Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Murphy: Vikings’ well-compensated defense must dominate or there’s hell to pay
MANKATO — Preseason, they say, never gives up the truth even when the winds of November blow early. But you must know the Vikings’ fortunes are in the clenched fist of their defense just as sure as the heat and humidity will return to training camp.
Never mind the hand-wringing this summer over protecting Sam Bradford from ruin, scoring more than a baker’s dozen every game and running the football upfield instead of in reverse. Minnesota’s tenacious ‘D’ can cover a multitude of sins, and this star-studded unit will carry this vexing team to glory or decay in 2017.
Just follow the money.
In barely over a year, the Vikings have invested $103 million in guaranteed contracts to top pass rusher Everson Griffen, shutdown cornerback Xavier Rhodes and run-stuffing safety Harrison Smith, securing these three pillars with deals that could keep them in purple and gold into the next decade.
Zygi Wilf’s armored truck soon should be backing up and unloading for linebackers Anthony Barr and Eric Kendricks, followed, perhaps, by emerging defensive end Danielle Hunter and veteran nose tackle Linval Joseph.
Anything short of dominance from these elite defenders will be a collective failure that would nail shut this narrow championship window, turn the Vikings’ payroll into a toxic wasteland and leave a lot of coaches and executives looking for jobs.
http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/03/bri...ll-to-pay/

I have to agree. We drafted really good players. Most of them are in their prime. Very, very few NFL teams have defenses this young and this talented. This should be an elite defense. And if it's not, something's wrong. 

With their playoff hopes hanging by a thread, Minnesota played host to backpedaling Indianapolis on Week 15 at U.S. Bank Stadium and allowed Andrew Luck and the Colts to walk all over them in a 34-6 humiliation.
A week later at Lambeau Field, Aaron Rodgers and the Packers sliced and diced the Vikings defense for 28 first-half points as the Green Bay quarterback threw for four touchdowns in a 13-point victory that snuffed Minnesota’s postseason hopes.
Out-played, out-schemed and out-coached, the Vikings allowed 62 points in a span of six quarters — or 20 percent of their season-long yield — to send them home for a bitter offseason.
“I don’t know about angrier,” Zimmer said when asked about his defense’s response this year. “I think they want to get better. These guys have a lot of pride, and actually they’re a lot of fun to be around. Every year is different, but I have a lot of confidence in their ability.”

20% of the points in ~6 quarters of football... Dayum...

I saw some crazy stat that Zimmer has lost only 1 game where the offense scored 23 or more point in Minnesota? The D won't be the problem, lack of scoring in the redzone killed the Vikings last season. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I saw some crazy stat that Zimmer has lost only 1 game where the offense scored 23 or more point in Minnesota? The D won't be the problem, lack of scoring in the redzone killed the Vikings last season. 
Giving up 62 points in 6 quarters didn't help either. Can't let that kind of breakdown happen again. That was like watching the defense from the Culpepper years. 

We hold serve on D, and pump out just a little more O...we're golden...Guys like Cook getting us a chunk play here or there is going to pay off...

I think one of the beat writers dug up this stat and the Vikings are 20-3 under Zimmer when the team scores at least 21 points.  Pretty impressive stat. 
Just for reference, our scoring offense dropped from 22.8 ppg (ranked 16th overall) in 2015 to 20.4 ppg (ranked 23rd overall) in 2016.  If the Vikings can turn that 32nd ranked rushing attack around and have a top 10 rushing attack...  I think that should be enough to get us back into the playoffs.  This team can win a bunch of games if our offense helps carry the load.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@StickyBun said:

I think one of the beat writers dug up this stat and the Vikings are 20-3 under Zimmer when the team scores at least 21 points.  Pretty impressive stat. 
Just for reference, our scoring offense dropped from 22.8 ppg (ranked 16th overall) in 2015 to 20.4 ppg (ranked 23rd overall) in 2016.  If the Vikings can turn that 32nd ranked rushing attack around and have a top 10 rushing attack...  I think that should be enough to get us back into the playoffs.  This team can win a bunch of games if our offense helps carry the load.
Thanks for clarifying, Wet. Yeah, I knew it was something like that. Crazy good on D.

Thanks for clarifying, Wet. Yeah, I knew it was something like that. Crazy good on D.
I was curious and dropped it down to win/loss when the Vikings scored 20 ppg...  the Vikings record is still a staggering 22-6.  Just think if the Vikings don't have any clunkers on offense this season and their lowest final score is 20 points scored in a game.  The Vikings would win at least 12 games and likely 13 or 14.
BOOM