Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$84 million for this
The reality is that defenses have changed how they are covering Thielen and Diggs.  They are getting doubled more often than not.
The Vikings are at or near the top in shortest completions overall due to the lack of running game and no, adding more carries is not going to improve that much.
So defenses are doubling the two WRs and playing close to the LOS to take away short passes daring the Vikings to pass it further down field.
Since the line if so awful, there really is not much time.  There will always be a play or two where someone is open from the end zone angle up high that people point to as evidence that Cousins is not seeing things.  Easy to say from the couch.  Standing on the field with these large humans in front of you and trying to get out the way so you can, you know, step into a throw is much much tougher.
I do think that Cousins really should have been looking Thielen's way on that 4th down play.  I mean, the dude has 100 catches and I would have wanted to go to the money man there.  He deserves it and has proven he wins more often than not.
Cousins is not going anywhere for at least one more season and will have to agree to a trade at the end of next season.
So Spielman had better quit relying on late round picks and UDFAs to some starter spots and the depth on his offensive line.
It really comes down to the GM.
You give a guy 84 mil guaranteed and then you pass on a guard in the 1st round to get yet another corner even if he was or looked like a good one.  Why not double up on the offensive line with your first two picks.
But he is smarter than the rest of us so we just have to ....  trust the process.

A buddy at work is a Cowboys fan and when I came to work this morning he asked good-naturedly, "If a team doesn't have an offensive line, can they just forfeit the rest of the season?"
He said the same thing many on this board do week after week.  If you can't run the ball...and the QB doesn't have time to pass...and the defense is required to stay on the field longer, the impact of 5 large humans NOT doing their job affects everyone.
Passing on quality offensive linemen in the last several drafts and settling for castoffs and "value" picks in later rounds is why we're where we are today folks.  MarkSP18 is correct.  The opposition knows it and we're going to see the same thing for the rest of the season.