Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting article on police shootings, nice to see data not opinion...
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1385274653229285377
Pretty F***ed commentary...  Does this apply to all police officers...  Hardly, I suspect a limited percentage, but would change my mind if you have data?

That was my point a week or two ago. Police involved deaths is not about color rather the number of interactions. 

The best way to limit deaths is to limit interactions by not commiting crime. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
That was my point a week or two ago. Police involved deaths is not about color rather the number of interactions. 

Crime? Like being asleep in your apartment? 

@AGRforever said:

Have any data on the frequency of shootings when people are sleeping in their apartments or homes?  Millions of negatives every night, gotta be extremely low frequency...  Once is too many but it is very rare.

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@AGRforever said:

Have any data on the frequency of shootings when people are sleeping in their apartments or homes?  Millions of negatives every night, gotta be extremely low frequency...  Once is too many but it is very rare.
The fact that it HAPPENED ONCE should be pretty fucking horrifying. JFC. What the fuck is wrong with you? It's ok if it happens just so it's not you? 

@IDVikingfan said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@AGRforever said:

The fact that it HAPPENED ONCE should be pretty fucking horrifying. JFC. What the fuck is wrong with you? It's ok if it happens just so it's not you? 
Didn't read very carefully did you?  Read again.  I said one is too many.  WTF is wrong with you that you can't read and understand?  You mentioned a tragedy that is very rare, a tragedy yes, common no.

@IDVikingfan said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@AGRforever said:

One is one more then we need but there has been plenty of messed up things that have happened in the existence of this country.  Anyone can grab one isolated incident trying to prove any point they want.  That doesn't make it a trend or mean some sort of racial bias is involved.  The cops shot a white guy up in Burnsville a week or two ago.  There wasn't a single call from the President or riot that I could tell.

The one thing this article did....conservative or not....is it used data points.  Data, not emotion make and win arguments.  The article does a significantly better job using crime data as it relates to deaths then I did in my quick assessment a few weeks ago.  If you're going to actually figure out if black people are being shot more you have to account for crime rates.  If Black people would commit less crime, specifically less violent crime, their number of shootings by cops would return to the mean overnight, exactly where we'd expect it to be. 

Any article or study that doesn't factor in crime rate is not honestly discussing the topic at hand.  In fact, I'll go as far as to say you can outright dismiss any article/study that doesn't factor in crime rates as being partisan propaganda.  Or as you like to call it Faux News. 

@AGRforever said:

seems there was more to that story... I seem to recall another person residing at that residence (as the police later learned had moved) who maybe had something to do with the situation,  also wasnt there a matter of police just returning fire after being fired upon first?

was it unfortunate,  yes,  could it have been avoided with better intel, absolutely,  was the victim completely innocent in all of this, no,  living with a drug dealer comes with risks and unfortunately in this instance her past caught up with her.  The police should have been acting on better intel,  a no knock warrant at night just screams of bad decision,  but its not like she was gunned down in her sleep.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@AGRforever said:

seems there was more to that story... I seem to recall another person residing at that residence (as the police later learned had moved) who maybe had something to do with the situation,  also wasnt there a matter of police just returning fire after being fired upon first?

was it unfortunate,  yes,  could it have been avoided with better intel, absolutely,  was the victim completely innocent in all of this, no,  living with a drug dealer comes with risks and unfortunately in this instance her past caught up with her.  The police should have been acting on better intel,  a no knock warrant at night just screams of bad decision,  but its not like she was gunned down in her sleep.

Yes the police returned fire and she was unfortunately hit. 

Its like one of my liberal friends this week doing the BLM song and dance about the black woman shot and killed in Columbus OH.  The black victim was actively trying to slash and stab another black woman with a large kitchen knife and the cop shot and killed her before she could kill the other black lady pinned against a car.
My friend couldn't answer which black life mattered in this matter.  The one doing the stabbing or the soon to be murdered one?