Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian Robison accepts big pay cut as Vikings restructure his 2018 contract
Quote: @Jor-El said:
@StickyBun said:
Big cut for sure. One more shot at the ring. I would guess Brian will be in a more rotational aspect than he's ever been. I know the Vikes like Stephen Weatherly. 
I really hope this is true, but is it? They didn't like Weatherly enough to use him much late last year when Griffen was hurting.
Another big question regarding Robison's playing time has to do with the DT rotation. He has had a lot of snaps reducing inside, but with Sheldon Richardson hopefully providing pressure from 3T, and Jalyn Holmes and/or Jaleel Johnson potentially playing as well, there may be far fewer opportunities there.

To be perfectly honest, when Brian was out a lot last season during TC,  Spielman and other administrators found out for themselves (what the coaches already knew) Weatherly is NOT Brian!!
But he may be the one being groomed to take his place. The one thing that can't be replaced is his football knowledge and instincts.
Yes, with the addition of Richardson his moving to tackle during passing downs may decrease but not when they are doing double A gap blitzes. He will probably be put in more on the DR rotation, where he should thrive on pass rushing downs.
Honestly, I don't care how old he is, his first step and get off is still probably the one of the fastest on the team, if not his old age has made him equal to the best. This quickness is usually only seen in solely pass rushing downs. Having to read run first on most downs hinders his rush. I really don't think he will lose much playing time from last year, if any.

Quote: @StickyBun said:

I know the Vikes like Stephen Weatherly. 

You got some insider knowledge on that or is it a hunch from what you've read from the media?  The reason I ask is because I am having a hard time seeing why they would be... 
He was a HWS guy coming out that we took a chance on in the 7th round a couple seasons ago.  He's been basically invisible in the preseason against 2nd and 3rd stringers...  I just don't see the hype with him.  If he doesn't show up in training camp, I could see him being cut.

Brian Robison makes me proud to be a Viking Fan. Thanks B-Rob!