Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A case for Case
I know that offensively, We aren't exactly a juggernaut, but much to my surprise, we have scored enough to win, have made a ton of key 3rd downs, keeping drives alive, and most importantly have taken care of the ball. Keenum has still only thrown 2 int's which is impressive under anybody's measure. He might not be consistently throwing for 300 yds. but with our defense, we don't necessarily need that. 

Given the current state of our QB situation, I honestly think that if Case is still the man coming out of the bye, we just have to hand him the keys for the rest of the year. The team is responding well to him, he's on a pretty good roll, and getting Sam or Teddy back up to speed would simply be a 3 week experiment that may or may not go well. 

I am grateful we've had Case, really am.

But imo we're going to need better qb play if we want to make the post-season and make some noise. We need a home playoff game too.

Damn it, I can't be talking like that 7 games in. Frigging team always sucks me back in. ugh. 

Keenum has done an excellent job as a backup. He blew the top off of the Bucs defense and has been an effective game manager in his other wins. What I worry about him is that the passing game seems to become less effective each week. Now some of that is injuries and losing players like Cook and Diggs who open up different things in the offense, but it seems like each week the offense struggles more and more to get the passing game going.

I think that a healthy Bradford or Bridgewater have the potential to open up the offense, take some pressure off of the D, and turn some of those FGs into TDs, which will be important as their schedule gets tougher. However, I think Keenum is playing well enough that they shouldn't feel forced to rush either of them back too soon. I do agree that there could be a transition period, especially if Teddy takes over, but I also think there will be a point in the season where we need more from our QB than what we can expect Keenum to consistently provide. Regardless, he's been able to step in and do more than you could reasonably hope for a backup QB to do.

Quote: @Tyr said:
 I also think there will be a point in the season where we need more from our QB than what we can expect Keenum to consistently provide. Regardless, he's been able to step in and do more than you could reasonably hope for a backup QB to do.
This...Well articulated as always Tyr. 

Case is a great backup. It was smart to bring him in. But he's limited. A healthy Sam or Teddy would take this team to another level. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Case is a great backup. It was smart to bring him in. But he's limited. A healthy Sam or Teddy would take this team to another level. 
THIS!

I have been hard on Case, and that is not fair,  he is what he is and my issue is really with those that insist that he is playing well and should be left at the starter when either Teddy or Sam returns... that is simply not a good idea as he is not near the QB that Sam is or Teddy was on the verge of becoming.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
THIS!

I have been hard on Case, and that is not fair,  he is what he is and my issue is really with those that insist that he is playing well and should be left at the starter when either Teddy or Sam returns... that is simply not a good idea as he is not near the QB that Sam is or Teddy was on the verge of becoming.
Yeah, to me it's like saying we shouldn't put Dalvin Cook back in when he's healthy next season because clearly Murray and McKinnon are playing well enough to win. Like Cook, either Sam or Teddy takes this team and puts it in competition with the elite teams. I think we can make the playoffs with Case and compete with whomever we find there, but a healthy Sam or Teddy bumps this team a notch higher--a legit SB contender IMO. 

I hate to bring it up again because it can drive one batty, but imagine a team with this defense, Sam or Teddy, Cook, Reiff, Diggs and Thielen. 

The question is whether Sam or Teddy are better than Case if/when they return.  

Teddy had a horrible injury - non-contact - and hasn't played in a long time.  Sam might have a career ending problem.  

Case might end up the best option. 

Quote: @A1Janitor said:
The question is whether Sam or Teddy are better than Case if/when they return.  

Teddy had a horrible injury - non-contact - and hasn't played in a long time.  Sam might have a career ending problem.  

Case might end up the best option. 
they both have shown to be better than what we have seen from Case these last few weeks.  outside of Tampa I havent really seen anything special at all from Keenum.  I like his grit and how he attacks the game instead of waiting for it to attack him, but his pass are pretty erratic.  about the only throw he makes with any consistency is the bootleg right and hitting the man dragging with him.  He has also had the luxury of playing 4 of his 6 games at home,  I dont know that his luck will continue when we play a good team in front of good fans yelling their asses off when he is at the line.

I'm not sure Teddy showed better in the past - certainly equal with a higher ceiling.  Sam did show better. 

My point is Case might be better than they are in their current state.