Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Once a concern, new-look Vikings' offensive line is cruising
Quote: @NodakViking said:
It is better than I expected but I always felt the OL is more than the sum of it's parts.  A group of reliable average/good guys that work together can be an exceptional unit-I think they are working towards that.  The problem in the past was a bunch of guys as individuals that looked and measured good as individuals but in competition they were unreliable and inconsistent. This group may not wow anybody individually on paper or by the measuring tape but they are fundamentally sound and consistent which is the most important aspect for them to function well as a unit-the QB can count on them to execute play in and play out, just as they can count on each other to do the same.
good insight.  As you said, in the past we had some good individual talents, or at least looked good or were good at times.  But the cohesive unit was missing.  I mentioned this before, but will repeat it.  I think Boone for all his bluster was a decent guard.  But his tough guy attitude wasn't matched on the field and that made him a poor leader, a bad example for the younger guys.  Kalil was another guy that had talent, but his work on and off the field didn't match his pay grade.  So the two top guys in terms of pay were the two that were the worst in terms of respect or leadership.  I think that really affected the entire room.  Hard to build a good foundation when the cornerstones were uneven lumps of clay.

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
I find it ironic the naysayers that talked negatively about the signing of Remmers and Reiff.  Ironic now.  I'm just glad with the result.
I wasn't one of them, but it isn't hard to imagine why people were down on the signings.  Kudos to Rick and Zimmer and the other coaches for finding the guys that fit what they wanted.  But to the average fan, Remmers was often overmatched, got destroyed a couple of superbowls ago and didn't seem worth the money.  Reiff was a reject from Detroit.  Now it was pointed out that he was a better LT than RT, but it isn't unreasonable to be nervous about that kind of money for a guy that struggled at RT.