Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bewitching Hour
Quote: @greediron said:
@suncoastvike said:
@StickyBun said:
Kids. With lots of money and free time. Some with little to no mentors or parental guidance. Bad friend influences. Came from nothing and been told they are amazing since their athletic gifts came. And what? 32 NFL teams? With how many players each right? Over 2000 players easily right now as rosters sit until final cutdown? Odds are somebody is going to fuck up. 

Not making excuses for bad behavior. At all. But its not that surprising if you think about it.....what's surprising is it doesn't happen more often.
Well you did just describe me. I mean less the money and athletic abilities. After I turned 18 I left my parents home and pretty much ignored every lesson they taught me for about 10 years.
The expression youth is wasted on the young sadly makes sense to many only when it's too late.
Every man should admit, to themselves at least. They were a little lucky to have survived their youth. Ok maybe not all but I will. 
Oh hell yeah.  When my kids do something stupid, I often cringe on the inside recalling the much worse things I did and got by with.

At my son's graduation bbq, two of his younger friends felt they needed to measure something and decided to do that by drag racing down the street a block or so away.  Luckily a neighbor spotted them and chucked a ladder out in front of them and then royally chewed their ass.  Of course the idiots then pulled up in front of our house and parked.  So the guy's wife came down to inform us about the situation. 

It was embarrassing, but it was a good learning experience for everyone.  My son lamented that they parked in front of our house.  But the two idiots learned a great lesson (I hope) and my boys got a lecture from me on how their decisions impact other families.  I didn't lecture the two boys, but gently reminded them about lessons learned and that it was over and done with as no-one got hurt.  I commended them for being standup about it and not making excuses.  They took their ass chewing and accepted it.
What were they driving and who was winning when the ladder sacrifice took place? Wink

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@suncoastvike said:
@StickyBun said:
Kids. With lots of money and free time. Some with little to no mentors or parental guidance. Bad friend influences. Came from nothing and been told they are amazing since their athletic gifts came. And what? 32 NFL teams? With how many players each right? Over 2000 players easily right now as rosters sit until final cutdown? Odds are somebody is going to fuck up. 

Not making excuses for bad behavior. At all. But its not that surprising if you think about it.....what's surprising is it doesn't happen more often.
Well you did just describe me. I mean less the money and athletic abilities. After I turned 18 I left my parents home and pretty much ignored every lesson they taught me for about 10 years.
The expression youth is wasted on the young sadly makes sense to many only when it's too late.
Every man should admit, to themselves at least. They were a little lucky to have survived their youth. Ok maybe not all but I will. 
Oh hell yeah.  When my kids do something stupid, I often cringe on the inside recalling the much worse things I did and got by with.

At my son's graduation bbq, two of his younger friends felt they needed to measure something and decided to do that by drag racing down the street a block or so away.  Luckily a neighbor spotted them and chucked a ladder out in front of them and then royally chewed their ass.  Of course the idiots then pulled up in front of our house and parked.  So the guy's wife came down to inform us about the situation. 

It was embarrassing, but it was a good learning experience for everyone.  My son lamented that they parked in front of our house.  But the two idiots learned a great lesson (I hope) and my boys got a lecture from me on how their decisions impact other families.  I didn't lecture the two boys, but gently reminded them about lessons learned and that it was over and done with as no-one got hurt.  I commended them for being standup about it and not making excuses.  They took their ass chewing and accepted it.
What were they driving and who was winning when the ladder sacrifice took place? Wink
Dunno, but from what the consensus was among the other boys, these two fools had no business even thinking they should race.  Just some sedan and dad's pickup I think.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@suncoastvike said:
@StickyBun said:

Dunno, but from what the consensus was among the other boys, these two fools had no business even thinking they should race.  Just some sedan and dad's pickup I think.
its not about what you are racing... its about racing.  I would have raced anything with wheels back in the day ( or anything period..) ... i can totally relate to being a dumb ass when it came to racing.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
its not about what you are racing... its about racing.  I would have raced anything with wheels back in the day ( or anything period..) ... i can totally relate to being a dumb ass when it came to racing.
Oh yes indeed.  I just never got caught and got my ass chewed. 

had a 69 chevelle with 396.  unfortunately, had a muncie transmission with a long throw.

Quote: @Akvike said:
had a 69 chevelle with 396.  unfortunately, had a muncie transmission with a long throw.
A Chevy fan, me too.
Mine was a  70 Nova. Only a 350. I bought it at a auction. It was a power company fleet car.
It was a coupe though. It was safety orange. I repainted it in black. Switched it to a 4 barrel and put dual Thrush mufflers on it.  By today's standards it was a dog. However it was plenty enough that I could have killed myself the way I drove it.