Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roe v Wade struck down by SCOTUS
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"badgervike" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
Closing clinics due to the ruling is also going to deny women and men access to additional health care such as breast cancer screenings, birth control, pregnancy testing, testing for sexually transmitted diseases, services for HIV and AIDS, counseling for mental health and other services but I guess that doesn't matter. 
Why is the first talking point on PP almost always breast cancer screenings...which PP doesn't do?  I'm guessing it's to normalize the facilities as "women's health" facilities.  Having spent much of my life volunteering in the shelters here in Madison and in Chicago prior, PP is by and large overwhelmingly an abortion provider.  They will provide limited testing for sexually related things like STDs.  They also prescribe birth control (including "morning after" pill) and make clinic referrals. 
https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolit...ment-money

[Image: graphic-3.jpg]

I bet they're lying. 

well it is NPR... so their funding kind of depends on playing fast and loose with the truth.

Quote: @"badgervike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"badgervike" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
Closing clinics due to the ruling is also going to deny women and men access to additional health care such as breast cancer screenings, birth control, pregnancy testing, testing for sexually transmitted diseases, services for HIV and AIDS, counseling for mental health and other services but I guess that doesn't matter. 
Why is the first talking point on PP almost always breast cancer screenings...which PP doesn't do?  I'm guessing it's to normalize the facilities as "women's health" facilities.  Having spent much of my life volunteering in the shelters here in Madison and in Chicago prior, PP is by and large overwhelmingly an abortion provider.  They will provide limited testing for sexually related things like STDs.  They also prescribe birth control (including "morning after" pill) and make clinic referrals. 

I bet they're lying. 

They are lying.  This is the percentage allocation for PUBLIC funds to PP which is only about a third of PP funding.  They keep the abortion number low when they report taxpayer funding (for obvious reasons)...and simply charge virtually all abortion services to privately collected monies which they aren't obligated to disclose how the funds were used.  Do you REALLY believe that abortion services are only 3% of Planned Parenthood services?
No, I don't, but this was about cancer screenings, which you said they don't do. They do. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"badgervike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"badgervike" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:

I bet they're lying. 

They are lying.  This is the percentage allocation for PUBLIC funds to PP which is only about a third of PP funding.  They keep the abortion number low when they report taxpayer funding (for obvious reasons)...and simply charge virtually all abortion services to privately collected monies which they aren't obligated to disclose how the funds were used.  Do you REALLY believe that abortion services are only 3% of Planned Parenthood services?
No, I don't, but this was about cancer screenings, which you said they don't do. They do. 
I said they don't do mammograms and screen for breast cancer in response to VG.  They do provide services such as Pap smears and HPV tests...which are normally done prior to administering birth control and provide cervical cancer screening at the same time.  They actually outsource most of that testing here in Madison to the clinics but they may do more in other urban areas.  Still a very small part of their business.

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"badgervike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"badgervike" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:

I bet they're lying. 

I said they don't do mammograms and screen for breast cancer in response to VG.  They do provide services such as Pap smears and HPV tests...which are normally done prior to administering birth control and provide cervical cancer screening at the same time.  They actually outsource most of that testing here in Madison to the clinics but they may do more in other urban areas.  Still a very small part of their business.
Is this really an argument worth having? You said: "Why is the first talking point on PP almost always breast cancer screenings...which PP doesn't do?" This is wrong. They do breast cancer screenings. Yes, they typically outsource the mammograms. But this is a silly argument. It's a bit like saying my orthopedist doesn't do x-rays. Well, technically, it's outsourced to a radiologist, but to argue that would be a little silly. 

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"badgervike" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:

I bet they're lying. 

And if they screen for cancer or STD while the woman is in for an abortion, those count as "services".  Throw in some condoms on the way out and more services.  Numbers and stats can be twisted to whatever disfigured conclusion they want.

Quote:
Quote:
Is this really an argument worth having? You said: "Why is the first talking point on PP almost always breast cancer screenings...which PP doesn't do?" This is wrong. They do breast cancer screenings. Yes, they typically outsource the mammograms. But this is a silly argument. It's a bit like saying my orthopedist doesn't do x-rays. Well, technically, it's outsourced to a radiologist, but to argue that would be a little silly. 
You having trouble differentiating between lady parts here MB?  Lol.  Planned Parenthood does no Mammograms or screening for breast cancer...period.  That was my comment to VG.  The Planned Parenthood pie chart you sent was talking about HPV and Pap smears which are often done prior to abortion, birth control and with STD Testing...testing for cervical cancer...and as Greed said above...helps pad the wellness stats.

Quote:
You having trouble differentiating between lady parts here MB?  Lol.  Planned Parenthood does no Mammograms or screening for breast cancer...period.  That was my comment to VG.  The Planned Parenthood pie chart you sent was talking about HPV and Pap smears which are often done prior to abortion, birth control and with STD Testing...testing for cervical cancer...and as Greed said above...helps pad the wellness stats.
Trying to figure out where your problem is, and I think it might be in your limited definition of the word "screening"? A breast exam, which PP very clearly does, is the first part of all breast cancer screenings. We've already established that they outsource the actual mammograms, so not sure what you're disagreeing with. Are you saying they don't do breast exams? If so, you're wrong about that. 

Quote:

The great google machine seems to favor MB on this one.  I however, have never been in a planned parenthood franchise. 

@"Vikergirl" said:
I'll just highlight the bold

VG said screening. You injected mammograms. So you were not responding to something she said.

Quote:Screening tests can help find cancer at an early stage, before symptoms appear. When abnormal tissue or cancer is found early, it may be easier to treat or cure. By the time symptoms appear, the cancer may have grown and spread. This can make the cancer harder to treat or cure.
It is important to remember that when your doctor suggests a screening test, it does not always mean he or she thinks you have cancer. Screening tests are done when you have no cancer symptoms.
There are different kinds of screening tests.Screening tests include the following:
  • Physical exam and history: An exam of the body to check general signs of health, including checking for signs of disease, such as lumps or anything else that seems unusual. A history of the patient’s health habits and past illnesses and treatments will also be taken.
  • Laboratory tests: Medical procedures that test samples of tissue, bloodurine, or other substances in the body.
  • Imaging procedures: Procedures that make pictures of areas inside the body.
  • Genetic tests: A laboratory test in which cells or tissue are analyzed to look for changes in genes or chromosomes. These changes may be a sign that a person has or is at risk of having a specific disease or condition.