Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And the strongest grip ever fumbles it on the first carry
Quote: @KingBash said:
It's crazy to me how quick people are to bash a guy who carried this team for almost a decade because he had a few flaws in his game.
I'll suggest that the "bashing" comes at least as much from his dumbass statements/attempted manipulations as from his fumbles and inability to block well.

It's not his fault that Chilly, in particular, barely bolstered the pass offense and just pushed the offense onto AD's back...but his blocking never developed, and complaints of "slavery" while being the highest-paid RB in football kinda taint the memories.

Quote: @CLOBIMON said:
@StickyBun said:
A fumble and 29 yards on 21 carries. Obviously a step slower.
There's no disagreement that he's not what he was in early seasons, but like all running backs he's always had games now and then that are a struggle:
'07: 14 carries for 3 yards vs SF
'08: 21 for 32 vs NO
'09: 13 for 18 vs AZ
'10: 14 for 26 vs NYG
'13: 13 for 28 vs NYG
He has had 6 of them this season.
Not good when you consider he has played 8 games.

Quote:@greediron said:
Teases?  WTF.  We got to watch and cheer for one of the greatest RBs ever in the game.  Most would put him up there with Jim Brown.  2012 wasn't a tease.  That was pure excitement.  Up until 2015, he was the best in the game. 

Hear, hear. 

Folks, he's at the end of his career, cut him some slack. 

Just learn to appreciate that for nearly 10 years we got to witness one of the greatest NFL players of all time. A 1st ballot hall of famer. I don't give a fuck what he does from here on out, but for 10 years I LOVED watching defenders built like cinder blocks piss down their legs when 28 was headed their way...
[Image: giphy.webp]

Quote: @medaille said:
@A1Janitor said:
This isn't bashing, imo.  

His current abilities at his age are showing though that an old running back, no matter how physically fit he is or how great his career has been, isn't worth more money than a young pair of legs ... especially a young pair than can block and catch.  

You could see over the last few years some holes that AP didn't hit.  Process time from brain to action slows for even a split second and productions slides. 
I do agree that generally RBs don't age well, but I think AD still has sufficient juice.  His main problem is that he was always extraordinarily athletic, and he leaned on it exclusively, and now that it's more ordinary than extraordinary he doesn't have the years of technique to make up for his age.  Other RBs have his similar athleticism, but they had to develop skills and techniques which transfer well into older players bodies.
I said the same when they were talking his pursuit of Smith for the all time record prior to his suspension.  I said in order to have the longevity it ill take to equal or surpass that he will have to be a better student of the game and work on the details/nuances.  He never did-ten years in and can't effectively function out of the shotgun c'mon man....

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
Teases?  WTF.  We got to watch and cheer for one of the greatest RBs ever in the game.  Most would put him up there with Jim Brown.  2012 wasn't a tease.  That was pure excitement.  Up until 2015, he was the best in the game. 

Hear, hear. 

Just learn to appreciate that for nearly 10 years we got to witness one of the greatest NFL players of all time. A 1st ballot hall of famer. I don't give a fuck what he does from here on out, but for 10 years I LOVED watching defenders built like cinder blocks piss down their legs when 28 was headed their way...

As much as I liked watching him, I would still rather have a Lomardi Trophy in the case. I would sacrifice any current or former player for that.
I think when someone considered by some to be the GOAT plays for your team a championship is expected. Peterson did more in those playoff losses to give heartbreak to the fans than a 2000 yd season did to give us joy.
He’s gone, most fans have moved on.

Quote: @Riphawkins said:
@MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:

Hear, hear. 

As much as I liked watching him, I would still rather have a Lomardi Trophy in the case. I would sacrifice any current or former player for that.
I think when someone considered by some to be the GOAT plays for your team a championship is expected. Peterson did more in those playoff losses to give heartbreak to the fans than a 2000 yd season did to give us joy.
Excellent point,  the 2000 yard season was fun,  but that fumble against Seattle was like a dagger to my frozen heart.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Riphawkins said:
@MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:

Hear, hear. 

Excellent point,  the 2000 yard season was fun,  but that fumble against Seattle was like a dagger to my frozen heart.
The Seattle game was it for me too.  I was done he fumbled in almost every major game we ever played at critical times too.  Then his badmouthing an organization that took a ton of heat for his actions and paid him a lot of dough past his prime.  Just done with it.