Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins Extended
This is, basically, a best case scenario.  Cap relief, keeping a high-producing QB that's already familiar with both the players and the incoming coach, and short enough that it can/will be revisited after they all get a year to "audition" each other.

The hate club must be at the ledge.  Gosh, how...heh...awful...!

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
[Image: nM-GmeFb_bigger.jpg]
Only one thing to do now, letsss gooooo
Over the intercom in Egan about now, ...
Adam to the GMs office please,  Adam Theilan to the GMs office.
From being out the door to getting that restructured deal. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Oddly structured extension but I'll take it 
Thats what she said...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
Oddly structured extension but I'll take it 
Thats what she said...
I really did LOL!

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
[Image: nM-GmeFb_bigger.jpg]
Only one thing to do now, letsss gooooo
Over the intercom in Egan about now, ...
Adam to the GMs office please,  Adam Theilan to the GMs office.
From being out the door to getting that restructured deal. 
I always assumed Thielen would be back with a restructured deal. Was that not the case?

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@pattersaur said:
@supafreak84 said:
Soo we basically got Kirk for one more year with a reduced cap hit this year, more big money next year and we now no longer control his trade option, leaving us once again scrambling in two years to figure out our QB situation as Cousins turns 36 years old, hits free agency, and any trade value would be extremely dimimished anyways. 

This is a win for Cousins and his agent, not for the Vikings. I hope O'Connell turns him into this bona-fide MVP Candidate that he thinks he can but I won't hold my breath. Oh and by the way, anybody holding out for a "stud" rookie to be drafted next year to groom can forget about it because the Vikings won't lose enough games to put us in contention to be drafting that high. This was the year and the time to make a move. Now we've essentially pigeon holed ourselves into a two year window to get it done with Cousins, a rookie coaching staff, and a defense that needs an overhaul with a new scheme being implemented. I think it's a poor strategy and will hold steadfast in that opinion until this organization proves me wrong. 
This is a fair take but it was said weeks ago that the Wilfs don’t want a rebuild. We knew this and they own the team, not us. That doesn’t make you wrong and them right but it’s the reality.

The good part of this extension is it’s short, we gain stability at the position, and we get to see what Kirk can do with KOC. The bad part is we probably won’t stink this season so we aren’t getting a crack at the blue chip QBs in 2023 (story of the franchise) and we also have a very uphill battle to win the division this year. 

If it’s true- as been reported- that KOC was adament about wanting Kirk, what can we do other than hope he knows what he’s doing. 

Well the Wilfs are fools then if they think they can overhaul the entire front office, coaching staff, and not understand that rebuilding is probably the best way to move past mediocrity. They shitcanned Zim and Spielman because they were tired of being average. That's fair..but if they think tying themselves to Cousins for two more years for big money with a rookie coaching staff and a roster with holes the size of the Grand Canyon is the roght recipe for long term Super Bowl success...they are likely very, very wrong. Give me a young QB I can build around for the next decade, not an above average 35 year old that I'm continuously having to shell our big money for and figure out his contract. When you hit the organizational reset button like the Wilfs decided to do, that's the kind of thing you are opening themselves up for. Unfortunately for the Wilfs and all of us, we are going to get more mediocre results over the next couple years with no answer on a long term QB 
I don't think a single move is indicative of their path. See what happens next. If they basically "run it back" then I would ask the question, how much does a chance in FO and coaching staff really mean? But I don't think that will need to be asked. This FO will put their spin on the roster, Kirk is just going to be a part of that. 

Committing themselve's to Cousins and his contract for the next two years certainly is indicative of their path now. They can spin it however they want but the smart money is on this team being average again next year with a rookie coaching staff installing new systems on both sides of the ball and a defense with holes everywhere. Say they go 7-10, or 8-9 next season (likely), that puts them going into the following season with Cousins once again entering the final year of his contract with a no trade clause in his back pocket. It also puts them out of the running to draft one of the elite prospects in 2023. This was the year to make a move, free up big cap money moving forward, and position ourselves to draft an elite QB prospect in 2023. None of that likely happens now. 
Thank you for your insight and for clarifying how the season will go. Why even play the season or even partake in the draft because their "likely" 8-9 season means we wont get anyone good from the draft.

Part of long term planning is evaluating your roster, where you will likely be the following season, and figuring out how to allocate resources to upgrade the roster over the long haul. If you think we are winning the Super Bowl next year with a rookie coaching staff, new schemes on both sides of the ball, and huge holes to fill defensively...more power to you. The smart money is on us having a lot of ups and downs while familiarity is implemented and roster turn over takes place. If it's going to upset you to watch this team go 8-9 again or worse, you might not want to watch. We'd all love more but my scenario is much more realistic. 

In 1990 the Burns led Vikings went 6/10.

In 1991 the Vikings went 8/8. That was Burnsie's last year. So hardly a team ready to roll onward and upward. 

In 1992 the Sheriff took over the Vikings; installing all new schemes, new coaching, holes to fill in roster...He went 11/5

So anything is possible I guess. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
It was only ever going to get so good. Its an improvement, but of course it won't please everyone. The new FO and HC were saddled with a guaranteed contract number for their QB. Its a process of mitigating the situation and then deciding what the best course of action is: which may be making a little chicken salad out of chicken shit. Just because its been reported some teams were interested in trading for Cousins doesn't mean they were good offers. 

They are kicking the can down the road with Cousins and we'll be in this same exact situation next offseason with him entering the final year of his contract, except with a no trade clause in his back pocket this time and the Vikings still without a long term answer at the position. 

As far as trades go even Geoff said they had at least one trade offer they really had to think about. There was definitely a market for him, but it's my opinion that the front office and the Wilfs were too chicken shit to be "really bad" this season to make what probably would have been the right move and decision for the team moving forward. Like I said, I hope Kwesi knows what he's doing and OConnell transforms Cousins into this MVP Candidate he envisions as the trigger man in his offense. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

In 1991 the Vikings went 8/8. That was Burnsie's last year. So hardly a team ready to roll onward and upward. 

In 1992 the Sheriff took over the Vikings; installing all new schemes, new coaching, holes to fill in roster...He went 11/5

That's the exception and certainly not the norm. First year coaching records since the Sheriff:

Tice- 6-10
Childress 6-10
Frazier- 3-13
Zimmer- 7-9

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:

That's the exception and certainly not the norm. First year coaching records since the Sheriff:

Tice- 6-10
Childress 6-10
Frazier- 3-13
Zimmer- 7-9
True but...The reason I brought up the Burns record before The Sheriff is because
Looking at year ones:

Tice went 6/10 taking over a team that went 5 wins the year before
Childress went 6/10 taking over a team that went 9 wins the year before 
Frazier went 3/13 taking over a team that went from 12 to 6 to 3 wins the years preceeding
Zimmer went 7/9 taking over a team that had 5 wins the year before

KOC is taking over a team that was about .500, the year prior, not a dumpster fire. It's not unreasonable imo to hope for something more than 8 wins which is what a frustrating Zimmer team posted. 

All that said, we as fans can choose to see the glass 1/2 empty or full. Nobody will change anybodies take.