Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Murphy: Vikings’ well-compensated defense must dominate or there’s hell to pay
Does anyone have access to some stats which would provide a baseline to interpret this? Specifically, what is the record for all NFL teams when their offense scores at least 21 points (over the 3 years Zimmer has coached here)? We can't really have a context of whether Zimmer's record is great or not unless we compare. Maybe he's outstanding, but it's possible that most teams win when they put up 21 or more. I haven't found a reference, but some of you have really good stat skills.

The D needs to stop the run to be considered dominent.  Way to many soft spots on the run D the last couple of seasons.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
20% of the points in ~6 quarters of football... Dayum...
30% of the Vikings passing TDs came in 5 quarters of football.
23% of the Vikings scoring came in the last 2 games.

As to the defense, they are the only reason the Vikings are constantly competitive and are one of the best defenses in the league.  Not worried about the defense.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
20% of the points in ~6 quarters of football... Dayum...
I couldn't believe what I was seeing on the field against the Colts that day...Didnt even bother to watch the Packer game the next week - had it dvr'ed in case they somehow pulled out a win. 

You watch enough football over the years and you know when a team is packing it in. The Vikings were packing it in by then. 

Sad, but it happens. 

I agree with much of whats been posted, if the O gets a little more juice (let alone a decent lead now and then) this is a double digit win team. 

I think the Vikings are going to surprise a lot of people, including the media and fans from opposing teams too. 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
Does anyone have access to some stats which would provide a baseline to interpret this? Specifically, what is the record for all NFL teams when their offense scores at least 21 points (over the 3 years Zimmer has coached here)? We can't really have a context of whether Zimmer's record is great or not unless we compare. Maybe he's outstanding, but it's possible that most teams win when they put up 21 or more. I haven't found a reference, but some of you have really good stat skills.
I can give you the NFCN over the last 3 years, but the entire NFL would take way too much time for me.

Team record when scoring 21+ 2014-2016
Packers: 30-6
Lions: 17-5
Bears: 10-11

Total: 57-22 
Average: 19-7.3

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:

It would take a while to compute this for the entire NFL.  I'll do the entire NFC win/loss when those teams have scored at least 21 points over the past three seasons.  If I find time later, I could do the AFC...  or someone else could tackle that!

NFC North
  1. Minnesota Vikings:  20-3 (87%)
  2. Green Bay Packers:  30-6 (83%)
  3. Detroit Lions:  17-5  (77%)
  4. Chicago Bears:  10-11 (48%)
NFC West
  1. Arizona Cardinals: 26-5 (84%)
  2. Seattle Seahawks:  23-8 (74%)
  3. Los Angeles Rams: 12-7 (63%)
  4. San Francisco 49ers: 9-7 (56%)
NFC East
  1. Dallas Cowboys: 25-3 (89%)
  2. Philadelphia Eagles: 24-10 (70%)
  3. Washington Redskins: 17-7-1 (68%)
  4. New York Giants:  17-11 (61%)
NFC South
  1. Carolina Panthers: 24-4-1 (83%)
  2. Atlanta Falcons: 22-10 (69%)
  3. New Orleans Saints:  19-14 (57%)
  4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 11-9 (55%)

There you have it!  The average win percentage for the NFC when teams have scored 21 points or more over the past three seasons is 71%.  The Vikings are ranked 2nd in the NFC over that time frame with an 87% winning percentage just behind the Cowboys.  It's still a pretty impressive stat considering our offensive production has been in the bottom half of the league the past three seasons.

Nice work Wet (clap!)

Look, they didnt bring Zimmer over because he was Mike McCarthy good @ offense. They brought him over here cause he's a D guru and we have the NFC version of Tom Brady in our division. And Rogers aint retiring any time soon. 

Vikes will go as far as their D carries them year on year. The O is along for the ride and needs to do "just enough"

Cook should help immensely in this regard and Bradford too. Of course the OL needs to be at least average - we'd all take that in a heart-beat. 

Hell, if I'm Sam? This is the place I'd love to finish out my career. I don't have to be a HOF QB, but I can be paired with Zimm and D personnel that good. 

Thats a nice place to be...

Interesting stats!  Thanks for putting that together!  It would be just as interesting to see team records when their D gives up 21 points or less.  How does that compare to the rest of the NFC?

Quote: @"AllBS" said:
Interesting stats!  Thanks for putting that together!  It would be just as interesting to see team records when their D gives up 21 points or less.  How does that compare to the rest of the NFC?

You guys are killing me...  I'll see what I can come up with over lunch.  LOL

Yes, thanks for pulling all that! If you want to do the entire NFC that's great, but quickly comparing the NFCN teams "over 21 scored" with their complete records:

NFC North
  1. Minnesota Vikings:  20-3 (87%)         26-22 (54%)    Difference: +33%
  2. Green Bay Packers:  30-6 (83%)         32-16 (66%)    Difference: +17%
  3. Detroit Lions:  17-5  (77%)                27-21 (56%)    Difference: +21%
  4. Chicago Bears:  10-11 (48%)             14-34 (29%)    Difference: +19%
My quick conclusions? EVERYONE is a lot better when they score at least 21, but the Vikings really are significantly better.