,  Diggs  wasnt a starter until what week 5 that year?  I am sure he was likely the better player all along,  but it took an injury IIRC for him to see the field and then he flew... for a while.   I am sure that there are others as well.

I'm actually surprised at how often the backup comes in and plays better. It's a reminder that the coaching staffs don't always know best.  

Trent Green gets hurt, Kurt Warner comes in and becomes a legend. Bledsoe gets hurt in NE and his replacement is the best QB ever. Diggs is a good example. Couple years ago, rookie Tevin Coleman wins the starting tailback position in Atlanta, gets hurt and his backup DeVonte Freeman comes in and has an all pro season. Giants thought their season was lost a few years ago when they lost Mario Manningham. His replacement was Victor Cruz. DeMarco Murray replacing Felix Jones. Bledsoe, in fact, got Pipped twice. Got hurt again in Dallas and his replacement was Tony Romo. I'm sure there are plenty of others. 

Shit show of injuries on the O-line again. Crazy.