Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The mother of all polls…
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Vikings have inquired. 

https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/...16586?s=20&t=Zvg9HPb7ITo4qd802FxU2w
If we found someone to take Kirk for a 2022 2nd and HOU wants straight picks, we could do:

2022 #12
2022 2nd
2022 2nd (Kirk trade)
2023 1st
2023 2nd
… 2024 1st ? Man this last one would hurt but idk how we’re even at the table unless we include it considering what these other teams can offer in this year’s draft alone. Even this package might not be enough.

Whoever gets him is paying out the nose but he has 4 more years on his deal, is young, and as of 2020 could really sling it. 

I’m all for moving on from Kirk but Watson is going to be expennnnsive. Probably worth it but there will be some pain involved. 

*If* something bananas like this happened then yes the defense is going to stink again in 2022. Maybe even in 2023 too. But you’re playing the long game and gambling that Watson will retire as a Viking and your window might not be until 2024. Is he worth the gamble? I think I say yes but it definitely is a risk. 

EDIT- Final point- KOC and half his staff are coming over from the Rams. I understand KOC is not the GM, but the Rams are notorious for trading picks for vets. And it just won them a Super Bowl. It’s not my preferred model but it’s not unthinkable that KOC has this same “picks are risks” mindset.

I think most teams are trending in this direction. I know Spielman was a believer (see Cousins), and so likely also Paton (see Wilson trade). The last two Super Bowls were won by veteran QBs brought onto good teams (Stafford and Brady). Last time the Broncos won the Super Bowl it was with Peyton Manning, another vet. 

Interestingly, the Broncos have had 11 different starting QBs since Manning. That was 2015!!! So not that long ago.

You gotta get a vet. And if one's available you send a truckload of picks to get him. It's better than drafting the next Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Rosen, etc and setting your team back 5 years. People talk about the cost of acquisition. Steep, sure. But they forget about the cost of missing on a 1st round QB. It's huge. 
Yep. To your last point— If Trey Lance hits the 49ers are set for a decade. If he busts they’re toast dunzo nada for 5 years. So the risks are worth it but man, 5 years is a long time. If the choices are between trading a haul for a rookie or a haul for a vet, I agree with you it’s vet every time. Provided it’s a Wilson, Watson level guy of course.

Rookies excite me I won’t lie but from the outset I hoped the Vikes could somehow get Wilson. Didn’t happen so now I’m trying to wrap my head around Watson. And if that fails it’s back to watching Willis highlights  :p

The poll should have a Cousins plus other players and picks options.

Many Vikings fans here and elsewhere are ready to see Cousins traded.
Not as many but a fair amount are ready to trade Hunter too (mainly because of his next deal).
Not as many but a decent amount would trade Cook, Thielen, Smith, Kendricks, and Pierce (if that was possible).

Is that accurate?  I think it is based on the different sites I visit and partake in.

If I am running the Vikings (and be thankful I am not), this is what I would offer.

Cousins, Hunter, Cook (or Mattison if they want him instead),  Dye, the #12 pick this year, and our 2023 1st for Watson and their 2023 3rd or 4th.

If they did not like that then the Vikings could trade Cousins separately and send the pick to Houston and do the same with Hunter.

The Vikings first round picks since 2015 have been ...

2015 - Trae Waynes
2016 - Laquon Treadwell
2017 - Sam Bradford
2018 - Mike Hughes
2019 - Garrett Bradbury
2020 - JJ & Jeff Gladney
2021 - Christian Darrisaw

... first round picks are overrated really.

Thank goodness I am not the GM right?  Smile

I hope he gives the Vikings a visit. I think our GM, coach, ownership, roster, stadium and facilities would have to rank pretty high....

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1503...83938?s=20&t=2NnB0lF0UYAJK5WZlFKT9Q

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I hope he gives the Vikings a visit. I think our GM, coach, ownership, roster, stadium and facilities would have to rank pretty high....

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1503...83938?s=20&t=2NnB0lF0UYAJK5W
I would love to know if the Vikings had any interest. It would surprise the heck out of me if they did.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1503...83938?s=20&t=2NnB0lF0UYAJK5W
I would love to know if the Vikings had any interest. It would surprise the heck out of me if they did.
Not me. I suppose the reports could be wrong, but several Houston connections have said they are one of the teams expressing interest. The Vikings could, of course, be feigning interest to force Cousins hand in extension negotiations. But....

https://twitter.com/VikesCentral/status/...00545?s=20&t=SbvycAaQyGXJkrtYJEQtbg
https://twitter.com/BAMansell/status/150...97609?s=20&t=SbvycAaQyGXJkrtYJEQtbg
https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/stat...58272?s=20&t=VYLeNnw45imEkdAia8ubQw

If we are truly moving on from Cousins, this is the only way I am behind it. This would be a home run in my book. Otherwise, I would rather keep Cousins and have Brez do his cap gymnastics to make it work.

Getting Watson would have us set at QB for a decade. It would be the biggest move our beloved team has made since we brought Favre in for his brief stint…only, this wouldn’t be a stint. As a Viking fan, I don’t know how this wouldn’t excite absolutely everybody.

For those who think Watson is a rotten human being despite what the grand jury decided, we can agree to disagree. I respect all opinions. But, for now, I’m going to give this man the benefit of the doubt until it’s proven otherwise.

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
If we are truly moving on from Cousins, this is the only way I am behind it. This would be a home run in my book. Otherwise, I would rather keep Cousins and have Brez do his cap gymnastics to make it work.

Getting Watson would have us set at QB for a decade. It would be the biggest move our beloved team has made since we brought Favre in for his brief stint…only, this wouldn’t be a stint. As a Viking fan, I don’t know how this wouldn’t excite absolutely everybody.

For those who think Watson is a rotten human being despite what the grand jury decided, we can agree to disagree. I respect all opinions. But, for now, I’m going to give this man the benefit of the doubt until it’s proven otherwise.
Same. I'm convinced of three things:

1. You need a really good QB to win a Super Bowl
2. Cousins is a really good QB
3. Finding a really good QB in the draft is really hard and can take years, decades sometimes. 

So I'm all for extending Cousins. But because of #3, any time you can get a veteran who's already proven he can play at a high level in the NFL, you do it. The fact that he's better than Cousins, just 26 and a dual threat are just bonuses. Huge bonuses. Wouldn't even flinch at three 1sts. 

I'd flinch so hard you'd think I was having an epileptic seizure.