Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Once a concern, new-look Vikings' offensive line is cruising
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — By far the biggest concern about the Minnesota Vikings at the beginning of this season has been alleviated for now, with a stout performance by the once-beleaguered offensive line.
The new look for this group has sure gone over well. Staying relatively healthy was a good start.
"They're just solid in everything they do," coach Mike Zimmer said.

The improvement has been almost staggering, though with an entirely new lineup it's hardly fair to compare this season with the debacle in 2016 that included eight starting combinations. The quarterbacks have been sacked nine times, the fourth-lowest total in the league. The Vikings are also tied for the NFL lead with 33 plays that gained 20 or more yards. Nine of those were runs, which ranks second in the league.
http://www.startribune.com/once-a-concer...453162223/

This  is truly amazing.  Better than I had hoped.

I can not remember the last time we had an OL look like this. Hopefully they continue to perform this good. 

It is better than I expected but I always felt the OL is more than the sum of it's parts.  A group of reliable average/good guys that work together can be an exceptional unit-I think they are working towards that.  The problem in the past was a bunch of guys as individuals that looked and measured good as individuals but in competition they were unreliable and inconsistent. This group may not wow anybody individually on paper or by the measuring tape but they are fundamentally sound and consistent which is the most important aspect for them to function well as a unit-the QB can count on them to execute play in and play out, just as they can count on each other to do the same.

I don't think you can underestimate the impact Elflein has had on the Oline's performance this year. Having a mobile center who can pull opens up the playbook and allows you to attack the defense where they are weakest. Hats off to Spielman for that pick. 

One guy who has really impressed me is Remmers. I wasn't too thrilled with the signing but so far he's been a solid anchor at RT, playing well above what I expected from him. 

I find it ironic the naysayers that talked negatively about the signing of Remmers and Reiff.  Ironic now.  I'm just glad with the result.

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
I find it ironic the naysayers that talked negatively about the signing of Remmers and Reiff.  Ironic now.  I'm just glad with the result.
I was one of the biggest naysayers, admittedly. But can't argue with the results. Its been 7 games now, so the proof is there. The run game is even MORE productive in Cook's absence. No sacks allowed in 3 games? Very very good and very surprising to me.

So where does it go from here? 

I think with Sharrif, Shamar and Tom Johnson all in the last year of their contracts, it's possible our 1st pick is a 3T. I'm going to assume that the gods are nice to us and either Teddy or Sam returns healthy and is extended. But, yeah, QB is definitely a possibility as well. But let's say we draft an offensive lineman somewhere on day two. What position does he play? I'm assuming Berger retires...

LT - Reiff, Hill (set)
LG - Easton, Sirles (could upgrade here)
C - Elflein, Easton
RG - Isadora, Sirles
RT - Remmers, Collins (set, Vikings seem very high on Collins by the way)

I like Easton, but a 2nd round guard pushing Easton into a depth role at all three interior spots could make this line elite pretty good. 

If Aviante Collins can get stronger and work on some technique issues, he's got a chance. He's athletic. determined and has toughness. He's 6'4", so a tad shorter and not as long as you'd ideally like at OT. But he's not a guard, he's an OT. He's a good move blocker. This isn't my assessment, by the way: Its on a NFL draft profile.