Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nashville school shooting
Quote: @Skodin said:
@greediron said:
@Skodin said:
@greediron said:
Mental health is the issue.  Sick people stab, drive SUVs, shoot pistols, long guns...

And restricting anything isn't going to stop a criminal mind bent on destruction.  These empty-soul, no purpose in life youth want to end it all in a blaze of glory.  If you don't fix that, it will keep happening.
So support investments in mental health.  Social programs that put more counselors in the street/schools to work with police departments, EMTs, etc.   Maybe not try to buy into media and politics that demonize any group, marginalized or the majority

Even then, there are so many people who are on the edge of sanity, there are still going to be people who slide through the cracks.  

Slide through cracks and purchase 7 guns from 5 different stores, why is this acceptable?  Isn't there a good conversation for both sides regarding limitations on how many guns one can own/purchase legally?

BTW trying to equate stabbings or driving an SUV into a crowd of people to school/mass shooting is a false equivalency.  Crazy people with access to dangerous/multiple weapons that can kill in mass in a short period of time in a moderate distance is the problem.  
The Waukesha SUV driver killed as many and injured more than this latest crazy person.

As to your first section, I feel marginalized by your assumptions.  Why do you assume I am the issue and not yourself.  Seen plenty of demonization regarding anyone supporting the 2nd amendment.  Maybe the media is the issue.

Maybe it isn't social programs that are needed, we have many of those.  Perhaps it is religious programs that are needed.  Or not allowing kids on apps that have predatory natures.
Don't take my statement as an attack you, it's the general we that buys into the divisiveness of us vs them.  Everyone should unplug from FOR PROFIT media and internet echo chambers.

Sure, Waukesha happened but that's more anecdotal than statistical.  How often does that happen?  Guns have taken over the number 1 spot of leading causes of children death in this country.  3,600 plus have died this year from gun related incidents.  How many of these death can be avoided with better gun regulation/management?  One side of the conversation is very protective of kids, why not push back on the issue that is the number one cause of their death.  It sure as fuck isn't drag shows.

It's a room of 800lb gorillas we are facing married with the societal rot that has been exacerbated by the internet, access to information, screen addiction. There is no turning it back now.  
Hold on.  Since we're talking "gun related incidents" I'm assuming you've left suicide in that total?  People who want to kill themselves shouldn't be counted in gun related deaths.  If they want to kill themselves they'll find a replacement quite easily. 

And can you source 3600 deaths in 2023 please?  The top result on google, Children Safety Network says on average there is 3000 gun related deaths of children 0-19/yr.  Of which, 4/10 are suicide, which leaves us with about 1800 gun deaths to adolescent humans 0-19 in the USA/yr. 

CDC does a good job of breaking down death rate.  They have homicide rate for 10-15yr olds at 1.4/100k.  The USA average is 7.8/100k which puts kids at nearly 5.5x less likely to die by homicide then an average person in the USA.  I'm having a hard time finding info on CDC that breaks down homicide though.  There's got to be more then just firearms deaths in that homicide rate. 

https://www.childrenssafetynetwork.org/i...th-suicide
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/child-health.htm

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@Skodin said:
@greediron said:
@Skodin said:
@greediron said:
Mental health is the issue.  Sick people stab, drive SUVs, shoot pistols, long guns...

And restricting anything isn't going to stop a criminal mind bent on destruction.  These empty-soul, no purpose in life youth want to end it all in a blaze of glory.  If you don't fix that, it will keep happening.
So support investments in mental health.  Social programs that put more counselors in the street/schools to work with police departments, EMTs, etc.   Maybe not try to buy into media and politics that demonize any group, marginalized or the majority

Even then, there are so many people who are on the edge of sanity, there are still going to be people who slide through the cracks.  

Slide through cracks and purchase 7 guns from 5 different stores, why is this acceptable?  Isn't there a good conversation for both sides regarding limitations on how many guns one can own/purchase legally?

BTW trying to equate stabbings or driving an SUV into a crowd of people to school/mass shooting is a false equivalency.  Crazy people with access to dangerous/multiple weapons that can kill in mass in a short period of time in a moderate distance is the problem.  
The Waukesha SUV driver killed as many and injured more than this latest crazy person.

As to your first section, I feel marginalized by your assumptions.  Why do you assume I am the issue and not yourself.  Seen plenty of demonization regarding anyone supporting the 2nd amendment.  Maybe the media is the issue.

Maybe it isn't social programs that are needed, we have many of those.  Perhaps it is religious programs that are needed.  Or not allowing kids on apps that have predatory natures.
Don't take my statement as an attack you, it's the general we that buys into the divisiveness of us vs them.  Everyone should unplug from FOR PROFIT media and internet echo chambers.

Sure, Waukesha happened but that's more anecdotal than statistical.  How often does that happen?  Guns have taken over the number 1 spot of leading causes of children death in this country.  3,600 plus have died this year from gun related incidents.  How many of these death can be avoided with better gun regulation/management?  One side of the conversation is very protective of kids, why not push back on the issue that is the number one cause of their death.  It sure as fuck isn't drag shows.

It's a room of 800lb gorillas we are facing married with the societal rot that has been exacerbated by the internet, access to information, screen addiction. There is no turning it back now.  
Hold on.  Since we're talking "gun related incidents" I'm assuming you've left suicide in that total?  People who want to kill themselves shouldn't be counted in gun related deaths.  If they want to kill themselves they'll find a replacement quite easily. 

And can you source 3600 deaths in 2023 please?  The top result on google, Children Safety Network says on average there is 3000 gun related deaths of children 0-19/yr.  Of which, 4/10 are suicide, which leaves us with about 1800 gun deaths to adolescent humans 0-19 in the USA/yr. 

CDC does a good job of breaking down death rate.  They have homicide rate for 10-15yr olds at 1.4/100k.  The USA average is 7.8/100k which puts kids at nearly 5.5x less likely to die by homicide then an average person in the USA.  I'm having a hard time finding info on CDC that breaks down homicide though.  There's got to be more then just firearms deaths in that homicide rate. 

Wow, I got the chart to behave in my browser.  CDC has 15-19s at 12.8/100k....not quite 2x the national homicide rate. Its still not the top cause though even in the worst age division.  Accidents is still the top unless you add homicide and all self harm which seems quite disingenuous to me. 

Yeah, I went further.  Murder never gets to #1.  It does get as high as #3 even into adulthood. 

But damn......don't get murdered between age 15 and 40 lol.  If you make it to 40 your chance of murder starts going way down.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@Skodin said:
@greediron said:
@Skodin said:
@greediron said:

Thanks for looking that up.  I was very suspicious of his stats, but too uninterested in his comments to pursue it further.