Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on 49er game
• Having good players is good. Once again, I don't think our game plan was very sound. At critical moments, really good players made really good plays, from Diggs to Harry to Waynes to Cousins to Hunter to Richardson to Thielen. League average players don't make those plays. And it was the difference in the game. Man, Diggs and Thielen are so, so good.  That move Diggs made on Sherman on the 19 yard out made me giggle. If you get a chance, watch that again. The timing on that route was exquisite. 

• Jimmy G is really good. He threw some picks, but he's going to be among the elite for next 10 years. On the pick six to Hughes his receiver fell down. 

• Seems like the Vikings played a vanilla game for the most part. It was hard for me to tell since I was nearly 3 hours behind real time fast forwarding a lot, but I didn't see a lot of RPO or exotic new blitz packages. I'm guessing Vikings saving a lot for the yellow team. 

• Had to check the roster sheet a lot when the defense was on the field. Zimmer definitely getting a lot more rotation this year. Maybe too much?

O line has me concerned. 
Hope Elf gets healthy and a few guys step up

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
O line has me concerned. 
Hope Elf gets healthy and a few guys step up
Adding Elf to this line would give it a big boost, especially if it means Jones moves over to left guard. Compton had some nice plays in space. Again, he's solid on the move, but he has zero anchor. 

Ditto on the vanilla game plan. With theirs and our own defense, I expected a win yesterday and fully prepared for a fugly one too. 

While yesterday wasnt fugly, I'm not sure it's exactly pretty either. 

Shanahan is a very good playcaller

Were we playing Ertz out there yesterday? Cause we better learn to cover some tight ends one of these days. 

Sheldon Richardson didnt have a Khalil Mack game, but he made his presence felt. 

Danielle Hunter has the perfect name for how he plays. 

Yah, we need Elf back badly. Gotta move Compton back to the bench. 

Captain Kirk just getting started if we can keep him upright

Its Packer week.,,

I agree MB. This is not about talent at this point. Ok our oline needs a boost. It's about game management. This is yet another example of one of our talented players stepping up to end a game that should have been long over. Thanks Harry. 

I'll add this, as good as Diggs and Thielen are, I still yearn for one more really good WR. I think it drops off a lot after those 2. 

Also looks like KC will look for Treadwell more  than Keenum did - at least for now. 

I disagree...  I think the game plan was good.  The Vikings defense gave up a few big plays in the passing game, but they had a couple sacks and forced 4 turnovers.  Handed Jimmy G his first loss as an NFL starter.   On offense, I thought Kirk Cousins looked pretty sharp and the Vikings moved the ball really well most of the game.  The biggest issue on offense seemed to be the lack of a running game.  It seemed like there weren't any holes between the tackles... and that stalled out some promising drives early in the game.
Overall, I don't have many complaints.  Just get the offensive line healthy, get the running game going, and avoid any major injuries and this team will be really good.  Cousins definitely looks like an upgrade at QB from the past couple years. 

Honestly, I would prefer Jones over Compton at guard and Isadora at center until Elflein gets back.  That combination would maybe help the run blocking.  Next week is the Packer game and we need to maintain sustain drives with the run.  This to eat up the clock and keep our defense rested and fresh.  I want to see Rodgers standing on the sideline as much as possible.

Until Jimmy G beats a winning team, I am not crowning him anything. Pretty good sure, elite time will tell. Harrison had a fantastic game. He was huge in the win. Hughes showed why he was picked. I know his play was set up by Kendricks but that is good team defense. Richardson definitely helped underneath and helped Linval be able to be more active. The defensive rotation is going to help keep guys healthy and fresh. The OL is still problematic. Cousins has to get rid of the ball quickly. Diggs and Thielen are amazing weapons. I am glad Dalvin is back and it was smart to use the run to settle in. It was also smart to use Murray more in the second half. It was a good test. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I disagree...  I think the game plan was good.  The Vikings defense gave up a few big plays in the passing game, but they had a couple sacks and forced 4 turnovers.  Handed Jimmy G his first loss as an NFL starter.   On offense, I thought Kirk Cousins looked pretty sharp and the Vikings moved the ball really well most of the game.  The biggest issue on offense seemed to be the lack of a running game.  It seemed like there weren't any holes between the tackles... and that stalled out some promising drives early in the game.
Overall, I don't have many complaints.  Just get the offensive line healthy, get the running game going, and avoid any major injuries and this team will be really good.  Cousins definitely looks like an upgrade at QB from the past couple years. 
I guess I'm overstating.  However this game that felt so in hand did feel like we got bailed out at the end by one of our super talented players making up for our weak second 1/2  plan. 
For this win 4 things really had to happen. There were 2 key drops that were wide open. 
49ers fumble at the goal line.
Their WR slipped maybe the ball thrown to the wrong side. Either way gift TD and gift 3 or 4 on the day. I think talent overcomes coaching sometimes. Really the Zimmer philosophy still needs some work on finishing an opponent...imo.