Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case's Cinderella Story Ending?
Case is clearly a starter in this league, but I think he’s a
mid level QB who needs a solid support structure around him.  I look at Cam Newton.  He looked unstoppable when everything was
perfectly in place, a great defense, always playing with a lead, etc.  It didn’t take much, Matt Kalil at LT, Ryan
Kalil taking a hiatus for a while.  Greg
Olsen being on IR for a while.  That great
defense being just a notch worse towards just being good.  All of a sudden he’s not playing with a
lead.  He’s getting unblocked rushers,
etc.  He just looks massively more
beatable.

I think if you put Case on an average team.  His mobility in the pocket starts to look
like happy feet if his receivers aren’t as good at getting open or the OLine is
letting more guys through.  If his
receivers aren’t top of the league in catching contested balls, drives
stall.  If the defense isn’t smothering
offenses, now he’s playing from behind more often, making riskier throws and
having to force the ball into coverage.

That said, I think our defense is built for the long haul.  I think our receiving group should be
available for several years.  I’m not as
confident in our OLine.  I think an
injury to Reiff or Elflein would really set us back.  We were so undisciplined in the last several
years, and this year we look pretty disciplined.  I’m not sure 
what to allocate it to.  My gut
feeling is that Reiff and Elfein are noticeable talent improvements over what
we had last year and that Shurmur’s playcalling is keeping pressure from
committing too hard with a ton of screens. 
Another Elflein would go a long way.

Quote: @medaille said:
Case is clearly a starter in this league, but I think he’s a
mid level QB who needs a solid support structure around him.  I look at Cam Newton.  He looked unstoppable when everything was
perfectly in place, a great defense, always playing with a lead, etc.  It didn’t take much, Matt Kalil at LT, Ryan
Kalil taking a hiatus for a while.  Greg
Olsen being on IR for a while.  That great
defense being just a notch worse towards just being good.  All of a sudden he’s not playing with a
lead.  He’s getting unblocked rushers,
etc.  He just looks massively more
beatable.

I think if you put Case on an average team.  His mobility in the pocket starts to look
like happy feet if his receivers aren’t as good at getting open or the OLine is
letting more guys through.  If his
receivers aren’t top of the league in catching contested balls, drives
stall.  If the defense isn’t smothering
offenses, now he’s playing from behind more often, making riskier throws and
having to force the ball into coverage.

That said, I think our defense is built for the long haul.  I think our receiving group should be
available for several years.  I’m not as
confident in our OLine.  I think an
injury to Reiff or Elflein would really set us back.  We were so undisciplined in the last several
years, and this year we look pretty disciplined.  I’m not sure 
what to allocate it to.  My gut
feeling is that Reiff and Elfein are noticeable talent improvements over what
we had last year and that Shurmur’s playcalling is keeping pressure from
committing too hard with a ton of screens. 
Another Elflein would go a long way.
Agree with your take on Case.

As to the o-line.  I have said that Elflein is our offensive MVP.  I think we have not had a quality center since Sully was healthy.  Berger was not good in pass pro, calling protections and being the QB of the line.  Watching the two games he missed, our pass pro suffered. 

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
It is kind of interesting that many here do not mention that Case actually had less starts than Bridgewater to begin this season.  And he NEVER was given the #1 QB duties during the off season and was groomed to be the starter.  Teddy was for one year at least.  Of course this comes with not getting drafted vs being drafted in the 1st round. 

But it still speaks to Case's development as a QB.  He now has 38 starts and has gone 20-18.  He has completed 62% of his passes with 46 TDS and 27 INTs.  Not bad really.

I think the one thing that he is not getting enough credit for this year is his ability to avoid sacks and extend plays by moving around and scrambling.  He has kept alive many plays by doing this which in turn has allowed the receivers to work themselves open.  I do not know how many but both Diggs and Thielen have made a good number of catches in these situations.  At least 10 each I would say over the course of the season and probably more.

His mobility is understated and his passer rating when outside the pocket is best in the league (if I am not mistaken).

Gonna be tough to not offer him a new deal after the season he has completed especially if they win this week and even moreso if they make the Super Bowl.

How can the Vikings not offer him the starting role if they make the Super Bowl?

That would be gutsy.
if he keeps the offense effective throughout the playoffs he will be offerred a LT contract i have no doubt

Quote: @greediron said:
@NodakViking said:
@HappyViking said:
@Kentis said:
I don’t know Happy, but to tell the truth I didn’t think much of Tarkenton when he was playing either!  Wink
Fran was a true gamer that was also was very accurate.  Yeah, he rarely threw spirals, and his deep ball was usually these high floating rainbows, but somehow he got the job done.

I agree Case is a bit like that.  He looks awkward at times, and doesn't always throw with the zip or velocity you'd like, but he's getting the job done.

Case is a leader, and hopefully his best is yet to come.
Unfortunately Fran didn't get it done 4 times.......:#
touche'