Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer said Gary Kubiak has “big plans” for Treadwell
I would not try to move Treadwell to a tight end spot.  He still is just around 215 lbs.
The Vikings could sign a free agent for cheap that has something to prove (Breshad Perriman, Chris Conley, Kevin White) and then should really draft a couple of receivers like Myles Boykin, Keelan Doss, Terry McLaurin, David Sills, Hakeem Butler, etc.
They need to keep those youngsters along with Beebe and Zylstra and let them fill out the depth chart.
There is no good reason to waste a roster spot on Treadwell.
They may have to offer Treadwell and a 2020 6th for some other teams 7th just to take him off their hands.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"medaille" said:
I think it really depends on how many options we have to replace him.  We're not going to outright cut him until after camp when we need the roster spot.  Might as well fluff him a little bit, and if we happen to bring in an upgrade then so be it.
If they can trade him they save 1.8 mil in cap space.
That is much better than keeping him through training camp IMHO.
May as well get a 7th (even if it is in 2020) now.
Who would trade ANYTHING for him??? "Hmmm, the Vikings have a slow WR with bad hands and they have to pay him $1.8M even if they cut him. Hey, should we give them something for him? Or maybe just poke a sharp stick in my eye??" We would have to give some other team a draft pick to take him off our hands.
Troy Williamson was more valuable than Treadwell - at least you could send Williamson downfield on a fly route and he might pull a safety back and create more space for other receivers. In fact, look at the stats below for 2 different WRs, both drafted with #1 picks, receiving totals for first 3 seasons in the NFL all with Vikings:
WR #1: 56 catches, 517 yards, 1 TDs
WR #2: 79 catches, 1067 yards, 3 TDs
#1 is Treadwell, #2 is Troy Williamson (who could return kicks, too). Yes, one of the most deplored draft picks in Vikings history was TWICE AS PRODUCTIVE AS TREADWELL.

I'm afraid that Kubiak's big plan is something like bulking Treadwell up to 240 and using him as a flex TE. Why bother?

he blocks better than any flex TE in the game,  why not give it a try?  he is a sunk cost at this point and the cap relief from cutting him is negligible... if they can convert him and he catches on its a win no matter what happens after this year.  cut him you get nothing, at least if he makes it to FA you might get a later round comp pick.

Sure, try it, but he catches worse than any flex TE in the game, and receiving is what you want from that role. I agree with you he is a sunk cost and his trade value is zero, so they can try anything they want. I just don't have any positive expectations left.
or maybe Kubiak has some new gloves to try... remember shaincoe....he was shit until he got some different gloves,  Tread just needs some magic gloves.
Yeah with the Velcro in the palms of the gloves. Not The cuffs...