• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs Reach Agreement To Trade Alex Smith To Washington
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:
If Washington was smart and had the Cap Space they could put the transition tag on him and work a trade out with a team.

Because you know he won't  sign it and even if he does teams are still going to be intrested.
why would a team trade for a guy that is going to be a free agent or have to be tagged at considerably more money than what he is worth?   any team that is interested in cousins would be best served to wait and then just beat down his agents door during the tampering period to ensure that he will at least come for a visit.
Didn't KC do that with Jarred Allen. New England  with Cassel, I'm sure I can find other times its happened. 
I dont think they were set to be free agents,  maybe restricted free agents?  but it really makes no sense that I can see to trade for the rights of a guy a month before he becomes a free agent.

and really what are you going to get in return?  a conditional 7th round pick in 2 years?

IIRC JA was not going to be a free agent until after that coming season,  he still had 1 year left but he wanted a new deal because his rookie deal was shit for what they were getting out of him.
https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Vi...-104512894

Jarred Allen was tagged.

I'm not saying Washington will but they should look into it getting something out of him.  They would more than likely be getting a 3rd round comp pick out of him either way but if they could get more they should explore the possibility.   Just for the fact that there are more than 1 team looking at Cousins. 
ok, so he was franchise tagged.  thats quite a bit different than a transition tag and its a gamble that the skins cant afford with Cousins now that they have committed to Smith.   

considering that there is no compensation from the transition tag there is no reason for the skins to go that route,  or for a team to trade for his rights when he can negotiate with anybody and the team holding his rights gets no compensation if he were to sign else where.
Just let it go man.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the...li=BBnba9I

interesting article on the trade and why it works for both teams.  I was surprised to see KC get that much for a Alex at his age... but again its the redskins and without full terms of the deal we dont know how much of commitment they really made.
Strange, the article says it's a 2nd round pick, but the link inside of it says a 3rd round pick and a corner.

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:
If Washington was smart and had the Cap Space they could put the transition tag on him and work a trade out with a team.

Because you know he won't  sign it and even if he does teams are still going to be intrested.
why would a team trade for a guy that is going to be a free agent or have to be tagged at considerably more money than what he is worth?   any team that is interested in cousins would be best served to wait and then just beat down his agents door during the tampering period to ensure that he will at least come for a visit.
Didn't KC do that with Jarred Allen. New England  with Cassel, I'm sure I can find other times its happened. 
I dont think they were set to be free agents,  maybe restricted free agents?  but it really makes no sense that I can see to trade for the rights of a guy a month before he becomes a free agent.

and really what are you going to get in return?  a conditional 7th round pick in 2 years?

IIRC JA was not going to be a free agent until after that coming season,  he still had 1 year left but he wanted a new deal because his rookie deal was shit for what they were getting out of him.
https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Vi...-104512894

Jarred Allen was tagged.

I'm not saying Washington will but they should look into it getting something out of him.  They would more than likely be getting a 3rd round comp pick out of him either way but if they could get more they should explore the possibility.   Just for the fact that there are more than 1 team looking at Cousins. 
ok, so he was franchise tagged.  thats quite a bit different than a transition tag and its a gamble that the skins cant afford with Cousins now that they have committed to Smith.   

considering that there is no compensation from the transition tag there is no reason for the skins to go that route,  or for a team to trade for his rights when he can negotiate with anybody and the team holding his rights gets no compensation if he were to sign else where.
Just let it go man.
you keep coming back,  i dont see the advantage to transition tagging a player that you have no intention of keeping,  or why a team would trade for a player in that scenario.   if you want to let it go dont respond,  if you have a good reason behind it I would love to hear it,  maybe there is something I am missing.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the...li=BBnba9I

interesting article on the trade and why it works for both teams.  I was surprised to see KC get that much for a Alex at his age... but again its the redskins and without full terms of the deal we dont know how much of commitment they really made.
Strange, the article says it's a 2nd round pick, but the link inside of it says a 3rd round pick and a corner.
I read a different article that says the skins are including their CB fuller with a 2nd round pick.  thats a great haul for KC IMO.  frees up a fair amount of cap space,  opens the #1 job for Mahomes, and they add a second rounder and a high level starting slot corner back... for the price of a good QB in the twilight of his career.

and like the article says,  the Skins free up a shit ton of cap space vs tagging cousins again and actually get a short term QB that is a better player than the one they are letting walk away... and they will likely get a decent compensatory pick when somebody overpays for cousins.

I love Smith but better than Cousins? 

Let's see...Hunt>Skins RB by committee. Hill>Crowder. Kelce>Reed.

And yet they both threw for over 4k yards. Kirk had 27 TDs. Alex had 26. Smith had the higher completion percentage and far fewer INTs, but he was playing with better weapons across the board.

Wasn't personally sold on Cousins because he previously had a very underrated corps of WRs. But the genius FO gutted his weapons this year and I still watched him put up good numbers. And I watch the Redzone. He threw a lot of those picks trying to mount comebacks because their Defense stinks and his O-Line was consistently dinged up and unable to get a rushing attack going.

I preferred Alex only because I really thought that Washington would quit screwing around and sign him long term. And because I'm excited about Sloter's potential. If Kirk comes to Minnesota and Sloter deveops have can always be flipped ala Garapollo.

