Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing opinions on QBs
Interesting discussion and lots of opinions...
Here's my emotional take, first:
1.  You gotta love the Keenum story.  
2.  You re-live that first game of the season with Bradford lights out over the Saints, and you think of that pretty girl who you knew in college, that maybe...maybe...
3.  Teddy is such a fan favorite, you gotta love how he has worked so hard to be able to get back on the field.  Good attitude, good person, good worker, talented athlete.

Now here's my unemotional take, by contrast.
1.  When the head coach comments offhand that Sam has a "degenerative knee condition", that's pretty black and white.  And the new OC says "I like mobile QBs"...Feet-of-clay-Sam is out.  Keenum looks like an option, because he fits that description.
2.  When folks who watched practice still comment about how Teddy has a minor gimp in his stride two seasons later, and you know that the injury was pretty horrific to begin, the tea leaves are pretty black and white.  And when comparing stats with Keenum, Teddy when healthy did not put up those kind of numbers consistently.  From an on the field and stats perspective, Keenum looks like the guy.
3.  When the head coach says publicly "we don't know which the real Case Keenum is", that is showing his hand that they know they have a pretty good supporting cast.
4.  When the same coach says "if I don't get this QB right, I'm going to get fired", you know he's all in on more research and in-depth analysis of the pros and cons than any of us on this board.
5.  When you have zero starting QBs under contract (when you had three), and there was roughly $20 million in cap space devoted to the three (mostly Sam), you can look about the landscape and be objective and say..."who out there would give us the best chance of winning the Super Bowl?"

The answer to that last question, like it or not, is probably Cousins.  And with all the "smoke" out there about the Cousins sweepstakes, I'm going with Cousins first (he will go to someone fast), and if they lose that sweepstakes, they will quickly go to Keenum.  Decisions have already been made, and the dominoes are already in place, ready to fall.

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
Interesting discussion and lots of opinions...
Here's my emotional take, first:
1.  You gotta love the Keenum story.  
2.  You re-live that first game of the season with Bradford lights out over the Saints, and you think of that pretty girl who you knew in college, that maybe...maybe...
3.  Teddy is such a fan favorite, you gotta love how he has worked so hard to be able to get back on the field.  Good attitude, good person, good worker, talented athlete.

Now here's my unemotional take, by contrast.
1.  When the head coach comments offhand that Sam has a "degenerative knee condition", that's pretty black and white.  And the new OC says "I like mobile QBs"...Feet-of-clay-Sam is out.  Keenum looks like an option, because he fits that description.
2.  When folks who watched practice still comment about how Teddy has a minor gimp in his stride two seasons later, and you know that the injury was pretty horrific to begin, the tea leaves are pretty black and white.  And when comparing stats with Keenum, Teddy when healthy did not put up those kind of numbers consistently.  From an on the field and stats perspective, Keenum looks like the guy.
3.  When the head coach says publicly "we don't know which the real Case Keenum is", that is showing his hand that they know they have a pretty good supporting cast.
4.  When the same coach says "if I don't get this QB right, I'm going to get fired", you know he's all in on more research and in-depth analysis of the pros and cons than any of us on this board.
5.  When you have zero starting QBs under contract (when you had three), and there was roughly $20 million in cap space devoted to the three (mostly Sam), you can look about the landscape and be objective and say..."who out there would give us the best chance of winning the Super Bowl?"

The answer to that last question, like it or not, is probably Cousins.  And with all the "smoke" out there about the Cousins sweepstakes, I'm going with Cousins first (he will go to someone fast), and if they lose that sweepstakes, they will quickly go to Keenum.  Decisions have already been made, and the dominoes are already in place, ready to fall.
what if you married that pretty girl from college??

also ive got a favre jersey hanging in my man cave. i might have to add a keenum one to the mix even if he leaves.  last year was something special. even with how it ended up. 

I'm trying to not get too attached to any one guy.  They all have their upsides and downsides.  If we could pick up Brees though, that would be a steal.

I see value in each guy but each guy has to have a different long term plan attached to him and I have no idea which way the front office and coach would like to go. 

[Image: 6h1ma5b5icmj.jpeg] [Image: b2nz3ewffiox.jpeg]
The final analytics are coming in... !  Wink  B)

Quote: @"Kentis" said:

Is that a photo of the new war room draft board???

Quote: @"NodakViking" said:
@"Kentis" said:

Is that a photo of the new war room draft board???
Free Agency QB Selector Board™️!  Wink

If only I could animate that bullseye to be moving around randomly it would be a fair representation of the process......

I rank them:
Cousins (proven productiity with his own team seemingly sabotaging him)

Bridgewater (I think his floor is 2015 and the supporting cast has gotten much better)

Keenum (not just a backup, but smells more like Josh McCown than the next Brees) 

Bradford (because 2016 was the fluke and I can't trust him to say upright)

If the reports are true and we get Cousins, I'm happy, but I'm not emotionally married to it.  Going with Bradford would disappoint me.