Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Punchers Chance
I'm going there. This team has a Punchers Chance of beating San Francisco, New Orleans, Seattle, Dallas and Green Bay on the road in the Playoffs. 

Why?

The Offense. Let that sink in.

In 2017 Minnesota had a greatish Defense and an Offense that had emerging stars at WR, an OC that wouldn't quit on the run game and a backup QB that got lava hot and covered for the massive deficiencies in the O-Line with his feet. This year's team could beat them in the Playoffs. 

Why? Versatility on Offense. It gives you the Punchers Chance to score a knockout against a better foe. Scheme to stop the run, Stefanski, Kubiak and Cousins beat you by making enough plays through the air. Double the WRs and Stefanski, Kubiak and Cook beat you on the ground.

Kirk takes the checkdown when the chunk play isn't there. Stefanski is as stubborn about sticking with the run as Pat was...with a better RB and somewhat better O-Line. There are 4 more receiving threats than just Diggs, Thielen and Rudy (well, maybe 3, Jet was really great even as a decoy coming out of the backfield).

Treadwell was worse than he is now. Bisi is better than Treadwell was in 17. Irv and Conklin. Ham catching passes.

When you have an Offense that has the weapons and Coaching to go off on any Defense on any given Sunday you have a chance to win on the road in the Playoffs. Something I never felt like the 17 team had.

Thielen healthy and productive is the ingredient to this team having a killer uppercut. If the Defense gets halfway back to normal they will add some jabs and body blows to their arsenal. 

I honestly think this team can lose bad or thrash any Playoff team on the road. That's a testament to how far the Offense grown, how open the field is this year and how far the Defense has slipped. 

Interesting times...

After watching the niners and the ain'ts duke it out Sunday, I believe to beat either team in their house we either need our offense to put up 50 points OR we need our defense to prevent both of those teams from putting up 50.
I wanna believe in this team but I'm struggling.

starts up front.....

pound the rock
chew the clock
screens / high percentage throws
and take a shot now and then

keep defense rested

To beat any highflying offense, keep them on the sidelines.  Controlling time of possession and being efficient on offense can beat any team.

Great post. 

Thielen/Diggs  together  cause mandatory  defensive tendencies.

Rudy and Smith together present match up problems. Smith can beat a CB ,S, or LB in a route. Rudy is  larger than any CB,S or LB that may cover him.

Cook and Mattison  can both Block and catch.

Even if a defense could match up with that package in pass coverage, the Vikings can run out of that set.

When Thielen returns, I'd like to see the Vikings go 2 minute hurry up for 1 drive early in a game, just to do it. 

The Vikings went hurry up the 2nd half of the Denver game and the  Broncos defense couldn't defend it.

Quote: @"Hidalgo" said:
After watching the niners and the ain'ts duke it out Sunday, I believe to beat either team in their house we either need our offense to put up 50 points OR we need our defense to prevent both of those teams from putting up 50.
I wanna believe in this team but I'm struggling.
Control field position, no turnovers, great running.  They wont score 50.  Convert long drives. 

I'm not getting that 'puncher's chance' vibe from this team....and I've used this very same term in the past to describe teams that are dangerous in a one game situation. Thielen's return is important for the stretch run here, hopefully he indeed does come back for Sunday's game. I like that the last 2 games are divisional and at Minnesota. I'll take a win in any form against the Chargers....boring, disappointing, etc. whatever. Just get the W. 

In my mind, I can't talk playoffs until Minnesota has clinched. Bad things can still happen. I hate to be a worrywart, but the team is to blame for that because historically there have been some disappointing scenarios. My blinders are firmly on, I can only see one game at a time. 

[Image: s8wqoy9yy6a31.jpg]

"It's not who you play but when you play them." -- Bud Grant

Zimmer stumbles in every game where something is on the line.  The last time he got a critical win was at Green Bay late 2015.  Ever since Blair Walsh he's had cold feet.  Punchers chance but Zim is afraid to throw a punch.

One advantage the Vikings offense will have is that what they've put on film for the last 8 weeks has been without Thielen. And it's not as simple as going back and watching the Vikings offense pre-injury. Offenses evolve during the course of a season. A formation "tell" from week 6 is not going to be the same in week 15. And a formation tell from week 14 without Thielen is not going to be the same as it is with Thielen in the lineup. Now, let's just hope he plays.