Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rhodes On The Way Out?
Its pretty obvious what he's got can't be fixed. He's a candidate for a restructure or outright release before next year. These big CBs tend to hit a wall earlier than smaller guys for whatever reason. He's looks bigger than I've ever seen him. 

I can't see him taking a roster spot at any price...Need reps for the young guys...Rhodes is a headcase to boot...done...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I can't see him taking a roster spot at any price...Need reps for the young guys...Rhodes is a headcase to boot...done...

He can be a really good trade bait.  Some team will go after him thinking they can fix this problems and bring him around to his former self.  Happens all the time in the NFL.

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

He can be a really good trade bait.  Some team will go after him thinking they can fix this problems and bring him around to his former self.  Happens all the time in the NFL.
i hope you are right Zona.  i cant see us getting more than a 4th for him though sadly

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@ArizonaViking said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

i hope you are right Zona.  i cant see us getting more than a 4th for him though sadly
Exactly.  High enough so other teams don’t grab him. Everyone knows he will be cut. 

It's simple: he lost speed.

Look, Rhodes wasn't a Shut Down CB because he interfered on every play. That narrative is patently ridiculous. As bad as Refs are they're not going to allow a DB to hold all the time. Especially not one that is singled up on Julio Jones or Megatron or AB or Alshon. And you know opposing Coaches would have been in the ear of the Head Ref before and during the game screaming for calls.

Reality is a bit more complicated. Xavier was Fast with a capital F. In 2017 he was clocked with the fastest MPH of any player in the League that season during a Pick 6. Any player in the League that year. That's special stuff.

Rhodes always had the speed to stay with even the shifriest Slot Guys. But he never had great technique. Goodish, not great. So he used his physicality combined with speed to disrupt guys at the top of their routes. And he got away with it because A. He was right there with the Receiver B. He was subtle about it and C. The rules weren't being rigidly enforced.

But with the loss of that speed he's A. Not near the Reciver B. Very obvious with his grabs since he's not close and C. The Refs are calling more holds anyway.

So the rules changing exacerbated his over reliance on playing physical instead of with technique. That makes sense. But where did the speed go? Pumpf and others have noted how much thicker Xavier has gotten the last 2 years. He's also been injured.  A lot. Real injuries. Because he tackles like Sendejo, throwing himself at ball carriers instead of using technique to wrap them up.

Got too big, takes way too much punishment because of his lousy tackling technique and POOF, speed is gone. And so is the confidence. And likely his career. A team would have to outright ignore the 82% completion percentage against him to trade anything for him. Maybe Chucky would, but the rest of the League is way too into analytics to do that.

I imagine part of Zimmer's frustration stems from the fact that he's always had Corners with good Technique. He gets to Minnesota and finds maybe the most physically gifted guy he's ever had but the kid won't refine his technique. Or maybe let it backslide after Newman retired. 

It's not unheard of for a great CB to fall off a cliff. Where's Josh Norman? On the bench is where.

But there's another legit tragedy happening in the Secondary that doesn't get enough attention.  Trae Waynes is in the bottom-third of the League as well. Not as bad as Xavier, but not good. With teams actively targeting Rhodes and yet another year of experience under his belt Waynes should be having a career year. So what the hell is going on with him?

Now Mike has not 1 but 2 CBs playing with crap technique which utterly compromises his Defensive Schemes. Coach Z has ALWAYS had at least 1 if not 2 CBs going all the way back to Dallas that he could trust. Now he's having to trust kids while also implementing a lot of zone looks to counter misdirection and pick plays. Kids in age, technique AND learning a hybrid system.  Ugh.

Tough spot for Mike to be in. Can't trust his veteran CBs for maybe the first time in his career. Kids aren't ready yet. If he blitzes too much and doesn't get home he knows somebody's going to get beat deep. If he doesn't blitz and the Front Four doesn't get pressure somebody's going to get beat deep. 

Imagine if Hughes hadn't got hurt last year where he'd be at developmentally. Or if Waynes hadn't regressed.  Or if Rick & Mike had hit on a 3T in either John's or Holmes. If even 1 of those 3 had happened this would be a typical Zimmer Top 10 or even Top 5 Defense and Minnesota would be a legit threat to win it all.

no sticky he isn't a candidate for restructuring---if  he has truly  lost a step it's not coming back---sucking at a lower price is still sucking

X is done.  I doubt he'll even be in the league next year.

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
He gets “benched” almost every game the last couple seasons.  Throws a tantrum and Zim 
sits him to cool off or some mystery injury after he gets burned a couple times then he sits for a series and miraculously is healed. Honestly he has not impressed me for three years.  

tired of him blowing  a coverage and blaming it on scheme or teammates etc.  Move on he is one of the worst starters in the league let Hughes get some more time at least Hughes has upside.  Rhodes are wide open.
3 years?  He was the top CB in the league in 2017.  Shut down an impressive row of elite WRs.

I find it hard to believe that what we're seeing from Rhodes is age-related decline. He's 29 for Chrissakes. Antoine Winfield was 31 when he went to his 1st pro bowl. Then went to three in a row. I know, different people, different bodies, different styles, but Rhodes should have several years left. 

Makes me wonder if maybe the rule changes have had more impact on Rhodes (and his playing style) than other corners.