Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good to See Them, But...
Quote: @HappyViking said:
@purplefaithful said:
This is a 10+ win team...Everyone calm down lol!

I am happy to read this morning Waynes is a minor injury. 

Remmers is going to get beat down in pass-pro, we knew it and he's gotta knock some rust off at this point too. Lets get Reiff and LM in the mix keep plugging away.

Lots of bright spots last night in the young guys and Easton too. 
Hi PF, I hope you're right, but I just don't see a 10+ win team.  This offense has no "punch", and the five yard throws just doesn't get it done.  Our defense is good when we have a lead, but that may not happen often.  Teams ran all over this Viking D last season, and I think teams will attack our defense with the rush again this year.

Hope they kick a$$ this year, but I'm not expecting much going into this season.  I'll believe 10-6 or better when I see it.
That's pretty hard to tell what a team's record will be from one quarter of a preseason game. I don't want to make excuses for them, and I'm sure Mike Zimmer is none too pleased, but we're not really going to see any adjustments or opponent-specific game planning, per se. I think I also heard that the Bills installed a new offense this year? So the Vikings likely had no clue what that was all about.  

No, the purple team didn't look very good, but the worst I've seen a Zim-led Vike team play was that opening night in San Francisco two years ago. The defense was atrocious. And they ended up with a pretty good 11-5 playoff team that year. So I'll withhold judgement about the fortunes of this team until we're at least through the 2nd quarter of the 3rd preseason game. 

I see 8-8 again, and it has nothing to do with a meaningless preseason game.   To me Zimmer is a DC whose ceiling is just that - DC, not HC.  He's good at it, no doubt, and 11-5 was really about defense and some yeoman work from a beginning-to-fade Adrian Peterson.   But he is too conservative (like a good DC should be), and his hires on the offensive coaching side have not been stellar.   We've got a conservative, sputtering offense that reflects a head guy who until recently figured his only responsibility there was to hire a buddy and let the offense be out of sight/out of mind while he tinkered on defense.  It's not a winning formula, and I don't see much of an upgrade on offense at this point that tells me 8-8 isn't the ceiling.

Quote: @prairieghost said:
A pretty disappointing outing in general. For guys like Tom Johnson to go out and tell the world that this defense is the best in the league makes me want to crack them all over the head. Shut your mouth and get it done on the field. Embarrassing. No run D again from the 1s. As for the O, it was pathetic as always (other than the short passes to Dalvin). I feel like being "that fan" this morning--bitching about everything (could it be the fact that I'm having issues at work today?? perhaps...) and finding nothing to smile about.
At least it's Friday, Prairieghost.  Smile

SportsPickle @sportspickleRemember as preseason NFL kicks off: if a QB you hate plays well, preseason means nothing. And if a QB you hate plays poorly, he is GARBAGE.
0 replies0 retweets1 like
lol, yep. And that applies to every position. 

Run defense and Remmers ole'ing speed rushers had me getting aggravated. O-Line getting Cook hit behind the line is a recurring nightmare as well. If Cook can't pop one with his quickness, McKinnon has no shot. Run defense bothered me because it wasn't a runner squeaking through, massive holes and defenders trying to recover because they're out of position. Preseason game 1 at it's best lol. I did like the punter though...

Preseason game 1..... not really much to take away from it. They looked brutal on offense and run defense was terrible. 

Good thing about preseason... it means nothing in regards to the standings. If they look that bad in 4 weeks then I will worry. As of right now I'm not overly concerned. 

Snippet from here:
Zim’s assessments: Zimmer improved to 13-1 in the preseason
since his hire in 2014, but there were multiple things he didn’t like in
the exhibition game.
“We’ve still got a lot of work to do,”
Zimmer said in his opening comments. “My expectations for this team is a
lot higher than that. We’ve got to get back to work. I thought the
special teams played well tonight. We flipped the field position, did a
good job with the kicks.
“I didn’t feel like we covered well
enough defensively, especially early in the ball game,” Zimmer added.
“We gave up too many catches. Offensively, the two sacks were
disappointing, but we only had three penalties tonight, and they had
10.”
The Bills won the coin toss and deferred, and Zimmer wanted to see his offense get points on its first possession. A sack of Sam Bradford on a third-and-7, however, ended the initial quest for points.
“I
expect us to go out, take the ball down and score, and we didn’t do
that,” Zimmer said. “We had about a six-play drive or something and the
sack stopped the first one.
He also saw room for improvement on run defense.
“We
had a couple of pressures tonight where we ran up the field and it was a
run and we allowed runs to occur, so that’s an easily correctable thing
that we’ll get corrected,” Zimmer added.

Quote: @ThunderGod said:
Note to self.  Remain calm this year.  Breathe.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utu...n+meltdown&view=detail&mid=D01EAFACA9CB9A00C24DD01EAFACA9CB9A00C24D&FORM=VIRE
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utu...n+meltdown&&view=detail&mid=1AB9329B6CBFECA84C931AB9329B6CBFECA84C93&rvsmid=D01EAFACA9CB9A00C24DD01EAFACA9CB9A00C24D&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAP
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utu...n+meltdown&&view=detail&mid=6CA717F2E8C4783E9D8F6CA717F2E8C4783E9D8F&rvsmid=D01EAFACA9CB9A00C24DD01EAFACA9CB9A00C24D&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAP
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utu...n+meltdown&&view=detail&mid=E01B226E3CE0C35D9C97E01B226E3CE0C35D9C97&rvsmid=D01EAFACA9CB9A00C24DD01EAFACA9CB9A00C24D&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAPhttps://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utube+football+fan+meltdown&&view=detail&mid=E01B226E3CE0C35D9C97E01B226E3CE0C35D9C97&rvsmid=D01EAFACA9CB9A00C24DD01EAFACA9CB9A00C24D&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAPhttps://youtu.be/RgYHh__aWRA

That dude was way calmer than I was in '98, when Anderson missed that FG.  That guy took his stuff down off the way with care; I destroyed stuff.

It's one preseason game, no need to panic.  The main concern is some sort of stability on the OL, of course that is an annual concern.  Will it ever change, damn I hope so.  Looking forward to the whole team playing better next week
 SKOL!!!