Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teddy Working Out With Diggs And Landry
I love that he is working as hard as he can on the game while rehabbing the leg. He's not out there for a "rah rah," or a token video. He's trying to get after it. It's not real football, but the things he has been able to do certainly will help knock some rust off and then some. OTAs are huge, and he was doing what he could.

The PUP makes a lot of sense. Not being mentally up to speed or prepared in this new offense won't be an insurance reason to put him on the PUP though. And here's the thing... Teddy has to know what's ahead there, and with his contract. He has no reason to bust his tail now like he his. He's putting in the grind as if he's going to play irregardless. Come on, he has to know he's looking at the PUP for at least 6 weeks. He's taking it in stride. And rightfully so; he's young, smart... he's got a lot of football ahead of him if he can remain healthy - or at least, another opportunity.

Either he's just wired that way and pushing forward with a smile, or he really thinks his leg will be ready to go enough that he needs to take reps and get whatever advantage he can for when he makes a call. The Vikes can PUP him irregardless of his opinion/desire to play, sure, but certainly some kind of statement will be made of Bridgewater's side regarding his availability as camp rolls around. I'm curious what he has to say himself about his situation when camp begins; I think he enjoys playing here and if he somehow convinces the staff and office to keep him off the PUP week 1, I think Teddy might not even be thinking about Bradford or "starting" by the time he'll need or want to make a contract decision. Teddy could sign in between his PUP mandated salary and the off-the-table-now 5th year option price, and heck, we don't even have to stop talking about Bradford's pending mega-deal, if the stars align. But that's a separate thing... 

Bridgewater only needs to be on the PUP by the start of the season. PreSeason rosters are 90 guys. Could the Vikes just eat a roster spot and let Teddy do some gimmicky stuff on the practice field while he "rehabs" at training camp? 

I have a weird feeling that it could go like that. They'll let Teddy take reps and "play" in Training Camp if he wants to. No preseason games. As cuts go by and roster requirements shrink heading towards Week 1, they'll slide him on the PUP. I think we'll question how ready he is/was all the way up to mid-season, when the Vikes actually have to make a call one way or another to take him off. If he's "ready," he'll have a lot of hype as a emergency-ready backup simply from taking reps in training camp and OTAs. With so much right about activating him from a football stance, not activating him at that point would be a smack-in-the-face dose of reality regarding his status.

I'm eager for things to start and see where Teddy is really at, one way or another. I expect a lot of "we're working hard" day in and out, and not much coddling or explaining Teddy's situation day in and out. If they want to PUP him after rehabbing on the roster through Camp, I don't think anyone in the organization would admit it and let it be spun like a side show. I'm eager to see what he directly has to say about his status, one way or another.

Quote: @SkolVikings44 said:
@RS Express said:
Am I the only one who immediately thought, "Why isn't Diggs with Bradford?"  If you're going to work out with a QB, it should be the one who will be playing this fall.  Makes me wonder what Sam is doing these days...
Sam is working hard.
Didn't mean to insinuate he wasn't, just curious why Diggs couldn't get his schedule to fit with Bradford. I wish Teddy all the luck in his rehab, but he's not the QB our WR's should be seeking out.

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
I love that he is working as hard as he can on the game while rehabbing the leg. He's not out there for a "rah rah," or a token video. He's trying to get after it. It's not real football, but the things he has been able to do certainly will help knock some rust off and then some. OTAs are huge, and he was doing what he could.

The PUP makes a lot of sense. Not being mentally up to speed or prepared in this new offense won't be an insurance reason to put him on the PUP though. And here's the thing... Teddy has to know what's ahead there, and with his contract. He has no reason to bust his tail now like he his. He's putting in the grind as if he's going to play irregardless. Come on, he has to know he's looking at the PUP for at least 6 weeks. He's taking it in stride. And rightfully so; he's young, smart... he's got a lot of football ahead of him if he can remain healthy - or at least, another opportunity.

Either he's just wired that way and pushing forward with a smile, or he really thinks his leg will be ready to go enough that he needs to take reps and get whatever advantage he can for when he makes a call. The Vikes can PUP him irregardless of his opinion/desire to play, sure, but certainly some kind of statement will be made of Bridgewater's side regarding his availability as camp rolls around. I'm curious what he has to say himself about his situation when camp begins; I think he enjoys playing here and if he somehow convinces the staff and office to keep him off the PUP week 1, I think Teddy might not even be thinking about Bradford or "starting" by the time he'll need or want to make a contract decision. Teddy could sign in between his PUP mandated salary and the off-the-table-now 5th year option price, and heck, we don't even have to stop talking about Bradford's pending mega-deal, if the stars align. But that's a separate thing... 

Bridgewater only needs to be on the PUP by the start of the season. PreSeason rosters are 90 guys. Could the Vikes just eat a roster spot and let Teddy do some gimmicky stuff on the practice field while he "rehabs" at training camp? 

