Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Weatherly says he’s back with the Vikings
Quote: @Knucklehead said:
I hope this isn't their only DE acquisition because while a nice rotational piece, Weatherly isn't a starter, which is sorely needed.

Who does he knock off the roster? As of now rotational DEs are Brailford, Holmes, Mata'afa, Odenigbo, Wonnum, Willekes, & Yardbrough. That's  8 reserve DEs including Weatherly.

Does this mean Odenigbo won't be tendered?
I think Odenigbo will be tendered. As a rotational piece he's probably well worth the 3rd level tender. And the Vikings could feasibly go into '21 with Hunter on one side and a combo of the aforementioned on the other. Not ideal. Not what we all want. But if we miss on a DE in free agency and/or the draft, it's still much better than what we had last year. And we have bigger needs at 3T and G. 

Still, if we're able to keep Reiff, land a starting 3T and mid-level guard in FA, then DE jumps right back to draft priority #1 IMO. 

Great to hear that media good guy & instinctual DE Stephen Weatherly is back w/ #Vikings. Deal was agreed to yesterday. 1-year, $2M base, $500K signing bonus. He can also earn up to $500K in incentives. Talked about on
@SKORNorth this morning:
3 sacks = $100K
5 = $200K
7 = $500K

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Interesting move for a team still over the cap. 
Makes me wonder if the Vikings haven't already converted some salary to bonus. These are restructures that don't even need the approval of the player, and so sometimes don't get made public right away.  

Meh.

The dude got a 2 yr 12M deal last year from the Panthers.  He took home about 4.5M.

He rewarded them with 17 tackles and ZERO sacks in 9 games before going on IR with a finger injury.  A finger?  Where is Ronnie Lott when you need him.

What he did before last year sounds good, but I look at his most recent performance as a barometer.

Hopefully, only the 500K is guaranteed.

If the Vikings draft an end like Jordan Smith, Payton Turner, Ogundeji, Elerson Smith, Patrick Jones, or some even better ends, who is going to get cut?

They have Hunter, Weatherly, Wonnum, Willekes (who many liked a lot last year including me), Brailford, and the oft moved Holmes.  They may bring back Odenigbo too.

I would hate to see Wonnum not get more snaps on account of Weatherly.

I like him and he is a fine upstanding young man but that has nothing to do with it.

Meh, depth guy who might not make the roster depending on how the rest of the offseason goes...

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Interesting move for a team still over the cap. 
Makes me wonder if the Vikings haven't already converted some salary to bonus. These are restructures that don't even need the approval of the player, and so sometimes don't get made public right away.  
They haven't. Weatherly is signing but isn't formally signed. They also don't need to be cap compliant until the new league year begins, so they can stay in the red until that point.