But for me the real head scratcher is Jimmy worrying about not having the $ to fix the holes on this team. There are exactly 2 FA 3Ts available: Richardson and Poe. The Seahags traded their second best WR for Sheldon to help put the teeth back into their pass rush. It didn't work. Poe seems to play his best in contract years.

Sorry, but I don't see either being affordable or reliable. The FO isn't dropping more money on FA OTs. The Guards can be addressed in-house and with another Draft Pick.  Veteran CBs that Zimmer can rehabilitate are a dime a dozen.

And the dirty little problem that was exposed late in the year is actually Mike himself. He refused to rotate his DEs to let Griffin get better. He refused to sit an ineffective Griffin in the Playoffs.

How does having Free Agency Cap Space address Mike's over reliance on Everson? Or the fact that he didn't make any in game Defensive adjustments the last 6 Quarters.

It doesn't. I agree with Jimmy that the whole organization was emotionally gassed after the Miracle. Having lots of money to spend on FA doesn't address that, internal reflection and learning from the experience is the only thing that will prevent a similar future outcome.

And Zimmer has shown us time and time again that hes willing to look in the mirror, talk to his mentors and colleagues and grow.

Rick and Mike will draft a DE high and work him into a rotation. They will add more pieces to the O-Line ala Elf and Izzy. They'll find someone like Easley to be the bridge to JJ.

But they won't find a guy who can come in and throw for 4,000 Yards and 25+ TDs with zero health questions in the Draft or in-house.

I was disappointed to see this news because I thought there was a chance the Vikings could obtain Smith. But the cost was too high: Redskins gave up their 3rd (approximately the #77 pick) and Kendall Fuller, so what would we have needed to offer? Fuller's value is higher than Mac Alexander, maybe the same as Trae Waynes. So we might have needed to trade one of those and our 2nd-round pick? No thanks - I'm getting spoiled by having quality CB play (most of us certainly remember Wasswa Serwanga). Then add the contract Smith is getting to the deal and it's too much.
Here's a prediction to incite the masses: Andy Reid will bring in Kaepernick to backup Mahomes.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
I love Smith but better than Cousins? 

Let's see...Hunt>Skins RB by committee. Hill>Crowder. Kelce>Reed.

And yet they both threw for over 4k yards. Kirk had 27 TDs. Alex had 26. Smith had the higher completion percentage and far fewer INTs, but he was playing with better weapons across the board.

Wasn't personally sold on Cousins because he previously had a very underrated corps of WRs. But the genius FO gutted his weapons this year and I still watched him put up good numbers. And I watch the Redzone. He threw a lot of those picks trying to mount comebacks because their Defense stinks and his O-Line was consistently dinged up and unable to get a rushing attack going.

I preferred Alex only because I really thought that Washington would quit screwing around and sign him long term. And because I'm excited about Sloter's potential. If Kirk comes to Minnesota and Sloter deveops have can always be flipped ala Garapollo.

But for me the real head scratcher is Jimmy worrying about not having the $ to fix the holes on this team. There are exactly 2 FA 3Ts available: Richardson and Poe. The Seahags traded their second best WR for Sheldon to help put the teeth back into their pass rush. It didn't work. Poe seems to play his best in contract years.

Sorry, but I don't see either being affordable or reliable. The FO isn't dropping more money on FA OTs. The Guards can be addressed in-house and with another Draft Pick.  Veteran CBs that Zimmer can rehabilitate are a dime a dozen.

And the dirty little problem that was exposed late in the year is actually Mike himself. He refused to rotate his DEs to let Griffin get better. He refused to sit an ineffective Griffin in the Playoffs.

How does having Free Agency Cap Space address Mike's over reliance on Everson? Or the fact that he didn't make any in game Defensive adjustments the last 6 Quarters.

It doesn't. I agree with Jimmy that the whole organization was emotionally gassed after the Miracle. Having lots of money to spend on FA doesn't address that, internal reflection and learning from the experience is the only thing that will prevent a similar future outcome.

And Zimmer has shown us time and time again that hes willing to look in the mirror, talk to his mentors and colleagues and grow.

Rick and Mike will draft a DE high and work him into a rotation. They will add more pieces to the O-Line ala Elf and Izzy. They'll find someone like Easley to be the bridge to JJ.

But they won't find a guy who can come in and throw for 4,000 Yards and 25+ TDs with zero health questions in the Draft or in-house.
when I say FA,  i am talking about outside and inside,  we have some monster deals to make in the next few years and having an extra 5 to 7 million or more would go a long way in retaining the young talent that we are amassing.

I dont think our roster is as deep as we would like to think,  we need to be looking to add at least 1 CB this year (Newman)  1 OG (Berger) 1 DT ( TJohnson) and likely 1 or 2 more for sure.  It would be great to say we will do it through the draft,  but I dont think we can just say for sure that we will fill these positions with in house guys or yet to be drafted players.  These are going to be immediate needs with nothing for sure so I say we need to go to FA to try and fill them.  We will then use the draft to try and add better depth to the rest of the roster.  These FA dont have to be household names, but they will still cost 10-15 million between them at a minimum.  we always think we have all this cap space to play with,  but every year we seem to not get as much as we were thinking before FA starts.  I am sure Zim is going to try and add at least 1 higher dollar piece to his puzzle.