Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A case for Case
Teddy has a better upside than Case Keenum, IMO. He's even got a better arm. I still feel that we need either Sam or Teddy in there for the stretch run after the bye if the Vikings expect to make the playoffs. Keenum has done a fine job in replacement of Bradford, no doubt. But tough road games are coming up that will make or break the season. I'd like to see TB with the time to throw in the pocket that Keenum has had this year.

Quote: @A1Janitor said:
I'm not sure Teddy showed better in the past - certainly equal with a higher ceiling.  Sam did show better. 

My point is Case might be better than they are in their current state. 
Teddy has rarely had time like Case has been getting.  When Teddy has time to set his feet and get his body into his throw I really dont think its a competition IMO.  Teddys poor mechanics in 15 and sailing throws were a product of getting hit far to often and not being able to step into his passes and follow through.  I am expecting that to change if/when he returns.

I'm not sure Teddy showed better in the past - certainly equal with a higher ceiling.  Sam did show better. 

Teddy never had a competent Line or multiple dangerous weapons to throw to, so how exactly was he supposed to show better?

Put Keenum on those teams and his QBR would be in the teens. 

We will see.  I bope you guys are right.  

I remember an elbow issue that causes him to put too much air under ball ... and affected his accuracy. 

I also wish Teddy would step up into the pocket like Case does. 

We will see.  I bope you guys are right.  

I remember an elbow issue that causes him to put too much air under ball ... and affected his accuracy. 

I also wish Teddy would step up into the pocket like Case does. 
i think the elbow issue is a result of not being able/comfortable stepping into his passes.  as far as him stepping up goes.. there was rarely ever a pocket for him to step up into and considering the guys making that pocket it likely wasnt a  safe place to hang out anyway.  I do like Case's pocket awareness.

[Image: DM1y1NgXUAED2_3.jpg]

I don’t think there’s any question that a healthy
Bridgewater or Bradford is a better QB than Keenum.  Apparently a few do, but I’m not one of
them.  Keenum has been good enough, with
the defense shutting teams down, at home, against a lot of injured defenses.  The two teams we’ve played that looked closest
to playoff teams have been Detroit and the Steelers, and we’ve lost both of
those.  I see Keenum as a QB that is good
enough to beat sub-.500 teams, but probably not good enough to consistently win
against good teams on the road.  I think
if our goal is to go deep into the playoffs, we will need to transition from
Keenum to Bridgewater or Bradford at some point.

The real question is at what point in time do we make the
switch?  I think it has a very short and
clear answer.  Whenever Teddy or Bradford
looks better than Keenum in practice.  If
he doesn’t look clearly better, just roll with Keenum.

Quote: @medaille said:
I don’t think there’s any question that a healthy
Bridgewater or Bradford is a better QB than Keenum.  Apparently a few do, but I’m not one of
them.  Keenum has been good enough, with
the defense shutting teams down, at home, against a lot of injured defenses.  The two teams we’ve played that looked closest
to playoff teams have been Detroit and the Steelers, and we’ve lost both of
those.  I see Keenum as a QB that is good
enough to beat sub-.500 teams, but probably not good enough to consistently win
against good teams on the road.  I think
if our goal is to go deep into the playoffs, we will need to transition from
Keenum to Bridgewater or Bradford at some point.

The real question is at what point in time do we make the
switch?  I think it has a very short and
clear answer.  Whenever Teddy or Bradford
looks better than Keenum in practice.  If
he doesn’t look clearly better, just roll with Keenum.
Perfectly stated. 

BOOM

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Case is a great backup. It was smart to bring him in. But he's limited. A healthy Sam or Teddy would take this team to another level. 
THIS!

I have been hard on Case, and that is not fair,  he is what he is and my issue is really with those that insist that he is playing well and should be left at the starter when either Teddy or Sam returns... that is simply not a good idea as he is not near the QB that Sam is or Teddy was on the verge of becoming.
Yeah, to me it's like saying we shouldn't put Dalvin Cook back in when he's healthy next season because clearly Murray and McKinnon are playing well enough to win. Like Cook, either Sam or Teddy takes this team and puts it in competition with the elite teams. I think we can make the playoffs with Case and compete with whomever we find there, but a healthy Sam or Teddy bumps this team a notch higher--a legit SB contender IMO. 

I hate to bring it up again because it can drive one batty, but imagine a team with this defense, Sam or Teddy, Cook, Reiff, Diggs and Thielen. 
You shot your own argument down when you mentioned "next season"  with Cook. I'm talking this season. I thing both Teddy and Sam are at best damaged goods this year. 

Teddy is basically starting from ground zero. He was on the cusp of something when his knee blew up. He was by no means a sure thing, but showed promise. He could just as easily take 5 steps back as a step forward this year. Give him another 9 months to heal and go into training camp with a real chance to compete from the get go, and I'm all for declaring an open competition, but right now, I just don't see it.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@A1Janitor said:

Teddy has rarely had time like Case has been getting.  When Teddy has time to set his feet and get his body into his throw I really dont think its a competition IMO.  Teddys poor mechanics in 15 and sailing throws were a product of getting hit far to often and not being able to step into his passes and follow through.  I am expecting that to change if/when he returns.
Lol. sorry!!  Last time Teddy set his feet his leg  fell off.

Not to you specifically but I see Kenum as a chubby girlfriend. She aint pretty but at least youre getting some. You toss her out and that might be tge end of it. If we're winning with Case I say you keep playing him. 

Sam's career is over. The Eagles took us in that trade. 

Teddy is a great guy with a fantastic attitude and smile.  Im going to go back and watch his games but I dont recall him being any more accurate then Case is right now. Teddy WAS more elusive. Who knows how it will all turn out??