I have a weird feeling that it could go like that. They'll let Teddy take reps and "play" in Training Camp if he wants to. No preseason games. As cuts go by and roster requirements shrink heading towards Week 1, they'll slide him on the PUP. I think we'll question how ready he is/was all the way up to mid-season, when the Vikes actually have to make a call one way or another to take him off. If he's "ready," he'll have a lot of hype as a emergency-ready backup simply from taking reps in training camp and OTAs. With so much right about activating him from a football stance, not activating him at that point would be a smack-in-the-face dose of reality regarding his status.

I'm eager for things to start and see where Teddy is really at, one way or another. I expect a lot of "we're working hard" day in and out, and not much coddling or explaining Teddy's situation day in and out. If they want to PUP him after rehabbing on the roster through Camp, I don't think anyone in the organization would admit it and let it be spun like a side show. I'm eager to see what he directly has to say about his status, one way or another.
Very good post...I think day 1 of camp he's probably placed on the PUP...that's typically what happens...

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/7/29/...difference

Once a player practices during Training Camp, they are no longer eligible for the PUP List. 

Quote: @RS Express said:
@SkolVikings44 said:
@RS Express said:
Am I the only one who immediately thought, "Why isn't Diggs with Bradford?"  If you're going to work out with a QB, it should be the one who will be playing this fall.  Makes me wonder what Sam is doing these days...
Sam is working hard.
Didn't mean to insinuate he wasn't, just curious why Diggs couldn't get his schedule to fit with Bradford. I wish Teddy all the luck in his rehab, but he's not the QB our WR's should be seeking out.
Agree completely with your sentiments (and have no doubt Sam is working hard). I would hate to see players taking sides in the Sam v Teddy discussion the way posters have..

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@RS Express said:
@SkolVikings44 said:
@RS Express said:
Sam is working hard.
Agree completely with your sentiments (and have no doubt Sam is working hard). I would hate to see players taking sides in the Sam v Teddy discussion the way posters have..

Seems, to me anyway, it's not that big of a deal... It's off season workouts. I mean Jarvis Landry (not even on the team) is working out with them and last year with Antonio Brown. Maybe I'm being too dismissive (hopefully not).  

Love to see news he is working out.  Activate him after week 6 as the primary backup.  Best case scenario IMO

Quote: @RS Express said:
@SkolVikings44 said:
@RS Express said:
Sam is working hard.
maybe Diggs has worked with Sam,  maybe Sam is at a family reunion this weekend?  hell maybe Sam is doing body shots off of hookers bodies in vegas this week?  they had their otas and mini camps and this few weeks prior to camp they are supposed to decompress a little ahead of the grueling schedule they have coming up.  for all we know Sam and Diggs spent a ton of time together up to this point working on their chemistry.  everybody deserves and needs a little time away from it all.

I think Teddy and Diggs are friends away from football. As far as Jarvis Landry, isn't he someone Teddy either played against in high school or played with on his high school team? I don't know, but I think Teddy has a lot of friends in the league outside of his Vikings teammates. I also think the word "workout" is a bit subjective. It could mean lifting weights together, it could mean throwing the ball around. It's an informal thing at any rate. I want to believe Teddy is going to make it all the way back as much as anyone, but I'm in a holding pattern until I see him back in uniform in a real game, preseason or otherwise.

Ah, I didnt know that training camp played into the PUP. Conversely then, any player who goes down in training camp also cant be put on the PUP, right? Good to know as camp rolls by.

Still kinda think theres going to be a tug of war about his progress, recovery and readiness once were 6 weeks into the PUP. Not sure if the team or Teddy will announce intentions; the semi-secrecy about his status now seems par for the course. I'd like to hear Teddy's side and maybe fine pick through his comments when camp starts... 

I think the team is very content throwing us bones and keeping it vauge on Teddy, letting Bradford command attention with his play. The front office is stuck with the hard task of updating people on Teddy's readiness without generating a ton of hype and pressure, remaining neutral publically in the matter, and making Bradford feel comfortable here through it all. There should definately be interest in resigning Bradford and his performance early will really drive things regarding Teddy as a starting QB here.

But... PUP and franchise tag... if that's the plan, i'd think you could be a looser and care less about what you say or how others spin the situation. I dont believe Teddy wants to be a backup his whole career, but if Teddy comes back off the PUP and then gets another season behind Bradford, thats great for us long term. If Bradford gets hurt, being able to give Teddy another look is huge. When you are talking 24 games, thats a large span to stay healthy and avoid fluke injuries. So Bradford could stay healthy all year this season, its still a luxury to have Teddy available next year. If the team is leaning on "forcing" both guys to stick around, they dont exactly need to tip-toe around Teddy's injury or Bradford's contract.

... dang that was a ramble and maybe a little off course for the topic, but i'm hitting post...