Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMO, Cousins is earning his extension here...
Replace Joseph with Atkins, Griffen with a first round pick, Rhodes with a 2nd round pick.  

Grab a mid priced vet CB and NT

Keep Jayron, Harris, Mac,

Develop Hughes, Hill for the outside 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
This D is over priced and under performing and IMO that falls back on the guy who picks the players and designs the system.  If they arent going to fix the D so it is more affordable and effective,  then save the money on KC and rebuild across the board.
I agree the D is under-performing...

How do you think AT, Diggs and Cook would feel with a total re-build and boot the Capt'n too???
I honestly dont care.   Cook is showing once again that he is uber talented,  but is injury prone ( this collar bone thing will likely linger for a week or two)  besides with a 30+ QB, and 2 recievers that are 10+... how much will they have for Cook anyway?

after Diggs antics earlier this year... and now he is dropping balls that need to be caught?

Like I said,  if KC wants 30+ a year that wont leave much room and if we arent going to keep using a top 3 round pick on OL every year... well we know what that will look like so lets not waste any more time and start the rebuild now.  I dont want another decade of drafting 10-25th... if we need to suffer a couple years of suck to assemble some quality across the board then start now.  I am sick of this teeter totter where one side of the ball is awesome at the expense of the other side.

I am sick of a team that fails to show up when they have a chance to make a statement...honestly,  what has this team put their stamp on this year?  they beat a 6-6 cowboy team that might MIGHT win their division by default.... other than that our team is always .... So Close... I am fucking sick of So Close. 

Its time the Vikings swing hard for the fences and if that means they have to strike out a time or two so be it,  but enough of the playing it safe to finish 2nd in the division or go 1 and done in the play offs.   

IMO if teams come calling for Stephanski... keep him and let Zimmer go.  We have had 7 years of holding our breath and waiting on the edge of our seats for that one final piece... well that final damn piece is a moving goal post.

this is all over the place,  but honestly I dont know how many more losses I can take like last night,  or how many more years I can take like this year.

I don't think you need a total rebuild, they have a lot of pieces already.  Hunter, Weatherly, Odenigbo, Jaleel Johnson on the line.  Kendricks and Wilson and probably Barr at LB.  Keep Mac, Hughes, Hill, Harris and Kearse.  Obviously you need to fill in some pieces but I don't believe they are that far away. 

Add a starting DT, another good DE and CB along with a starting caliber Safety. 

I've obviously not completely thought this out but I don't think they need a complete gutting and rebuild.

Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
I don't think you need a total rebuild, they have a lot of pieces already.  Hunter, Weatherly, Odenigbo, Jaleel Johnson on the line.  Kendricks and Wilson and probably Barr at LB.  Keep Mac, Hughes, Hill, Harris and Kearse.  Obviously you need to fill in some pieces but I don't believe they are that far away. 

I've obviously not completely thought this out but I don't think they need a complete gutting and rebuild.
if they arent going to change the D,  I dont think we can afford the type of players that are needed to make Zimmers D work,  and still keep the rest of the team stocked with talent.

as far as who to keep on D,  I agree with most of those guys,  but I dont think we should be looking at keeping Mac and Hughes.  Hughes is good in coverage,  but his lack of size makes him vulnerable to bigger receivers and we have seen him get taken advantage of by those bigger guys several times this year.  I think we need to stick with the long and lean types for our outside coverage guys.   As far as DTs,  better be looking for 2 of them,   we need a better run stuffer,  and certainly are still looking for that 3T guy to get in the QBs face more consistently.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"1VikesFan" said:

if they arent going to change the D,  I dont think we can afford the type of players that are needed to make Zimmers D work,  and still keep the rest of the team stocked with talent.

as far as who to keep on D,  I agree with most of those guys,  but I dont think we should be looking at keeping Mac and Hughes.  Hughes is good in coverage,  but his lack of size makes him vulnerable to bigger receivers and we have seen him get taken advantage of by those bigger guys several times this year.  I think we need to stick with the long and lean types for our outside coverage guys.   As far as DTs,  better be looking for 2 of them,   we need a better run stuffer,  and certainly are still looking for that 3T guy to get in the QBs face more consistently.
Why?  Zimmer got all kinds of consistency out of his D early on from nobodies.  Its time to either reload with nobodies and Zim can start over OR Zim can go and we start over. 

To me its not athletic ability or even scheme.  Its heart and for whatever reason the D doesn't have it anymore. 

Here's the big money contracts that are worth considering:
Griff goes $13M
XR is $10.5M post June 1Joeseph is $11.75M post June 1Harrison Smith looks old but you probably can't cut him till 2021
Rudolph is $8M post June 1Reiff probably doesn't make sense to move on from

I guess, I'd try and resign Waynes but he's made a damn good case for not getting top flight money anymore.  I'd honestly rather keep Harris and Kearse and maybe Mac Alexander if the money allows. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
This D is over priced and under performing and IMO that falls back on the guy who picks the players and designs the system.  If they arent going to fix the D so it is more affordable and effective,  then save the money on KC and rebuild across the board.

