Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boone Injury Opens a Door?
Of all the O-line losses we could afford, I honestly think Boone would be the least likely to hurt us badly. Whoever winds up being our backup Center is probably better suited to be our starting left Guard over Boone. 

As much as I like Elflein at the Center position, he might actually be better at guard. From all indications, he has really great footwork, pulls really well, is very sound technically, and if he can play center, he isn't stupid. Add to that, I think his arm length height is betted suited to guard than Boone. I'm not sure if Easton is as athletic as Elflein, but has a little more experience in the system, so maybe it makes sense to give him the nod making the line calls this year.

Boone has been sliding for at least 3 years, and if he may have just got injured out of a job if somebody shines this week.

I guess I missed Boone being injured,  but I still think that Sirles gave us the best OG play we saw last year in his limited snaps at the position.  Yes he is working at OT currently,  but shit,  I want our best 5 starting regardless of who is where and under what contract situation...sometimes I really question if we get that.

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
I'm not sure if Easton is as athletic as Elflein
Easton is actually more athletic than Elflein. At least in terms of his workout numbers. What makes Elflein good is his technique. Man, he looked good in that Bills game. 

I sort of see it like this: The coaches probably think that Elflein has the potential to be an elite center, but that could take some time. 10 games? A year? Hard to say, but do you put in Elflein and live with him while he cleans up his snapping and line calls, knowing you'll go to the playoffs with a very good center? Or do you keep a more reliable Easton in there and put Elflein at RG, delaying his development at center? Or do you just keep him at guard? I agree with you: Elflein could be even better at guard. He graded better there at OSU, and he's said he prefers playing there. That says something. 

Be interesting to see what happens. But I think this competition will be decided by the 3rd preseason game when Zimmer will probably want to start his intended opening day line up. 

Sounds like Boone's injury is not serious.

Guess it's not a good preseason to work on the left side of the line.  Hopefully all will be healthy when the season opens and the best 5 are lined up and ready to go.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:
I'm not sure if Easton is as athletic as Elflein
Easton is actually more athletic than Elflein. At least in terms of his workout numbers. What makes Elflein good is his technique. Man, he looked good in that Bills game. 

I sort of see it like this: The coaches probably think that Elflein has the potential to be an elite center, but that could take some time. 10 games? A year? Hard to say, but do you put in Elflein and live with him while he cleans up his snapping and line calls, knowing you'll go to the playoffs with a very good center? Or do you keep a more reliable Easton in there and put Elflein at RG, delaying his development at center? Or do you just keep him at guard? I agree with you: Elflein could be even better at guard. He graded better there at OSU, and he's said he prefers playing there. That says something. 

Be interesting to see what happens. But I think this competition will be decided by the 3rd preseason game when Zimmer will probably want to start his intended opening day line up. 

Sounds like Boone's injury is not serious.
Thing is, I'm probably more comfortable with Berger on the right side than I am with Boone on the left. I just don't see anything but a yapping dog over there. The way I see it, both guards will be replaced by this time next year, it's a matter of which one goes first. (my take is Boone). I think we might have the replacement already on the roster.

Boone sucks, I hope he works out but he truly does feel like Fred Smoot number 2.  He wasn't anyones first choice but we all kinda got excited because we made a move on a position we desperately needed.

Smoot is an excellent comparison...Boone has been all bluster to date...hopefully he doesn't own a captain's hat...

Geez - I don't think Boone is really that bad.  I think he is avg and that's Ok.  I mean look what he has had next to him at LT.  Makes it a lot harder for him to play great.

Boone quotes/talk >>>Boone production...Boone salary>>>Boone production...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Boone quotes/talk >>>Boone production...Boone salary>>>Boone production...
this pretty much sums it up to date.  Linemen are supposed to let their play do the talking off the field.... especially when they are part of a historically bad line.