Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boneheaded Play of the Game: Dan Campbell
Paul Allen said on Monday that the Lions kicker is 39% on kicks over 40 yards. The 56 yard kick would have been the longest make of his career. Knowing that, the decision to kick the FG was an aweful one.

Quote: @"badgervike" said:
https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1...97091?s=20&t=ahFHyCXlfjo93WuRytifoA
lots of coaches have "gone for the win" and been roasted when the players come up short,  its always something,  with the fans and the media, second guessing and the visceral need to hold somebody accountable instead of just saying... shit happens.  if he makes the same decision the next 2 times in a similar situation the kick is likely good,  the team wins and nobody will remember the time the kicker missed.

ive never understood some of the concepts that come from team sports...like game winning "catch" field goal" or game saving "tackle"  etc... you have a game where there are over 100 plays and every single one of them weighs the same on the outcome of the game, if one of those plays had been different every following play is likely different and you just never know which one would have tipped the scales the other way,  so why so much hand wringing and emphasis on 1 play instead of looking at the entire body of work... all 4 quarters,  all 3 aspects of the game... I just dont get the notion that 1 play made or broke a game.

especially when the blame gets put on the kickers,  they control only the final nano second of their attempt,  and when they miss peoples heads explode like they were smoking dope by the dumptser all week instead of focusing on that one nano second.  never mind the  QB missed open receivers all game,  the coach pissed away time outs on dumb ass challenges,  and the defense is actually offensive to watch.

but i digress...now back to your regularly scheduled programming....

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
ive never understood some of the concepts that come from team sports...like game winning "catch" field goal" or game saving "tackle"  etc... you have a game where there are over 100 plays and every single one of them weighs the same on the outcome of the game, if one of those plays had been different every following play is likely different and you just never know which one would have tipped the scales the other way,  so why so much hand wringing and emphasis on 1 play instead of looking at the entire body of work... all 4 quarters,  all 3 aspects of the game... I just dont get the notion that 1 play made or broke a game.

especially when the blame gets put on the kickers,  they control only the final nano second of their attempt,  and when they miss peoples heads explode like they were smoking dope by the dumptser all week instead of focusing on that one nano second.  never mind the  QB missed open receivers all game,  the coach pissed away time outs on dumb ass challenges,  and the defense is actually offensive to watch.

but i digress...now back to your regularly scheduled programming....
Cuz the drama gets all the attention.

Quote: @"JoDakota" said:
Paul Allen said on Monday that the Lions kicker is 39% on kicks over 40 yards. The 56 yard kick would have been the longest make of his career. Knowing that, the decision to kick the FG was an aweful one.
They had some bets to fulfill. It was our destiny.  

I think another factor is that it was a 3 point lead, either way we win with a TD so the biggest benefit of the 3 is forcing us to go for the win.  Based on that, I don't think a 6 point lead was worth the gamble of the short field, I would have tried to pin us deep.

Quote: @"JR44" said:
I think another factor is that it was a 3 point lead, either way we win with a TD so the biggest benefit of the 3 is forcing us to go for the win.  Based on that, I don't think a 6 point lead was worth the gamble of the short field, I would have tried to pin us deep.
Yep,  if they were sitting in a 4 or 5 point lead that forces a td and xp or 2 pt just to tie,  maybe I am more tempted right there,  but I still think pinning the opposition deep and forcing them to go further and snap the ball more makes for a better chance of stopping or turning them over.  Unless I have one of the top place kickers in the game when it comes to 50 + years kicks... I am punting and playing D.

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"JoDakota" said:
They had some bets to fulfill. It was our destiny.  
Yep, O/U was 51.5 and final was 52.