How do you think AT, Diggs and Cook would feel with a total re-build and boot the Capt'n too???
I honestly dont care.   Cook is showing once again that he is uber talented,  but is injury prone ( this collar bone thing will likely linger for a week or two)  besides with a 30+ QB, and 2 recievers that are 10+... how much will they have for Cook anyway?

after Diggs antics earlier this year... and now he is dropping balls that need to be caught?

Like I said,  if KC wants 30+ a year that wont leave much room and if we arent going to keep using a top 3 round pick on OL every year... well we know what that will look like so lets not waste any more time and start the rebuild now.  I dont want another decade of drafting 10-25th... if we need to suffer a couple years of suck to assemble some quality across the board then start now.  I am sick of this teeter totter where one side of the ball is awesome at the expense of the other side.

I am sick of a team that fails to show up when they have a chance to make a statement...honestly,  what has this team put their stamp on this year?  they beat a 6-6 cowboy team that might MIGHT win their division by default.... other than that our team is always .... So Close... I am fucking sick of So Close. 

Its time the Vikings swing hard for the fences and if that means they have to strike out a time or two so be it,  but enough of the playing it safe to finish 2nd in the division or go 1 and done in the play offs.   

IMO if teams come calling for Stephanski... keep him and let Zimmer go.  We have had 7 years of holding our breath and waiting on the edge of our seats for that one final piece... well that final damn piece is a moving goal post.

this is all over the place,  but honestly I dont know how many more losses I can take like last night,  or how many more years I can take like this year.

[Image: hug-time.jpg]

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

[Image: hug-time.jpg]

A real friend would buy me a beer... or whiskey. 

For most of the season, I’ve been on the bandwagon that we strongly
need to bring in a young guy to compete with Kirk.  The Seattle game has left me feeling more
hopeful that Kirk might be the guy long term. 
There’s been enough consistency with Good Kirk, through big games, come
from behind games, primetime games that I’m starting to think that maybe he’s
turned the corner.  I’m now starting to
think that DT/OL in the first and second would be a solid look in the draft.  We really need DT help.  I think Josephs days of being a solo
gamewrecker are probably over, but he could be a valuable part of an interior
duo next to a young stud.  I like our
offense, but I think we really need to continue building that OLine.  I think we’re really good at the Outside Zone,
Bootleg, Play Action part of our scheme, but I still think defenses will be
able to sufficiently hinder us with schemes, and force us into a more traditional
passing offense and I think an OLine that can consistently pass block from a
non-moving pocket would take us to the next level, and we have a sizeable
dropoff every time a starter gets injured, so depth would be solid.  Beyond that, I think we can clearly see our lack
of investment of draft capital in the defense showing up.  Hughes will look better next year, another
year removed from his ACL injury.  I don’t
know what’s going on with the rest of the CBs, but we need to figure that
out.  They can’t be both expensive and a liability,
when we’re this close to the cap.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
need to bring in a young guy to compete with Kirk.  The Seattle game has left me feeling more
think that DT/OL in the first and second would be a solid look in the draft.  We really need DT help.  I think Josephs days of being a solo
offense, but I think we really need to continue building that OLine.  I think we’re really good at the Outside Zone,
able to sufficiently hinder us with schemes, and force us into a more traditional
dropoff every time a starter gets injured, so depth would be solid.  Beyond that, I think we can clearly see our lack
of investment of draft capital in the defense showing up.  Hughes will look better next year, another
Agree. Considering there are probably over a dozen teams who desperately need QBs this offseason, it seems silly that a team with an MVP candidate who leads the league in passer rating, would consider itself one of those teams. 

Like you, I tend to think that if we could just continue to build this line into one that would allow us to mix in more traditional drop backs to go with our rollouts and play action, then Cousins would be even better. 

OL, DT, CB in the draft. Then maybe a dev QB. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:
Agree. Considering there are probably over a dozen teams who desperately need QBs this offseason, it seems silly that a team with an MVP candidate who leads the league in passer rating, would consider itself one of those teams. 

Like you, I tend to think that if we could just continue to build this line into one that would allow us to mix in more traditional drop backs to go with our rollouts and play action, then Cousins would be even better. 

OL, DT, CB in the draft. Then maybe a dev QB. 
For me, I don't really care about Kirks stats.  You know Kirk is going to end up somewhere near the top in terms of stats.  I think this team can go 9-7 with almost any semi-competent QB.  To me, I care(d) about how Kirk did under the big lights and the high pressure situations.  I don't think we need a great stats guy as much as we need a guy that will be good enough and not wilt during a playoff run.  I was very skeptical but I'm not starting to think maybe he turned the corner.  If we have a potential Jackson, Rodgers or Wilson available to us we should probably still draft them.