Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Vikings defense the best?
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I'm wondering...should I judge the Vikings D on their first sixty six quarters of football or their last six...
People are putting way too much emphasis on this "last 6 quarters" BS...  I mean, yeah...  We got spanked by the Eagles.  But if you look historically at teams that have had walk off wins the week prior, they all lost the following week and I think the average margin of defeat was like 24 points.

This defense if GREAT.  And it should be even better THIS season.  You know what will really help this defense that we didn't have last year?  A dynamic RB and a good QB that should help the offense be a legit top 8 unit.  The defense won't have the pressure to hold teams under 20 points because we're finally balanced with studs on both sides of the ball.

How about we quit being negative and look at all the positives heading into 2018.  This might be the best overall team I've seen in my 25+ years as a fan.  It sure looks like it on paper.

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Interesting discussion...

The Rams? Jacksonville I can see worthy of the slot for now. 

Vikings gave up 456 yards and 38 pts in that CG - ugh.
We usually only look at our own team but jacksonville's defense gave up 552 yards and 42 points to the Steelers followed up by 344 yards and 24 points to the Patriots which wasn't too bad but not great either.  In our Saints win we held them to 358 yards and 24 points and held Bree's to his second lowest QBR of the season and essentially shut him down for 3 quarters and turnovers got them back in the game not the fault of the Defense.  Case gave up a bad INT that gave the Saints the ball at our 30 and then we had the blocked punt that gave them the ball at our 40.  

Stat-wise, in most categories we were the Top Defense so I still think we are and we added a stud 3T which was our weak point on Defense - IMO
It really goes to show that in this era of NFL ball you have to have a good offense and a good defense to win it all in January. 

Look at the scores and yardage you're reciting, you'd have thought these teams were playing the Browns D.

I think adding Richardson to this team is going to payoff big - and maybe get him a big payday here too. Add KC and Dalvin (hopefully 100%) and that's a lot more horsepower on this team than the one that went into Philly in January. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I'm wondering...should I judge the Vikings D on their first sixty six quarters of football or their last six...
That kinda depends on the next 12 right?  Wink  The degree to which this defense caved and how Zimmer and staff were taken to the woodshed was quite a kick to the nadz. Alot to play for with a home SB on the line and they crapped the bed. And yah, I get Case tossing-up some really hurtful throws too. It's the ultimate team game.

All that negative said, I've been preaching with others in the know on this board that on paper, 2018 might be one of the best Viking teams since 09, 98 or 87 or the 70's. Potential is crazy good if lady luck stays on their side. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Oh boy.

https://www.cbssports.com/live/breaking-...fs/878634/
I just threw up in my mouth listening to that Aaron Rodgers ball sack licking session by those CBS hacks. 

IMO I don't care if it's #1, #2, or #5.  They are good enough to get them to the SB.  That's all that matters to me.  They are good enough to go deep.

The offense?  TBD.

Quote: @"twgerber" said:
IMO I don't care if it's #1, #2, or #5.  They are good enough to get them to the SB.  That's all that matters to me.  They are good enough to go deep.

The offense?  TBD.
Agreed.  This season is all on the offense stepping up and being more consistently good with less need for heroics.  On defense, I'd love to see more rotation and usage of depth, even if it means we're #5th ranked or something, but with fresh starters at the end of the season.

The two big questions marks for me on D:
What do the Vikings have at DE beyond Griffin?   Hunter was good in the first half but tailed off by latter part of the season.  Who else can step up?
What depth do they really have at OLB?   If Barr or Kendricks goes down, do they really have another OLB?  Gedeon?  Wilson?