Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Dalvin Cook could be out until after the bye week
Quote: @Wetlander said:
I don't know why some have an issue with calling Cook a "bust"...  yes, he has shown he can be a difference maker at the NFL level.  But you can't help the team if you're always hurt and the fact of the matter is...  he's only played 4 full games out of 23 regular season games since we drafted him.
Unless he gets healthy soon and shows that game changing talent for the second half of the season, the Vikings probably need to bump RB up higher on their list of needs heading into next season.
While I don't think he's a bust, I do regret we had to move up in the draft to get him.  There were  other backs available we could've nabbed that are now doing quite well for other teams. 

I guess hindsite is truly 20/20.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
Murray is nothing special but damn glad we have him. Cook is maybe special if he could ever play. I think we should keep shopping.

I think people undervalue Murray. Outstanding blocker, especially in pass protection; very good in short yardage, reliable receiver, can handle a workload, reads and follows blocks. Not Barry Sanders but few are.
At the same time many people are really optimistic about Mike Boone and Roc Thomas. Based on...what? 15 carries for 67 yards between the two of them? Just because the Chiefs got Kareem Hunt in the 3rd round and the Bears picked Jordan Howard in the 5th, it doesn't mean our UDFAs will become even serviceable RBs. I think the team was ready to let Murray leave because they assumed Cook would recover fully, and if our ground game was now in the hands of Boone, Thomas, and Ham, we might all be wishing for the days of Matt Asiata.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@suncoastvike said:
Murray is nothing special but damn glad we have him. Cook is maybe special if he could ever play. I think we should keep shopping.

I think people undervalue Murray. Outstanding blocker, especially in pass protection; very good in short yardage, reliable receiver, can handle a workload, reads and follows blocks. Not Barry Sanders but few are.
At the same time many people are really optimistic about Mike Boone and Roc Thomas. Based on...what? 15 carries for 67 yards between the two of them? Just because the Chiefs got Kareem Hunt in the 3rd round and the Bears picked Jordan Howard in the 5th, it doesn't mean our UDFAs will become even serviceable RBs. I think the team was ready to let Murray leave because they assumed Cook would recover fully, and if our ground game was now in the hands of Boone, Thomas, and Ham, we might all be wishing for the days of Matt Asiata.
I like Murrays game. He is a do everything good, nothing great RB. Better then average blocker. I would be ok to resign him next year.

Quote: @greediron said:
@TBro said:
Not looking good. I didn't realize that if they used the hamstring muscle to repair the torn ACL it can have lasting side effects that may be causing the constant setbacks. There are a ton of articles on this subject if you Google it. 

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/10/24/18018124/report-vikings-running-back-dalvin-cook-could-be-out-until-after-the-bye-week
Do we know for sure that was the method of repair?  My son just went through ACL reconstruction last week.  They took tendon from the patellar tendon rather than the hamstring.  Supposedly this is the newer and better method.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/acl-surge...ns-2548474

We don't, and I doubt we will get that level of detail since it's protected information. It's all coincidental speculation but since this is a common issue with ACL patients I felt it was worthy of mentioning especially with the amount of time he is missing. I don't believe the Vikings have disclosed what the grade this injury is. You have to wonder if it's at least a partial to full tear(Grade 2 or 3). If they shut him down until after the bye, that will be 9 weeks of rehab. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I don't know why some have an issue with calling Cook a "bust"...  yes, he has shown he can be a difference maker at the NFL level.  But you can't help the team if you're always hurt and the fact of the matter is...  he's only played 4 full games out of 23 regular season games since we drafted him.
Unless he gets healthy soon and shows that game changing talent for the second half of the season, the Vikings probably need to bump RB up higher on their list of needs heading into next season.
 Well his starts/yardage/TD stats are similar to Treadwell's...  soooo he's got that going for him.
Cook 2 years on the team - 7 starts/ 452* yards/ 2 Tds.
Treadwell 3 years on the team - 11 starts/ 406* yds/ 1 Td. 

*I did not include Cooks receiving yards or Treadwell's rushing yards.