Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bruce Arians: 'If you draft for need, you get fired'
Drafting for need? Poor Drafting? All of the above?

Troy Williamson
Ponder
Treadwell

I dont know. We've debated this for years. Just dont F-up @ 18 this year is my mantra. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
BPA, in a literal sense, is the biggest lie in sports. If you look at every draft pick taken in the 1st round the last several years, 8 times out of 10 you'll see a team filling a need. 

Teams draft the best players available AMONG THEIR NEEDS. GMs talk about BPA because it sounds good and it gives them the ridiculously false notion that they're unpredictable. They're not. 

For example, the Vikings biggest needs are on the OL, DL and TE. To a lesser degree, RB and WR. To an even lesser degree, LB, DB, and QB. 

If BPA had any validity at all LB, DB, QB, RB and WR would be legitimate options at 18. But, trust me, they aren't. With that in mind, watch what we do over the next few days. If it doesn't damn near follow our hierarchy of needs to a T, I'll be surprised. 
[Image: 252.gif]

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
BPA, in a literal sense, is the biggest lie in sports. If you look at every draft pick taken in the 1st round the last several years, 8 times out of 10 you'll see a team filling a need. 

Teams draft the best players available AMONG THEIR NEEDS. GMs talk about BPA because it sounds good and it gives them the ridiculously false notion that they're unpredictable. They're not. 

For example, the Vikings biggest needs are on the OL, DL and TE. To a lesser degree, RB and WR. To an even lesser degree, LB, DB, and QB. 

If BPA had any validity at all LB, DB, QB, RB and WR would be legitimate options at 18. But, trust me, they aren't. With that in mind, watch what we do over the next few days. If it doesn't damn near follow our hierarchy of needs to a T, I'll be surprised. 
Exactly.  BPA means best player within the positions of need.  It means you have options that you have already discussed and planned for.

Why believe anything any of these guys are saying right now? This is the time when the best liars thrive.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I'll bet ignoring your OL will get you fired too... 
I think if Spielman doesn’t fix the OLine, because he
drafted BPA and ignored it, he’s fired before next offseason.  If Spielman drafts OLine, and it doesn’t work
out, he’s got a couple years to make amends because you can’t tell the draft
pick is a bust in year one.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I just saw a Draft Wire mock, new for this morning, that shows Minnesota taking Rashan Gary and then the next pick at #19 has Garrett Bradbury selected. Like there is anyway in hell that would happen....and then Cody Ford going 2 picks after that. If other NFL GMs have those guys rated that highly and Minnesota PASSES on them, I'm going to be piiiiiisssed. 
Well you don't have to be pissed! LOL!

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I just saw a Draft Wire mock, new for this morning, that shows Minnesota taking Rashan Gary and then the next pick at #19 has Garrett Bradbury selected. Like there is anyway in hell that would happen....and then Cody Ford going 2 picks after that. If other NFL GMs have those guys rated that highly and Minnesota PASSES on them, I'm going to be piiiiiisssed. 
Well you don't have to be pissed! LOL!
We all might be pissed 2-3 years from now, however. Why don't we see how he plays in the NFL first. Going against Furman, James Madison, Marshall, Georgia State, Boston College, Louisville, East Carolina University, etc, is a LOT different then going against the Bears. 

My daughter graduated from NCSU 3 years ago and still attends games, so I have even MORE reason to want this guy to be a stud. But DECADES of mediocrity and heartbreak compel me to maintain my longtime mantra "Show Me" 

I used to be a fan of the draft, but Spielman's well documented inability to build a consistent championship contending caliber team over 17 seasons (including tenures in Chicago and Miami) has forced me to be an "I'll believe it when I SEE it" kinda fan.

I'm waaaaay past blind approval of ANY transaction the Vikings make. PROVE it first, then I will approve it.

Win at least 2 playoff games this season? GREAT job. Spielman Special (ZERO playoff wins)? CLEAN HOUSE. 

@njvike
can't you just discuss the player? I know you have the worlds largest hardon for Rick but do you HAVE to bring it into everything. Sure I get it he is responsible for the draft. And yeah the kid *could* end up a bust. But it isn't like this kid wasn't a VERY good center in the draft. Arguably(?) the best center in the draft and still you have to find a way to point out that the worst could happen. WTF dude? 

Hey it's a sunny day today.... But.... ya know a fucking meteor could hit the planet and wipe out all of civilization.