Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Much for That 3 Year Investment In Brett Hundley
Quote: @"Max" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
I'm kind of surprised the NFL has not ordered some team to take one for the league and offer Kaepernick a contract. Even a vet minimum offer (which he might turn down) would deflate his claim of collusion against him. Maybe they are more afraid of Trump's ire.
If they did that, it would be the very definition of collusion. They might hope that some team makes an offer, but if it ever leaked that they asked someone to sign him, it would be seen as proof that they ARE colluding. The NFL's case for not being a monopoly is that they are not one company, but 32 companies working together in the same industry.
you mean like the Michael Sam case where they did just that?

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Max" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
I'm kind of surprised the NFL has not ordered some team to take one for the league and offer Kaepernick a contract. Even a vet minimum offer (which he might turn down) would deflate his claim of collusion against him. Maybe they are more afraid of Trump's ire.
If they did that, it would be the very definition of collusion. They might hope that some team makes an offer, but if it ever leaked that they asked someone to sign him, it would be seen as proof that they ARE colluding. The NFL's case for not being a monopoly is that they are not one company, but 32 companies working together in the same industry.
you mean like the Michael Sam case where they did just that?
That's not accurate. They reached out to teams to see if anyone was already considering signing him:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jerry...chael-sam/

That's not accurate. They reached out to teams to see if anyone was already considering signing him:

Quote:

"A league official contacted multiple teams asking if they had evaluated Sam as a probable practice squad player,"

Obviously, the league doesn't generally contact teams on behalf of
free agents, but the NFL apparently did it in this case to avoid a
'nightmare situation.'

Sounds about the same.  NFL often cares deeply about each practice squad player and makes sure they are being considered.

@"Jor-El" said:
So then how does the NFL get to issue punishments?  I can understand the sub contractor aspect,  but they should only be able to say that they aren't allowed on the field,  how can they keep them away from practices and shit?  

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Max" said:

Quote:

"A league official contacted multiple teams asking if they had evaluated Sam as a probable practice squad player,"

Obviously, the league doesn't generally contact teams on behalf of
free agents, but the NFL apparently did it in this case to avoid a
'nightmare situation.'

Sounds about the same.  NFL often cares deeply about each practice squad player and makes sure they are being considered.
It's similar, but it's the difference between toeing the line and crossing it.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Max" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
So then how does the NFL get to issue punishments?  I can understand the sub contractor aspect,  but they should only be able to say that they aren't allowed on the field,  how can they keep them away from practices and shit?  
I don't know the specifics... but I'd guess it has something to do with what's allowed by the CBA.

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
Any bets on what #Vanguard83 thinks about this?  B)
Yep he don't care.... :o