Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viking Sign ex-Bronco WR Jordan Taylor
I see it now: Treadwell and Taylor have a "competition" for #3 WR that (surprise!) Treadwell "wins".  

Quote: @RS Express said:
I see it now: Treadwell and Taylor have a "competition" for #3 WR that (surprise!) Treadwell "wins".  
Not sure Treadwell is even on the team on April 28th. 

Quote: @purpleloki said:
@purplefaithful said:

Remember the days of Aikman, Emmitt and Irvin?

Why could 3 players/positions dominate to such a degree back then and now defenses can cover Cousins/Diggs/Thielen/Cook seemingly easier? 
If they're doubling Diggs and Thielen we should be running the ball down their throat.
They should be, but whether it was the OC, OL, or Cook, the Vikings weren't able to consistently able to take advantage of those matchups on the ground. Hopefully, some combination of changes to the offense with Stefanski & Kubiak, changes to the OL through the draft, & Cook having a full off-season to improve & not just rehab an injury will make a difference. That being said, adding another weapon at WR and/or TE would help them spread out the field more and if we can find someone who is Jarius Wright caliber or above that can take advantage of being single covered, then that should be enough to open up Thielen and Diggs. I really wanted Treadwell to work out, but realistically we can't rely on him at this point. I like Deebo Samuel, but I'm sure there are other receivers who would be good enough to unblock things.

Quote: @Purple Haze said:
@Tyr said:
Depth at WR is a problem. Teams figured out that they could scheme out both Thielen and Diggs and that the Vikings had no 3rd WR who could take advantage of those matchups. I'm not sure how much Taylor helps with this, but he's a big body who can also serve as a return man, so maybe he's at least better than Zylstra. I really want the Vikings to draft a WR in the 2nd-4th, so hopefully this signing doesn't change their plans at all.
I agree that WR depth is a problem but drafting a WR to fill that void is not the anwer unless you get lucky like the Vikings did with Diggs.  It usually takes a couple years for things to click for WR’s once they are drafted.  That being said I hope they do draft one for the future and hope one of the young guys catch on this year or a guy like Taylor can fill the 3rd WR spot.
I agree 3rd WR is a need. We need someone to step up. Taylor has solid measurables (6'5"; 4.5; 6.69 3 cone; 36.5 vert). He could become a solid WR. Not impossible. But the biggest thing the Vikings need to do to help Thielen and Diggs is to run the ball better and become more unpredictable.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Tyr said:
Depth at WR is a problem. Teams figured out that they could scheme out both Thielen and Diggs and that the Vikings had no 3rd WR who could take advantage of those matchups. I'm not sure how much Taylor helps with this, but he's a big body who can also serve as a return man, so maybe he's at least better than Zylstra. I really want the Vikings to draft a WR in the 2nd-4th, so hopefully this signing doesn't change their plans at all.

Why could 3 players/positions dominate to such a degree back then and now defenses can cover Cousins/Diggs/Thielen/Cook seemingly easier? 
I am going to go out on a limb and say because their offensive line was dominant. Also they had a very good defense so they didn't need to be aggressive.

Quote: @matt4787 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@Tyr said:

I am going to go out on a limb and say because their offensive line was dominant. Also they had a very good defense so they didn't need to be aggressive.
I will go out even farther on that same limb and say that cowboys offnesive line very well may have been one of the NFL all time best lines. Emmit Smith on almost any other team would not be close to that rushing title if not for them.  His longevity is due to him not being hit until the second level for what seemed like his whole career.  He was constantly in the defensive backfield before he had a hand laid on him.  

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Tyr said:

Aikman was an average QB,  Emmitt was an above average back,  Irvin was a coke head... what made that offense so damn lethal was that OL... one of the most dominate OL of all time with the rings and records to show for it, but the credit goes to the guys that touched the ball.  pretty sad IMO,  if those 3 had played for different teams I would bet that none of them have even half the stats they ended up with.

put a line like that in front of Cousins with AT, Diggs, and Cook... forget about it. 

Siemian sure knows him...

[Image: Minnesota%20Vikings_0.png]
St. Paul Pioneer Press's Chris Tomasson reports the Vikings will try WR Jordan Taylor at punt returns.The idea is to have Taylor replace CB Marcus Sherels, who signed with the Saints in free agency after averaging an optimal 12 yards per return last season. Taylor most recently averaged 9.4 yards on 11 returns for Denver in 2017. The newly-signed 27-year-old has an outside chance of winning slot duties over incumbent starter Laquon Treadwell if he can stay healthy, too.
RELATED:  SOURCE: Chris Tomasson o