Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better make sure you are sitting down before reading....
[Image: q3aedjoq4q9z.jpeg]

Man when I was growing up, I thought making it to 4 SuperBowls in 1 decade, was the norm!

Feels like the mid-70s again. Vikes on top, Celtics on top....now all I need is the Big Red Machine to do something...

This one feels different.  I remember all the way back to Joe Kapp...but I do not remember an all-stifling defense like this one.  Especially the last 2/3 of the season, it felt like they started hitting on all cylinders.

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
@"Mark Janda" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

'99 and '09? I wish. Sadly, I go back to the 1969 season - SB in 1970. That was the only SB I thought we should definitely win. I would have said the same in '98 and '09 but we did not make it. So, yeah, cautious optimism for me.
I wasnt born until 73 so the PPEs were barely a memory, I have faint memories of those 70s games,  but not really enough to point to that as an emotional scar.   My pain began in the 80s,  with the 87 CG being the first open wound.   I think to truly feel the pain you have to have been through at least 2 emotional losses.    for you old timers that vividly remember the 60s and 70s... at some point doesnt shock and numbness take over and kind of block out the pain?
It's losing when you know you have the best team - not just the better team on the field that day - that really gets me. That's what we had in '69 and in '98 for sure and in '09, too. Going on memory here (could be made up by now) buy I recall being a 2 TD favorite against KC in the SB and I think we killed them to open the next season - lots of good that did.  In '98, the Broncos were already set as AFC champs. They celebrated our loss to Atlanta more than the Falcons did. Our NFCCG game was their SB.
There is some shock. Not so sure about the numbness. At least at my age I don't stomp around like I did when I was 9 and we lost to KC. But give me a few more years and we'll see.

Actually, in '98 the Jets/Broncos game was the late game after we lost to the Falcons.  I remember it because I was listening to it while driving back to Nebraska in a blizzard.  Ended up having to stop for the night in Worthington.  You're right about KC, though.  First week of the merged NFL/AFL schedule the Vikes won 27-10. 
I'm sure you're right about the order of the games. The memory can be made up; the feelings are real. And Denver played the Jets?!  It would be like us playing Detroit for the NFCCG. They're OK, but the outcome would not be in question.  Atlanta was a good team,  . . . . we should have won that one.
Gotta remember.  That was the Jets team that was coached by Parcells with Belichick as their DC.  They were pretty, pretty good.

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
I have seen all 4 Super Bowl losses with the Raiders loss being particularly painful.
1998 was very painful as well.  It took a while for me to come to view that 1998 season as being fantastic!
I mean every week the team was whuppin' butts.
The journey was worth every penny even though they came up short.

2009 was another doozy but not too bad for me as I felt a disconnect with Favre as the QB.  Have to admit that.
I still wanted to win but it felt like sleeping with the enemy.

This year has been a very surprising ride especially with the QB situation.
The defense has been top notch though.

As long as the defense does not have a severe breakdown then the Vikings should be in every game.
I only worry about the offense being able to put up some points.
I think the Bears played the team differently and were purposely trying to keep Keenum in the pocket.
At least that is what I thought I saw.  Of course I was drinking so who knows?

Either way I will enjoy it!

[Image: 7112637-Viking-Beer-0.jpg]
where can I get those beers?

None of these teams scare me but I ain't going to get all loopy about it.  This team has more than your average any given Sunday in em.  Along as the fans dont do the stupid wave they'll be all right