Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So you can't say the word 'gypsy' now??
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I remember some on here being mocked when all this shit got rolling for saying it would get out of hand.  We were told that common sense would kick in,  but apparently that was erroneously assuming those behind all this cancel culture BS possessed common sense.
I don't know about 'getting out of hand', but is it silly? Yep. It doesn't impact me one iota, so I really don't care. But I will call it out as a bit of an eye roll. 

It's not a big deal, really, the ESA makes a list of common names to be used when publishing information about insects.  It's a relatively small community of researchers, it's not a social movement, but I guess those that have a need to be a victim feel free to assume the position.

Agreed, add it to the mountain of eye rolls in the world...

Nothing to do with the ESA, but linked below is an interesting take on the word. I'm interested in learning more about this. My handyman, who is quickly becoming one of my best friends, is an Albanian from Kosovo. I'd be curious to get his take on all this...

By the way, if you want to get an idea how the Romani were treated during WWII/Holocaust, read Jerzy Kosinski's The Painted Bird. If you have the stomach for it. 

https://brbllamame.com/why-gypsy-is-a-slur/