Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMO, Cousins is earning his extension here...
We'll see how the final 4 go. No need to rush anything. Yes its time to draft a qb too. 

He's not been perfect but I credit him with more of a reason for 8 wins than all of our 4 losses.

Besides, whats the alternative? And do I need whip out that list of QB's since Culpepper again?

Cousins lost one game this season and that was to Green Bay.
At Chicago the entire team shit the bed so he gets some of the blame but certainly not the lions share.
At Seattle and at KC Kirk was the reason we were in the game to start with.  We could use a developmental QB but Kirk is here to stay till he retires.  He's 31 now so presumably we have a QB for the next decade or so. 

This team would be in the drivers seat if the defense was even just average.  BUT it should be a heck of a lot better then average.  We've got stars on D at all 3 levels and big contracts to go with them.  This is a Zimmer run team and he is supposed to be a Defensive genius.  WTF happened? 

It's time to clean house on D like Seattle did a few years back.  At this point the only ones I really want to hang onto are Harris, Kendricks and Hunter.  After that I'm open to all the changes anyone wants to make. 

Agreed. Earlier, I wasn't sure at all. Now its obvious. He's dialed in. Vikings should still draft a QB somewhere in rounds 2-4, but Cousins is playing well enough to get this team where it wants to go at the QB position. 

Off season directives: Get some more O-line talent, clear some cap space on under-producing defensive players and garner another solid Draft and the team should be highly competitive again next season. 

What I liked was the fight I am seeing in him and his follow up with his teammates. It felt like he took charge. He was fired up. I liked that.

He's playing better now than at any point of his career, and is the best Viking QB since Favre for sure.  I sure do wish he would've done more on that final drive, but oh well, that's not what he's known for.
I hope he realizes the entire team needs to improve and doesn't send the Vikes into cap hell.  If he gets a new deal at 30-35 mill per, I'm not sure how the entire team will improve other than through the draft.

The offense looks good.  We just need to find a head coach who can build a good defense, and probably that means a lot of high paid guys on that side of the ball.  

Oh, wait....  :#

Quote: @"comet52" said:
The offense looks good.  We just need to find a head coach who can build a good defense, and probably that means a lot of high paid guys on that side of the ball.  

Oh, wait....  :#
What is good defense anymore in this new NFL???

I guess SF and Baltimore are closest to it with the rules today...

no point in giving KC 30+ a year if we arent going to keep building that OL with good draft picks,  and Zimmers D doesnt seem to be able to be manned with mid/late round finds... so what gives?  IMO we need to be ready to move on from Zimmer if he cant find a way to scheme with average NFL talent.  Other teams dont break the bank with their defenses and seem to be able to field teams that can get off the field when they need to.  This D is over priced and under performing and IMO that falls back on the guy who picks the players and designs the system.  If they arent going to fix the D so it is more affordable and effective,  then save the money on KC and rebuild across the board.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
This D is over priced and under performing and IMO that falls back on the guy who picks the players and designs the system.  If they arent going to fix the D so it is more affordable and effective,  then save the money on KC and rebuild across the board.
I agree the D is under-performing...

How do you think AT, Diggs and Cook would feel with a total re-build and boot the Capt'n too???

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
no point in giving KC 30+ a year if we arent going to keep building that OL with good draft picks,  and Zimmers D doesnt seem to be able to be manned with mid/late round finds... so what gives?  IMO we need to be ready to move on from Zimmer if he cant find a way to scheme with average NFL talent.  Other teams dont break the bank with their defenses and seem to be able to field teams that can get off the field when they need to.  This D is over priced and under performing and IMO that falls back on the guy who picks the players and designs the system.  If they arent going to fix the D so it is more affordable and effective,  then save the money on KC and rebuild across the board.
Our offensive brain trust are making adjustments quarter by quarter.  Our defensive adjustments?  Not so much.  Last night was a perfect case in point.  Carson/Penny gashing us up the gut behind their "jumbo" O-line and we were so fearful Wilson was going to throw on our suspect secondary, we made no changes.  

Maybe the cupboard is bare with talent to make those adjustments or Zim gambled things would "right" themselves.  Either way, the Lions, Bears and Pukers certainly took note.