Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roughing the passer
they said that he’s still afforded QB protection at that point, but the ball should have been awarded to the D either way, imo…

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
they said that he’s still afforded QB protection at that point, but the ball should have been awarded to the D either way, imo…
Ok, I can live with that. The ball was clearly in the possession of the Cheifs before Carr was “roughed.”  So hit the Cheifs with a 15 yard BS call but they get the ball. That way they dont have to spend all night doing make up calls so the Cheifs win. 

Quote: @"rf54" said:
as pointed out above these rules only apply to certain QBs, how manytimes has Kirk been hit in the helmet this year?
that scramble of his where he didn't slide so he was able to pick up the first, as he was getting tackled low, the next guy came in and took a shot to his head.

Hurdling IS illegal in the NFL and it is similar to the NCAA rule. Hurdling is defined as jumping over an opponent that has no other body part besides at least one foot on the ground.
Basically, you cannot jump over another player who is standing. If they have a knee on the ground or their hand, they can be jumped over.
NAH, WE DON'T CALL THAT ANYMORE.

Does anybody know if the rule about pushing the ball carrier wase ever changed or is it being ignored like many other rules?
I did find this....
NFL Rulebook, Rule 12, Section 1, Article 4:
Quote:ARTICLE 4. ASSISTING THE RUNNER AND INTERLOCKING INTERFERENCE
No offensive player may:
Quote:
  1. pull a runner in any direction at any time;
  2. use interlocking interference, by grasping a teammate or by using his hands or arms to encircle the body of a teammate in an effort to block an opponent; or
  3. push or throw his body against a teammate to aid him in an attempt to obstruct an opponent or to recover a loose ball.
Quote:Penalty: For assisting the runner, interlocking interference, or illegal use of hands, arms, or body by the offense: Loss of 10 yards.
I’m not aware that this rule has changed recently (at the very least it did not change in 2019, based on the summary of rule changes at the beginning of the official NFL 2019 Rulebook). What the rule states is that an offensive player may not pull the runner forward, may not grasp another teammate to block a defender (i.e. a “wedge” block), or push another teammate who is not the runner.
Article 2 of the same rule allows for only the runner to put his hand on or push a teammate in order to set up a block, so long as he doesn’t grasp or hold that teammate in any way.

I guess it is like our government today.  It's not what the law/ Constitution says but what we want to enforce.

pretty sure they changed pushing the ballcarier was changed, maybe 2020ish.