• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
49ers acquire Jimmy Garoppolo in trade with Patriots
Quote: @Hidalgo said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hidalgo said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@Hidalgo said:
I'm really glad the Packers didn't trade for Garoppolo
I wish they would have, that would have been awesome. 
I would not want the Vikings to face Garoppolo twice a year for the next 15 years.
That would have had him playing until after 40...Wink  
Tom Brady is 40. +  Packers quarterbacks seem to stick around a long time
Exceptions.
not the norm.

Quote: @Hidalgo said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@Hidalgo said:
I would not want the Vikings to face Garoppolo twice a year for the next 15 years.
Being Tom Brady's backup, doesn't make him Tom Brady.

2nd round pick is the same compensation The Chiefs gave up for their shot at a Tom Brady Back up, and it didn't work. None have worked out yet.

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
@Hidalgo said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@Hidalgo said:

2nd round pick is the same compensation The Chiefs gave up for their shot at a Tom Brady Back up, and it didn't work. None have worked out yet.
In fairness...Tom Brady want always tom brady,  he was a backup for a while as well.  I like garrappalo and would have like to see the team look hard at him if he hit free agency.

Jimmy Garoppolo - QB - 49ers

Coach Kyle Shanahan said he "can't promise" Jimmy Garoppolo will play this season.

Interesting. Shanahan's offense is one that takes a lot of studying and reps to learn, as Matt Ryan can attest to back in 2015. But we'd guess it would take quite a lot for the Niners not to at least put Garoppolo in there at some point to see what they have, especially with C.J. Beathard playing so horribly the past two weeks. But it's going to take time for Garoppolo to get comfortable in a completely new scheme, and asking him to start before the Week 11 bye would be a tall task. The Niners are going nowhere at 0-8 and have nothing to lose by putting Garoppolo under center for a month to close out the year. This news suggests he's not worth adding in redraft leagues.

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
@Hidalgo said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@Hidalgo said:

Great point about Cassel - and wasn't there another Brady backup who left for expected glory? Maybe I am thinking of Schaub from the Falcons. Long history of QB-desperate teams overpaying for someone else's backup - anyone else remember the Jets getting a #1 for Matt Robinson?? I think Garoppolo has a higher ceiling than AJ McCarron but both are long shots to become good starters anywhere.

Another observation: some people have been lauding the Pats for drafting Garoppolo - since they did - because they were going to eventually trade him for a wealth of picks. Well, they invested a late #2 and got a (probably) early #2. Seems a little flat to me, though they had him as a quality backup for several years. I'm surprised they parted with both Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett this year.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@Hidalgo said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@Hidalgo said:

Great point about Cassel - and wasn't there another Brady backup who left for expected glory? Maybe I am thinking of Schaub from the Falcons. Long history of QB-desperate teams overpaying for someone else's backup - anyone else remember the Jets getting a #1 for Matt Robinson?? I think Garoppolo has a higher ceiling than AJ McCarron but both are long shots to become good starters anywhere.

Another observation: some people have been lauding the Pats for drafting Garoppolo - since they did - because they were going to eventually trade him for a wealth of picks. Well, they invested a late #2 and got a (probably) early #2. Seems a little flat to me, though they had him as a quality backup for several years. I'm surprised they parted with both Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett this year.
Tom Brady backups that were supposed to bring Tom Bradys secrets with them.

Damon Huard
Matt Cassel
Brian Hoyer
Ryan Mallet
Jacob Brisset
Jimmy G

Anyone else giggle every time they read Beathard's name?