Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on 49er game
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I'll add this, as good as Diggs and Thielen are, I still yearn for one more really good WR. I think it drops off a lot after those 2. 

Also looks like KC will look for Treadwell more  than Keenum did - at least for now. 
This was one of my key takeaways, too. I think Kendall Wright arriving DOA may really hurt this offense, because he was supposedly. We have 2 receivers who are great in Thielen and Diggs, and yes, both can go deep, but they do their best work in the intermediate range. It really looked like our offense was getting jammed up in the second half, and I wonder if stretching the field could have changed that. 

Treadwell is...OK, but given his physical limitations, he can't drop ANY passes that are right on the numbers, as he did in the first quarter. Cousins will quit trusting him if that continues. 

Zimmer said the reason Hughes struggled just a bit was because they put him in at outside corner and he had been practicing in the nickel. They gave Holton Hill a brief shot but he was lost. So Hughes did well considering what was being asked of him. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:
I'll add this, as good as Diggs and Thielen are, I still yearn for one more really good WR. I think it drops off a lot after those 2. 

Also looks like KC will look for Treadwell more  than Keenum did - at least for now. 
This was one of my key takeaways, too. I think Kendall Wright arriving DOA may really hurt this offense, because he was supposedly. We have 2 receivers who are great in Thielen and Diggs, and yes, both can go deep, but they do their best work in the intermediate range. It really looked like our offense was getting jammed up in the second half, and I wonder if stretching the field could have changed that. 

Treadwell is...OK, but given his physical limitations, he can't drop ANY passes that are right on the numbers, as he did in the first quarter. Cousins will quit trusting him if that continues. 
that was possibly the best result of that play,  he wasnt going to get the first down and if he had caught it there was a chance he wasnt going to keep it as IIRC there were 3 niner defenders right there to jack him up as he would have been trying to put the ball away.   I thought that was a poor decision by KC to go to him in that instance.  If there is one know on Cousins its that he has shown that he doesnt protect his receivers with his decisions to throw them into coverage at times... I know its not his job,  but he doesnt do much without those quality receivers on the field.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:

I hope we wont miss Jarius Wright too much...I sure appreciated him last year. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
• Having good players is good. Once again, I don't think our game plan was very sound. At critical moments, really good players made really good plays, from Diggs to Harry to Waynes to Cousins to Hunter to Richardson to Thielen. League average players don't make those plays. And it was the difference in the game. Man, Diggs and Thielen are so, so good.  That move Diggs made on Sherman on the 19 yard out made me giggle. If you get a chance, watch that again. The timing on that route was exquisite. 

• Jimmy G is really good. He threw some picks, but he's going to be among the elite for next 10 years. On the pick six to Hughes his receiver fell down. 

• Seems like the Vikings played a vanilla game for the most part. It was hard for me to tell since I was nearly 3 hours behind real time fast forwarding a lot, but I didn't see a lot of RPO or exotic new blitz packages. I'm guessing Vikings saving a lot for the yellow team. 

• Had to check the roster sheet a lot when the defense was on the field. Zimmer definitely getting a lot more rotation this year. Maybe too much?
Agreed on the good players.  Waynes closing speed is so elite.  That was a fabulous pass breakup in the end zone.  Diggs, Thielen, Cousins.  mmmmmm, love them throws and catches.

On Hughes INT, the WR fell down, partly because the throw was off.  It was a bad throw regardless of the WR falling down. 

Agree on the vanilla game plan as well.  I think once we got up and in control, we dialed it back.  Not going to give a full reveal on film.