Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Punchers Chance
my only problem is we don't put teams away. We should have beat Detroit by way more. Need to have a killer mentality.

Detroit was dead the minute they stepped foot on USB field. That game was never in doubt. And I remember a time when they were undefeated in that bldg lol!

This edition of the Vikings is very hard to predict...Clearly upper echelon, yet capable of losing on any given Sunday too.

It's actually the D that has me the most concerned...That still hasn't quite sunk in yet. I feel like I'm going to watch a Denny Green team. 

What a year and with 3 HUGE games left..

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I'm not getting that 'puncher's chance' vibe from this team....and I've used this very same term in the past to describe teams that are dangerous in a one game situation. Thielen's return is important for the stretch run here, hopefully he indeed does come back for Sunday's game. I like that the last 2 games are divisional and at Minnesota. I'll take a win in any form against the Chargers....boring, disappointing, etc. whatever. Just get the W. 

In my mind, I can't talk playoffs until Minnesota has clinched. Bad things can still happen. I hate to be a worrywart, but the team is to blame for that because historically there have been some disappointing scenarios. My blinders are firmly on, I can only see one game at a time. 
Thats where I'm at.  With the Lambs beating the seaquacks we're no longer a shoe in for a spot.  We've got to take care of business ourselves before we start talking about playoffs.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Detroit was dead the minute they stepped foot on USB field. That game was never in doubt. And I remember a time when they were undefeated in that bldg lol!

This edition of the Vikings is very hard to predict...Clearly upper echelon, yet capable of losing on any given Sunday too.

It's actually the D that has me the most concerned...That still hasn't quite sunk in yet. I feel like I'm going to watch a Denny Green team. 

What a year and with 3 HUGE games left..
Yup.  No use showing much in that game.  Hunter was good enough to stop their offense himself on many occasions.  The offense made one huge long play to diggs that was a dagger.  Other than that, they played it safe and got the win.

Quote: @"comet52" said:
Zimmer stumbles in every game where something is on the line.  The last time he got a critical win was at Green Bay late 2015.  Ever since Blair Walsh he's had cold feet.  Punchers chance but Zim is afraid to throw a punch.

Yep and I think this is far more important than any of the factors FSU listed in his OP. In the playoffs, we will be facing excellent coaches who will come into the game with different game plans than Zimmer will see in his regular season film study, and he always seems shocked when that happens (a la Eagles playoffs 2017) - or when a team makes adjustments at halftime (Saints playoffs 2017). Against teams with lower talent levels (Lions, Giants, etc.) we're fine - but there won't be any of those if we get to the playoffs.

I think you're missing my point J. This Offense, when healthy and clicking, can outscore a team that outcoaches Zimmer's Defense. Even in 17 I never had that feeling. 

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
I think you're missing my point J. This Offense, when healthy and clicking, can outscore a team that outcoaches Zimmer's Defense. Even in 17 I never had that feeling. 

I think what you mean is -
A. You never felt Zimmer's defense was the type of dominant/elite unit that could control the outcome against a playoff opponent, so their 2019 decline doesn't really hurt our chances
+
B. This is the first year you feel our offense could have a chance if we have to get into a shootout

Is that about right? I can see that reasoning, though I don't share your confidence our offense is as good as other playoff teams, especially if Cook doesn't return to his early-season form.

Good assessment.  It all hinges on health and getting good enough pass protection. And playing a clean game in terms of TOs and drive-killing penalties. 

I know that's a lot of IFs, but at least they have a chance, which I haven't felt until now.

Agreed. 

This   team  is better on offense than it is on defense.  Hasn't been like that since 2014

Rule changes, coaches adapting to Zim scheme, players aging.......lots of factors have created the change. 

i'm hopeful Thielens return is the piece that makes the offense "click". 

Whoever wins the NFC will do so by outscoring opponents.   See Niners/Saints last weekend.

I think you are overestimating this offense. I get it, its new territory for Viking's fans, but its not top 3 in the NFC.